• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenals or POTS/OI (Orthostatic Intolerance)?

Lotus97

I don't know a lot about POTS/Orthostatic Intolerance, but I'm trying to figure out what's causing my symptoms. When I spend too much time at the computer I experience anxiety and heart palpitations. Could this just be from my adrenals or could I have POTS/OI?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Lotus97

Have you tried the poor man's tilt table test? POTS patients have very specific responses to standing and you could probably see if you have POTS this way.

Sushi

Lotus97

Sensitive to EMFs? What happens if you sit up reading a book or watching tv (not near the computer)?
The only time I really sit in a chair for long periods of time is at the computer, but I thought the EMFs were just for the old kind of TV/computer screens (CRT maybe?) and not the newer LCD screens.

adreno

PR activist
The only time I really sit in a chair for long periods of time is at the computer, but I thought the EMFs were just for the old kind of TV/computer screens (CRT maybe?) and not the newer LCD screens.
Everything electric has a magnetic field. But yeah, old CRT screens are probably worse since they use more power.

Sea

How do you do this?

Sit or lay down quietly for 5-10mins
Take heart rate and blood pressure readings
Stand up and keep as still as possible - No flexing calf muscles or weight shifting as these actions help to push blood around and compensate for any autonomic dysfunction
Take heart and blood pressure readings every minute for at least 10 minutes unless you get enough info earlier.

It is normal for the heart rate to rise by up to 25 beats. If it rises by 30 or more, and/or reaches 120 it meets the criteria for POTS.

It is normal for blood pressure to rise slightly or stay the same when you stand. If it drops (I'm not sure of the criteria for how much) it is considered orthostatic hypotension which would give you a diagnosis of OI (orthostatic intolerance).
Further investigation would be needed to determine whether it would be NMH (neurally mediated hypotension) or whether it was another form of OI

Also note symptoms - nausea, lightheadedness, dizziness, sweating, pallor, feeling awful...

Be sure to have someone with you as this test can result in a faint even if you don't normally faint. We don't usually force ourselves to stand still if we have "issues" with standing still!