• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you read 'Self help for your nerves' or 'Essential help for your nerves'

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone has read 'Self help for your nerves' or 'Essential help for your nerves' by Dr Claire Weekes?

I am currently reading 'Essential help for your nerves' and I am finding it pretty useful.

I think nobody can deny the connection between mind and body, and just wondering how strong people think this connection can be...

No matter what. I think these books are extremely useful at addressing people's reactions to their own fears, to the fatigue, to their symptoms and to their own doubts about what they can achieve. It may help some break out of the viscous circle of thoughts/fears that I know I can get stuck in

I recommend it to all.

Matt

(p.s. I am not saying CFS/ME is

Lotus97

I think nobody can deny the connection between mind and body, and just wondering how strong people think this connection can be...
I think it's both underrated and overrated, but definitely shouldn't be ignored. I'm not sure pushing past the fatigue is necessarily a good thing. It depends what's causing it suppose. I try to listen to what my body is telling me.

ukxmrv

Who is the "nobody". The more I learn the more I doubt it. I've never seen any convincing evidence between mind interactions on the body, except in the simplest ways.

I don't get caught in any circle of fear or doubts or thoughts. If I did I would be happy to read a book.

Any disabled or chronically sick patient has probably thought about this and long ago done what they can to reduce these problems. Many like myself, will simply find them irrelevant.

My sympathy to people who find themselves in this problem though. From what I hear from people who do have this very hard problem it would take more than a book to help them.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend or be patronising or preachy in any way. I phrased it badly, now I look at it again.

I understand it can also be a sensitive issue as CFS/ME is often misunderstood and I know I have been told at some time that my problems are only due to anxiety and depression... . I have spent many happy, relatively stress free years in a sick, malfunctioning body.

The onset of illness is very distressing and living with an illness affects people mentally. Stress can make symptoms worse.

I was more curious if anyone has read the books, and what they thought. Whether they could see anything in her ideas that spoke to them.