• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation in the UK

Hi All,

I don't think there are answers to the following questions in the forum - I have looked - but apologies if they have been dealt with before..

I am based in the UK and am unsure of the best way to order the Methylation Pathways Panel test.. I have seen that they can be ordered through a clinician from the US lab, but do you know if this can be any clinician, or does it need to be from a certain list of approved practitioners? Also, with regards to sending a blood sample to the US, does anyone know if I need to first order a pack from the lab and then send a sample back to them, or do you have to draw the blood through your own means? Just wondered if anyone from the UK had been through this process before..

Also, does anyone know of any UK-based practitioners who can ably support with methylation treatment, or US practitioners that will take clients over skype, or do you think it's best to just go it alone with treatment? If my panel confirms methylation issues I would like to try Fredd's treatment protocol, but would prefer to do so under supervision if there is anyone who could usefully support this.

Thanks very much for your help

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi All,

I don't think there are answers to the following questions in the forum - I have looked - but apologies if they have been dealt with before..

I am based in the UK and am unsure of the best way to order the Methylation Pathways Panel test.. I have seen that they can be ordered through a clinician from the US lab, but do you know if this can be any clinician, or does it need to be from a certain list of approved practitioners? Also, with regards to sending a blood sample to the US, does anyone know if I need to first order a pack from the lab and then send a sample back to them, or do you have to draw the blood through your own means? Just wondered if anyone from the UK had been through this process before..

Also, does anyone know of any UK-based practitioners who can ably support with methylation treatment, or US practitioners that will take clients over skype, or do you think it's best to just go it alone with treatment? If my panel confirms methylation issues I would like to try Fredd's treatment protocol, but would prefer to do so under supervision if there is anyone who could usefully support this.

Thanks very much for your help

Hi,

UK patients usually send their blood to the Netherlands for this test--branch of the same lab.

http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/

But you do need a doctor or chiro to order it.

Best,
Sushi

aquariusgirl

I did it for my mom a couple of years back. I think they require the blood to be spun.. centrifuged now... at least that's what the instructions say. Then you have to fedex the blood. Send it Monday thru Thursday. I think the blood draw has to be early in order to get it sent overnite.

You should check all this.

Don[t think they are too fussed about who they send the results to... cos you're overseas..anyone with some kind of office/medical qualification..

I did it for my mom a couple of years back. I think they require the blood to be spun.. centrifuged now... at least that's what the instructions say. Then you have to fedex the blood. Send it Monday thru Thursday. I think the blood draw has to be early in order to get it sent overnite.

You should check all this.

Don[t think they are too fussed about who they send the results to... cos you're overseas..anyone with some kind of office/medical qualification..

Thanks Aquarius

Did you go via the Netherlands lab, or just straight to the US one? I have heard from some others that the Netherlands lab can be very slow with processing samples, but wondered what your experience was like?

aquariusgirl

i used the netherlands. can't remember the turnaround time.. too long ago.. how much are fedex fees to the States? I never paid the fedex fees. i'm sure they add up fast.. something to consider...

Lotus97

There's a company, BioCare, that makes a B50 with no folic acid called B-Plex. Why am I mentioning this here? Because all the online stores selling it seem to be based in the UK which means high shipping fees to the US, but if you live in the UK some stores offer free shipping. For those new to methylation, the other reason I'm mentioning it is because folic acid isn't a good thing to take. There are several b complexes with only methylfolate or methylfolate and folinic acid/calcium folinate which would also be good choices since many of those have coenzymated b vitamins instead of the b vitamins in the B50. If anyone is interested, make sure to buy Biocare's B-plex without folic acid rather their B complex which does have folic acid.