• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I need DAO SNP help.

UM MAN

My 23andMe raw data lists 11 DAO SNPs. 7 are heterz, 4 homoz.
The 4 homoz SNPs are wild type or compliment, so I assume that they normal.

My question, to you all, is, how many of your 11 DAO SNPs are heterz?????

I suspect that I have an DAO enzyme deficency.

globalpilot

I'm homozygous for all. Now some of those might be homozygous polymorphisms. I don't know.
Have you considered the diamine oxidase activity test ?

I see you are taking histame ? How is that working out ? Has it relieved any symptoms ?

UM MAN

I'm homozygous for all. Now some of those might be homozygous polymorphisms. I don't know.
Have you considered the diamine oxidase activity test ?

I see you are taking histame ? How is that working out ? Has it relieved any symptoms ?

DAOSIN/HISTAME work really well for me. I have no GI issues from histamine, it is my, neck up mastcells.
I use one DAOSIN per meal, and this gets expensive. I wish I could freeze dry my own pig kidneys.

At one point I considered small SubQ Heparin injections.

If the DAO test ever is offered by LABCORP, I'll do it.
I'm pretty confident, that T4 (synthroid) destroyed my DAO level, the problem is finding a way
to stimulate DAO production. When my DAO level was suppressed, I had to rely on HNMT, and methyl, to clear histamines, and my SNPs make me undermethylated, so HNMT could not find enough methly doners to make up for the lack of DAO.

globalpilot

I do think it's a definite possibility. I have been reading a lot about histamine and DAO etc lately. There are some DAO SNPs reported in the literature to decrease DAO activity that 23andme does not report.

Do you mean you never had GI issues from histamine or do you mean the histame removed the GI issues ?

My doctor is suggesting mast cell activation is responsible for my spaciness and bloating.

UM MAN

My GI track has never been any issue in my entire life, even after T4 destroyed my DAO levels.
DAOSIN/HISTAME obviously must also get from my GI track, into my blood system, because
it affects the histamine reactions in my ears and mouth.

jepps

Do you know, what are the SNP´s for DAO?

And I cannot open the raw data´s on the Homepage of 23andMe. How can I find them?

Thank you for your reply!

jepps

Thank you very much Valentijn!
And if my version is the same as my Genotype, then I don´t have a mutation. If my version is another, then I have a mutation, right or not??????
Do you have a link for me how to interpret the raw datas?

Greetings jepps

Valentijn

And if my version is the same as my Genotype, then I don´t have a mutation. If my version is another, then I have a mutation, right or not??????
A "mutation" is simply a variation of genotype. Variation is completely normal, and often means absolutely nothing.

To know if a mutation (your genotype) has any impact, you need to read the research or find a trustworthy source who has read it.

ahmo

@Valentijn, I followed your link for 23andme DAO. I use SNPtips for Firefox, and the whole list of SNPs are highlighted, see below. Does this mean that all my DAO SNPs are impacting me? Or is this what you're referring to, and I need to research each one, when you say,
A "mutation" is simply a variation of genotype. Variation is completely normal, and often means absolutely nothing.

To know if a mutation (your genotype) has any impact, you need to read the research or find a trustworthy source who has read it.

Thanks, ahmo

upload_2013-12-30_13-21-0.png

Valentijn

Does this mean that all my DAO SNPs are impacting me? Or is this what you're referring to, and I need to research each one, when you say,
It means you need to research them to see if they have an impact. One good source is scholar.google.com . Another is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/ (hover over a pale blue box that appears attached to the green line in the map view to get a list of links to research).

Looking at my spread sheet with full 23andMe data from 11 ME/CFS patients and 14 controls, you have the completely normal and more common versions of each SNP. Hence it's very unlikely that they would have a significantly negative impact.

acer2000

I have the exact same DAO snps as ahmo. I tried taking HISTAME and it didn't seem to help much. HNMT is in there too. But again, not sure I know how to read it to see which ones are good or bad.

ahmo

@Valentijn, Thanks. I do, in fact, have histamine issues, think I'm somewhere on the mast cell spectrum, as well as my homozygous MAO SNP, so I'll be interested to follow this up. On first look at the link, I can't make much more sense of it than I can from 23andme or Promethease. I guess as a genetic illiterate, this might be as good as it gets. cheers, ahmo

Last edited: