• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ideas on how to boost dopamine?

perchance dreamer

I haven't had a neurotransmitter test in a long time, but in the past I've tested low for dopamine. I've been really depressed lately, and it feels more physical than situational.

Soy lecithin and citicoline help me greatly with mood, so I assume that's partly the dopamine-boosting effect. Soy lecithin has a lot of phosphatidylcholine.

However, both those supplements have bad effects on my sleep.

I've tried tyrosine in the past to boost dopamine on the advice of my nutritionist and P.A., but it affects my heart rhythm.

Does anyone have other ideas for dopamine boosting? Thanks!

perchance dreamer

Thanks for the ideas, guys. DHA from fish oil is something my nutritionist recommended for mood, too, so that's something else I'll research. I had forgotten about that.

Rand56

Pterostilbene

hi Lotus

Have you taken this before and noticed any good effect? I've tried numerous supps in the past to help boost dopamine, but it's all short lived and they just peter out in their effects, and from what I understand, this is the case other people experience as well.

Lotus97

hi Lotus

Have you taken this before and noticed any good effect? I've tried numerous supps in the past to help boost dopamine, but it's all short lived and they just peter out in their effects, and from what I understand, this is the case other people experience as well.
I haven't started taking it yet. I try to add one thing at a time, but I buy things sometimes when they're on sale. I also have an unopened bottle of citicoline and PQQ.

That's interesting what you say about the dopamine supplements not working after a certain amount of time. Heapsreal was saying that he had the same experience. He mentioned dopa mucuna and acetyl l tyrosine as some of the ones he has tried.

perchance dreamer

I'm doing a lot better now. I added 1 Nordic Naturals DHA cap to the 1 Nordic Naturals Omega-3 cap I was already taking. The recommended dose of both these products is 2 caps, but I can only take 1 of each because of sleep problems.

I hadn't noticed any benefits from the Omega-3 cap by itself, but my mood brightened from the first day I added the DHA cap. Unexpectedly, it's also helping with my back and neck pain.

With the 2 caps combined, I'm getting 335 MG of DHA and 210 of EPA.

I had taken krill oil for a long time and never noticed any benefit. So I decided to try fish oil instead, especially since my nutritionist recommended fish oil with high DHA for mood.

At first it had a bad effect on my sleep although I take the fish oil with breakfast. I'm starting to sleep better, though, since I added 845 MG of inositol powder about an hour after dinner. For some reason, if I take inositol before bed, I wake up repeatedly through the night.

I'm hoping the inositol will help me enough that I can add back some of the other things that make me feel good during the day such as a normal dose of lecithin granules and ribose.

I have Jarrow Ribose powder, and I can only take 1/64th of a tsp. without it bothering my sleep. The dose they recommend is 1/2 tsp (2 grams). I also have Bluebonnet Lecithin granules and can only take 1/8th of a tsp. instead of 1 TBS, which is the full dose.

Anyway, I'm glad to be out of the dark place now. Thanks for all your responses.

perchance dreamer

The reason I didn't expect my new fish oil routine to help pain is that I had tried Nordic Naturals Omega Joint Extra:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1548

I tried it for a week before stopping it because of sleep problems, but I really didn't get any pain relief. Maybe it would have helped over time.

It's higher in both EPA and DHA than my current routine, so I'm not sure why I'm getting more pain relief now than with the joint formulation.

Lotus97

Is it possible that there's something to a DHA/EPA ratio? I heard a discussion about that in another thread, but I can't do 3 letter searches and don't feel like going through the whole thread since it's over 15 pages long.

perchance dreamer

I think you're right about the ratio being significant, Lotus, but I don't what the recommended ratios are for specific desired results. From googling, it looks like there are lots of contradictory studies on the recommended ratio for mood, for example. But I seem to have stumbled onto something that's working for me.

perchance dreamer

There's some interesting information in those links, Lotus. I hope I'm not harming myself with the EPA/DHA ratio in my current routine. I kind of doubt it because 335 MG of DHA and 210 of EPA doesn't seem to be a extremely high dose of either of those fatty acids. I'm looking forward to picking my nutritionist's brain at my next appt.

jeffrez

Selegiline (L-deprenyl) would probably work. It's used in early Parkinson's now to increase dopamine. It inhibits MAO-B, so you might have to be careful mixing it with certain things like SSRIs.

Didn't realize this was such an old thread. Well, deprenyl would still probably work if anyone else needs dopamine. ;-)

Calathea

I get my EPA and DHA from algae oil, which is the same place the fish get it from! It's called Opti3, and its 665mg per capsule total oil. I take three a day. Should I take more?

Also I'm interested in trying l-tyrosine and rhodiola rosea, so I'd love to hear people's experiences with those. I'm looking to increase my dopamine levels as I'm about 95% sure I have Restless Leg Syndrome, which is tied to low dopamine.

(Apologies if there are typos. The cat just jumped on my lap, I'm sitting with a wireless keyboard and a tablet on a stand, and now I'm too far back from the tablet to be able to read it clearly!)

Mimi

Calathea, I'm pretty sure BH4 is the missing cofactor that prevents most of us from making enough dopamine. I've taken l-tyrosine, and I've taken rhodiola, and I've probably taken both together although I can't be sure. However, I've never felt as good as when I've taken BH4 with tyrosine - in fact I got so euphoric I had to cut down my dose. It also allowed me to get lots of things organized, something I absolutely couldn't do before.

The downside of BH4, though, is it is expensive, and I worry that it may be taken off the market some day. So just in case, I'd like to know how effective rhodiola + tyrosine is. Does rhodiola contain BH4? It's an essential cofactor that I know I lack.