• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Colonoscopy - how to keep your strength?

If you come up with any strategies let me know. I'm too afraid to do it again as my blood sugar is really bad now. probably not such a bad idea to eat at the very last minute, though EVERYTHING in your small and large intestines will come out with the laxatives. Just don't eat after you have finished them or there will be food in there. Bring food with you to eat right after.

Just re-read the instruction - doh - and I'm not supposed to have had any solid food from midnight last night (Sat) my procedure is due 10am Tues - is this ridiculous or what - don't know what to do now- not due to start to take the laxatives until midday tomorrow - had 2 pieces of toast and chicken and veg for lunch - just made a salad for tea, probably should start making chicken soup but I'm sooo tired - I'll say again the NHS is ridiculous.
That adds up to 63 hrs (I ate yesterday at 7pm) without solid food including 10hrs nil by mouth.
Think I'll just put the salad into the juicer including the baked potato - sod em- I'm not going that long without food.
how did it go?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
WillowJ

Cornichon

Sorry I have tried to reply but lost my text twice!!!!

Prep went well despite only going on the liquids for just the day before the proc - waverunner advised me this would be okay and it was - so for those who are told to do liquid only for 2 days before its rubbish.

W also said don't eat veg with skins on for a couple of days before which was also good advice, and eat white rice easily digested stuff etc.

I made jelly with fresh lemon and gelatine - was lovely. Also chicken broth. I added organic elderflower cordial and fressh lemon to the prep mixture, and inbetween the mix had the broth and jelly, I wasn't hungry and my bowel was empty within 9hrs.

They said bowel clearance was good, however thats the last positive.

The beginning was bad enough, they couldn't find a vein to get the canula in.

The nurse writhing about in a vein in my left hand, painful, okay I understood, but she couldn't manage it. The consultant clearly irritated attacked my right hand banging it vigorously (or shall we just say brutally?) and then tried to find a vein - excrutiating pain - he then asked loudly if there was anything wrong with me that could be the cause of this, the screening nurse said she has ME - he just said well that won't have anything to do with it. So much for his knowledge. He got a vein in my righ arm eventually. The following day my left hand was bruised right across the back and swollen to twice its size. My right hand and arm. well the bruises had to be seen. Ad then worse was to follow........

The procedure was horrendous - the most painful experience I have had outside of childbirth.
Not enough sedation or pain killer - I was traumatised. This is the NHS at its worst - day surgery based on the number in and out - care zilch - they give you the minimum drugs because they want the chair yes chair no bed for the next patient ASAP. They want you out of the hospital within an hr or so. You move from the chair to the lounge as soon as you are able.

I asked to keep the bed after the procedure, the porter told the nurse no he needed it - so despite having a chronic back problem I had to sit in a chair, the nurse had to put 3 pillows on to try to get me comfortable.
I felt bad but I was so very angry inside at the treatment I received. A complaint will be going off quite soon.

The consultant took off 2 small polyps both benign - but never again on the NHS.
The last colonoscopy I had was done privately - together with a endoscopy - I was sedated and came round in my room, went home a couple of hrs later feeling fine. I went into that NHS treatment room like a lamb to slaughter.

Sorry its been such a tale but it haunted me for quite a few days afterwards.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
maryb

That is an awful story and there is no excuse for what you had to go through. Just awful!

Hope your bruises heal soon, though sounds like they might take a while.

Best wishes,
Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sushi

Thank you for your kind words, it was so bad and worse maybe because I wasn't expecting it?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sushi

Thank you for your kind words, it was so bad and worse maybe because I wasn't expecting it?

Yes, I've had two and was always instantly "knocked out" with an anaesthesiologist at my side, so the prep was the worst part.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Yes that was my previous experience Sushi, what has the NHS come to when it is treating patients like this, something you'd expect from a third world country where meds are scarce.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
maryb - I'm so sorry to read about your horrific experience. I had no idea that it was even possible to do a colonoscopy that way.

I was semi-conscious during mine, and I have some memory of it (and joking around with the nurses), but I had no pain at all. And it's all a bit of a blur. All my friends who have had one (that I know about, that's at least 6-7) have told me that the anesthesia made them completely unconscious. They have no memory at all. So, I was the unusual one in the group for even having any memories of it while it was happening.

I've never heard of the doctors being so brutal and not caring about your pain and suffering. I'm so sorry for what you had to go through.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm so sorry, maryb. i've had a totally unsedated, unmedicated sigmoidoscopy which had horrendous pain like that, and the HMO doctor didn't care at all, and lied in my chart. continued to haunt me after also.

I looked it up after and extreme pain in sigmoidoscopy is not unknown.

I do not think being prepared would have helped except to help me speak up better (I did say stuff but it apparently wasn't the "right" things, as I was told beforehand that they would stop if the pain was bad, either that or they had no intention of doing so, or no capacity to notice others' pain). I continue to be outraged that this kind of thing can happen and then be brushed under the rug.

it was followed up with a colonoscopy with a different provider, and that was sedated, and I do have some memories during sedation, but it went ok.

I've never heard of doing a colonoscopy without sedation!!

glad the prep was ok, though.

I'm very relieved to hear endoscopy (presumably from the mouth end) can be done sedated.

yes so sorry, sounds like terrible treatment. Very different here in Canada. And this was your second one right? oh dear, I'm sorry I suggested that they go easy on the drugs, usually people with CFS are super sensitive to meds and get knocked out much quicker. I know the drug combo for me was way too extreme.

svetoslav80

Well I have experience with water fasting and I have fasted for 8 days without any food, and there are people who fast for up to 40 days (yes, I know that they are healthy and you are sick), but I assure you there is nothing scary in fasting 2 days and you can do it without any special preparation. Only remember to feed up gradually after that. I'd be more scared with the colonoscopy itself :> but I hope you'll be fine.