• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuro symptoms extending to tongue

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Lately, my neuro symptoms have been extending to my tongue, on and off. Sometimes the tongue merely feels a little swollen, but other times it feels less dexterous (equivalent to loss of motor control in hands). My speech I feel is slightly impaired, but so far nobody has admitted that they can detect it. This seems to go hand-and-hand with an increase in neuro symptoms in my arms and hands too.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found anything that helps it?

lansbergen

Any part of the body can be affected. My tongue was not spared. My neurological symptoms slowly improved with taking an immunemodulator.

camas

I have this, too. It's really bad after eating something cold like sorbet. All of my neurological symptoms have improved on daily Zyrtec. I'm not exactly sure why, but I believe it may have something to do with histamine being a neurotransmitter?

MNC

Same here. I have asked at least 4 doctors lately about my tongue. What I feel is inflammation inside the cheeks, in the upper and rear part along with sinuses inflammation, and my tongue is definetely getting worse and worse for the past 5 months. What started as slight strange feelings when speaking has now become something very scary. It burns a bit and I just can't articulate well many times. I can't move it normal as before.

I asked one maxillo surgeon, one internist and two GPs and they didn't know. The internist adviced me to go to a neurologist... again. I spend my life going to doctors of all kind who never know what is wrong...

To me this is one more step in this neurological degeneration that they deny.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Yep, I've had problems on and off with my tongue, and also get a pins & needles sensation. I've talked with a neurologist about it and he was baffled, it was just another item on odd list of symptoms to him.

Wayne

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found anything that helps it?

Hi Patrick, sorry to hear about this. When I had somewhat similar difficulties with swallowing, I found it quite disconcerting. After I had an asymptomatic root canaled tooth extracted, my swallowing problems cleared up almost overnight. --- Also, I had an atlas profilax (AP) technique done in 2007 that released a lot of pressure on my cranial nerves. If your's is a cranial nerve problem, the AP could be helpful. --- Good luck, and I hope you can find an effective solution for yourself.