• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Celiac Disease cured by stem cells

Waverunner

This is the future! HSCT is controversial but there will be safe alternatives, I'm 100% sure about that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23531481

Abstract

We report on 2 patients affected by both celiac disease (CD) and β-thalassemia major who underwent successful myeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) for the latter condition. After HSCT, the introduction of a gluten-containing diet did not cause the reappearance of clinical, serological, and histological markers of CD in up to 5 years of follow-up. After transplantation, in both patients, dendritic cells and regulatory FoxP3T cells showed a recovery of normal values and no proliferative T-cell response upon gliadin stimulation was found. These data suggest that allogeneic HSCT may lead to induction of gluten tolerance in patients with CD.
PMID:

[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

jenbooks

That's really interesting. The problem is the myleoablative part--wiping out your own immune system first so you can repopulate it via the stem cells. The other issue is finding a compatible stem cell donor and even then you have to take immunosuppressive drugs as it's essentially like an organ graft. So it's not too simple. But yeah that is really fascinating.

Waverunner

That's really interesting. The problem is the myleoablative part--wiping out your own immune system first so you can repopulate it via the stem cells. The other issue is finding a compatible stem cell donor and even then you have to take immunosuppressive drugs as it's essentially like an organ graft. So it's not too simple. But yeah that is really fascinating.

I fully agree with your analysis but I'm 100% sure, that we will have safe alternatives in the future.

jenbooks

Ha ha Waverunner I am never 100% sure of anything. Especially where the future is concerned! It could be decades away. The thing is unless you get rid of the information loop of your own immune system, you can't replace it with a new one. So I'm not sure how they'd get around myeloablation which is not going to be allowed for celiac.

Waverunner

Ha ha Waverunner I am never 100% sure of anything. Especially where the future is concerned! It could be decades away. The thing is unless you get rid of the information loop of your own immune system, you can't replace it with a new one. So I'm not sure how they'd get around myeloablation which is not going to be allowed for celiac.

The thing is, replacing your immune system is a means of last resort. However, it is the only possibility if you don't know more about the molecular causes of a disease. It's the same with Rituximab and CFS. Moore's law, genetic sequencing, molecular imaging and nano-technology will enable us to understand diseases at the molecular level and they will enable us to develop specific, safe treatments to diseases. You are right, of course, this could be decades away but this study showed us, that chronic diseases can be cured. Maybe I'm just too optimistic but the next decade hopefully will propel us far into the future of medicine.

jenbooks

What I like about it but find so frustrating...is obviously an immune reset would be an answer in many cases. At some point my body made a decision to wage a war on gluten (my first symptoms at nine years old). Yes I Have the genes but not everybody gets celiac. Those genes mean you tightly bind gluten--and so there's a greater chance another perturbation could come in and upset your tcells. So yes a lot of autoimmune stuff is a feedback loop that gets entrenched. But where and how to interrupt it...

This is where something like Dr. Wise's Gluten Relief may come in handy. It claims to completely cure and eradicate celiac disease. Let me know what you think and be sure and ask your questions to Jason in the comments section. Click here for more on this interesting product!!!
Let me know what you think. :aghhh:

herb17.jpg

What are the ingredient in Dr. Wise's Gluten Relief ?
Ingredients in Dr. Wise's Gluten Product:
Active Ingredients:
Lycopodium Clavatum 12x,
Pulsatilla 12x.
Inactive Ingredients:
Aronia (Berry) Aronia Melanocarpa,
Gelatin Capsule,
Salmon DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid),
Folic Acid,
L-Carnosine,
Rice Flour,
RNA (Ribonucleic Acid),
Vitamin D3 (from Cholecalciferol).
There's another great page on it at https://www.facebook.com/glutenformulajourney

Allyson

Yes there is a 3 percent risk of death from this procedure ATM

a vaccine for coeliac has been invented and is being trialled ATM in Melbourne Australia at Walter and Eliza Hall Institiute / Royal Melbourne Hospital coeliac clinic - Dr Jason Tye- Din.

jenbooks

Allyson, I don't want to take a vaccine to "cure" celiac. As you may well know from the CFS/ME/MCS/chronic lyme population, vaccine injury often contributes and once you have a tetchy immune system, a vaccine might do more harm than good. Secondly I am not convinced a vaccine won't have other unintended immune consequences. WHeat isn't even that healthy anymore--einkorn, ancient wheatberries might be but wheat has been so hybridized that celiac rates have quadrupled since 1950. It has too much gluten, too many carbs. It's really not a healthy food for many. What's so hard about avoiding it? Other sources of gluten are easy to avoid, too. Healthy grains (not rice which has arsenic) include quinoa, buckwheat amaranth. Starches can be found in potatoes and many root vegetables. Breads can be made from coconut and nut flours. There are a ton of recipes on the web. And paleo type diets sans grains are healthier.

We shouldn't just try to vaccinate away everything. Sounds like a very poor solution to me in order to eat what is mostly bad junk food. (Pasta, bread, muffins etc)

jenbooks

Ingredients in Dr. Wise's Gluten Product:
Active Ingredients:
Lycopodium Clavatum 12x,
Pulsatilla 12x.
Inactive Ingredients:
Aronia (Berry) Aronia Melanocarpa,
Gelatin Capsule,
Salmon DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid),
Folic Acid,
L-Carnosine,
Rice Flour,
RNA (Ribonucleic Acid),
Vitamin D3 (from Cholecalciferol).
There's another great page on it at https://www.facebook.com/glutenformulajourney

Sounds like a total scam in terms of classic celiac. I am not going to bother to look at that page. Folks if you have celiac, for goodness sake, just change your diet and feel healthier. Agriculture was the beginning of many diseases for the human race--and that means mostly crops like wheat and corn.

Allyson

Well my post was in reply to the fact that people were looking to stem cell transplants for coeliac; given the choice i would choose a simple vaccine over a stem cell transplant, ad in any case at the momet there is not that choice.

I do not believe there is any evidence at all available to support the statement that "Agriculture was the beginning of many diseases for mankind", but would be interested if you have any.

If it is based purely on dates you would need to differentiate the lifestyle change - to sedentism - that occurred at the same time as agriculture in many societies as a causative factor in any purported increase in disease..

jenbooks

Allyson, the original post was not looking for stem cell treatments for celiac. It was noting that in people receiving stem cell transplants for another fatal disease, which first requires wiping out the immune system then giving stem cells which give rise to a new immune system (and one must remain on immunosuppressive therapy for life) celiac was cured. It was more a proof of principle than anything.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease. It isn't cured by a supplement that contains fish oil, vitamin D3, carnosine etc. As for RNA and DNA they will be broken down by stomach acid anyway. And as for homeopathic remedies, they don't apply broadly like that.

Re: agiculture:

""Culturally, we're agricultural chauvinists. We tend to think that producing food is always beneficial, but the picture is much more complex than that," says Emory anthropologist George Armelagos, co-author of the review. "Humans paid a heavy biological cost for agriculture, especially when it came to the variety of nutrients. Even now, about 60 percent of our calories come from corn, rice and wheat."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110615094514.htm

Allyson

Allyson, the original post was not looking for stem cell treatments for celiac. It was noting that in people receiving stem cell transplants for another fatal disease, which first requires wiping out the immune system then giving stem cells which give rise to a new immune system (and one must remain on immunosuppressive therapy for life) celiac was cured. It was more a proof of principle than anything.

Re: agiculture:

""Culturally, we're agricultural chauvinists. We tend to think that producing food is always beneficial, but the picture is much more complex than that," says Emory anthropologist George Armelagos, co-author of the review. "Humans paid a heavy biological cost for agriculture, especially when it came to the variety of nutrients. Even now, about 60 percent of our calories come from corn, rice and wheat."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110615094514.htm

jenbooks

"Coeliac disease cured by stem cells" - is that title of the post we are on?

Agriculture -
In that link to a report of one unpublished paper by a graduate student (hardly the basis of a substantial or robust academic argument) you omit to note this paragragh, which contradicts the idea that health standards decreased after agriculture.

Eventually, the trend toward shorter stature reversed, and average heights for most populations began increasing. The trend is especially notable in the developed world during the past 75 years, following the industrialization of food systems.

unquote

which seems to indicate the exact opposite of what you are arguing.

Also the claim does not account for the many other factors besides dietary change that accompanied the adoption of sedentism (a few of which the article mentions in the quote below - another major one being a change to a sedentary lifesyle), and never will.... as you cannot extricate this data. Also you will never have the skeletal evidence of a similar quality to those found in sedentary populations (to use as a solid basis for comparison) as the earlier ones are scattered and less traceable.

She adds that growth in population density spurred by agriculture settlements led to an increase in infectious diseases, likely exacerbated by problems of sanitation and the proximity to domesticated animals and other novel disease vectors.

unquote

and the simple and unequivocal fact is that human population numbers increase exponentially after agriculture...... so something is working there.

Waverunner

I wanna throw in an interesting article from the NYT about the causes of coeliac disease. A connection between level of wheat consumption and risk for coeliac disease could not be proven. It seems more and more likely that the microbiome and intestinal bacteria play a very important role for developing the disease. Breast feeding and small amounts of gluten in the diet seem to protect against coeliac disease. Here are excerpts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/o...auses-celiac-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

BLAME for the increase of celiac disease sometimes falls on gluten-rich, modern wheat varietals; increased consumption of wheat, and the ubiquity of gluten in processed foods.
Yet the epidemiology of celiac disease doesn’t always support this idea. One comparative study involving some 5,500 subjects yielded a prevalence of roughly one in 100 among Finnish children, but using the same diagnostic methods, just one in 500 among their Russian counterparts.
Differing wheat consumption patterns can’t explain this disparity. If anything, Russians consume more wheat than Finns, and of similar varieties...
All of which may explain a curious historical phenomenon — an “epidemic” of celiac disease that struck Sweden some 30 years ago. Anneli Ivarsson, a pediatrician at Umea University, recalled a sudden wave of “terribly sick” infants.
Sleuthing revealed that, just before the spike, official guidelines on infant feeding had changed. In an effort to prevent celiac disease, paradoxically, parents were instructed to delay the introduction of gluten until their babies were six months old. That also happened to be when many Swedish mothers weaned their children. Coincidentally, companies had increased the amount of gluten in baby food.
This confluence produced an unwitting “experiment with a whole population,” says Dr. Ivarsson — a large quantity of gluten introduced suddenly after weaning. Among Swedes born between 1984 and 1996, the prevalence of celiac disease tripled to 3 percent. The epidemic ebbed only when authorities again revised infant-feeding guidelines: keep breast-feeding, they urged, while simultaneously introducing small amounts of gluten. Food manufacturers also reduced the gluten content of infant foodstuffs. Dr. Ivarsson found that, during the epidemic, the longer children breast-fed after their first exposure to gluten, the more protected they were.

natasa778

What I like about it but find so frustrating...is obviously an immune reset would be an answer in many cases. At some point my body made a decision to wage a war on gluten (my first symptoms at nine years old). Yes I Have the genes but not everybody gets celiac. Those genes mean you tightly bind gluten--and so there's a greater chance another perturbation could come in and upset your tcells. So yes a lot of autoimmune stuff is a feedback loop that gets entrenched. But where and how to interrupt it...

Yes they've recently completely reversed all immune abnormalities as well as physical and behavioural symptoms in mice models of both autism and Retts by rebooting their immune system by irradiation+and bone marrow transplant. In Retts study I think they had one group where they placed a lead shield over them to block irradiation, and that group only partially recovered. Amazing presentation on this is by Kipnis, the lead author, available on sfari.org webcast page if anyone is interested... Because Retts is so devastating and deadly it is realistic to expect this research to be translated into human trials, at some point. Hopefully!

jenbooks

Hi all, diminishing returns in this discussion for me anyway...the original is a proof of principle. You are wiping out the immune system, giving new stem cells which give rise to a new immune system, and have to stay on immunosuppresive therapy for life--to not reject the foreign cells.

This is used for fatal diseases...

It's a proof of principle int hat when you do that celiac goes away showing that it's a function of the immune cells, which is known already. Celiac genes do not guarantee celiac. Those with celiac genes bind gliadin more tightly than others and that tight binding, can then lead to a situation where some other influence (as the NY Times article which yes is very interesting wherein for instance if gluten triples in wheat in hybridized forms, or is intorudced too early etc)--can "ignite" the tcells and then they turn against gliadin AND the self.

Whatever.

I thought the person posted this article as a proof of principle.
It's not hard at all to avoid wheat, which is a crap food these days anyway. So frankly many people are healthier on a paleo type diet anyway.

As to agrilcuture please do the google search yourself...I found one article for you...don't have time. It's been widely discussed narrowing to four main crops, was deleterious to health.

Have a good day all! :)