• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF314 more effective than MAF878?

jenbooks

I spent time browsing past threads on both last night. I can't take MAF878 anyway because of the kefir component required.
It is of course much more reasonably priced.
But I'm kind of convinced that MAF314 really did go through some rigorous testing to find the probiotic strains that were most efficient at producing GcMAF.

Sushi, GcMAF Australia, and ukxmrv, would you agree with this assessment?

I know the price on the 878 starter is very reasonable.
OTOH...

I am of course going to get my nagalase tested first. I have the option to do injectable, starting at a low dose. The reason I prefer a probiotic theoretically is

1) direct effect on the gut and gut immune system.
2) Ability to really self-titrate amounts, by observing response

In addition, having read about the Australian doc with a strong colostrum, I can get fresh raw colostrum, first milking, from my Amish farmer. Theoretically that might be beneficial.

Anyway I just thought I'd start a new thread on this topic above.

Thanks folks!

GcMAF Australia

I spent time browsing past threads on both last night. I can't take MAF878 anyway because of the kefir component required.
It is of course much more reasonably priced.
But I'm kind of convinced that MAF314 really did go through some rigorous testing to find the probiotic strains that were most efficient at producing GcMAF.

Sushi, GcMAF Australia, and ukxmrv, would you agree with this assessment?

I know the price on the 878 starter is very reasonable.
OTOH...

I am of course going to get my nagalase tested first. I have the option to do injectable, starting at a low dose. The reason I prefer a probiotic theoretically is

1) direct effect on the gut and gut immune system.
2) Ability to really self-titrate amounts, by observing response

In addition, having read about the Australian doc with a strong colostrum, I can get fresh raw colostrum, first milking, from my Amish farmer. Theoretically that might be beneficial.

Anyway I just thought I'd start a new thread on this topic above.

Thanks folks!

Re the gut.
60% of CFS people that Dr Lewis treats have intolerance to fructose.
Some to gluten and lactose
So this issue is the first to look at.
You may have already done this.

jenbooks

Good point but there's bacteria in commercial products, too. I have a friend who works for a nutrition company.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
jenbooks

You can also titrate the injectible GcMAF according to response, but since you only inject once a week (it is active for about 6 days) you can only adjust your dose weekly.

Sushi

ukxmrv

Hi Jen, I know of people doing well on both MAF314 and GCMAF. I'd choose the MAF314 personally if I has stomach issues that are a major part of the illness just because I have seen a transformation of one person on the yoghurt who had this predominating. Also I'd personally choose the MAF314 because morer people I know found the GCMAF hard to cope with at the start. One friend is still struggling badly. One gave up.

The downside of the MAF314 is a question mark over what it contains. MAF878 is made with kefir as you know. The 314 version uses colostrum but I don't know what was combined to make the starter formula. If I was in your position I would contact Dr Santos in Austria and ask her if she knows that no kefir grains were used to produce the starter.

It's a big decision and as we all know people with ME and CFS can react to the most innocent ingredients.

Hope that helps.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
MAF878 is made with kefir as you know. The 314 version uses colostrum

I thought the MAF 878 starter was in colostrum - have I got that wrong?

I use it - now onto the freeze-dried version - and apparently you can go dairy-free in its preparation using agar. I'm waiting to get the instructions.

ukxmrv

My MAF878 instructions said that the starter needed to be mixed with KEFIR and YOGHURT. Has that changed with the freeze dried version? Mine was early on with the liquid.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
My MAF878 instructions said that the starter needed to be mixed with KEFIR and YOGHURT. Has that changed with the freeze dried version? Mine was early on with the liquid.

No, it's still the same. I reduced my dose a bit from 75ml though because there's less volume.

Symptomatic

I am of course going to get my nagalase tested first.

Do keep in mind that results can take awhile...like 6-8 weeks. I had my blood drawn for repeat nagalase testing on 4/9, no sign of results yet (and I'm not really expecting them for a few more weeks based on my prior experiences with HDRI).

jenbooks

It's a big decision and as we all know people with ME and CFS can react to the most innocent ingredients.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot that was very helpful. I *will* contact her. My issue with kefir I suspect is the yeasts in it. They may be perfectly fine yeasts but I think my body thinks all yeasts are intolerable. I don't do well with s. boullardi either.

If it was started with kefir grains, and somehow had yeasts in it? That might bother me and would be disheartening.

I get the strong feeling the 314 is just a way better product than the 878. Just reading thru the forum you don't see the same enthusiasm or good results from 878, its milder, etc.

I will contact Dr. Santos or maybe Dr. Ruggiero.
Gracias.

jenbooks

as far as i know MAF 878 used colostrum

It was mixing it with actual kefir--he actually recommends store bought, which makes me totally sick. But even when I had fabulous kefir grains from Wayne a few years back, and the kefir tasted fantastic, I got a lot of colon pain, I think from the yeasts.

Rita

Now they are selling MAF 314 to everybody,but the new name is BRAVO probiotic, in gcmaf .eu.They are only selling for a one year supply at 2000 euros. :(. Don´t know if it is exactly the same of Dr.Ruggiero. Perhaps the most sensate is buy one year supply by two , three or four patients and test it for 6-4-3 months.

jenbooks

If you can find out if it is Ruggiero's, maybe five of us could join in. The only reason I wouldn't want to spend it all at the outset is what if I don't tolerate it. Then I'm stuck. It doesn't only have to be UK--I've used UPS to courier products on ice here to east coast USA and it took two days.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
jenbooks

I think its a starter so one person would have to make it and then again every month I would think??