• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

80 10 10 Diet

golden

I know I will need the book to understand this thoroughly, but since I won't be doing thus diet its low on my to do list.

If there are any experts as to the theory for this diet though I am VERY interested in the idea that Candida is not a problem, even though there is a lot of sugar - provided fats are kept to necessity ratio and not over consumed...

invisiblejungle

The 80/10/10 fruitarian diet is essentially based on the idea that sugar is the preferred fuel for the body, so most of our calories should come from sugar. It also promotes the idea that we all need to eat 3000+ calories per day.

The author, Doug Graham, claims that candida becomes a problem when we don't eat enough sugar. Since candida feeds on sugar, if we don't eat enough sugar, the candida starts breaking through the intestines to get more sugar.

I would recommend not doing the 80/10/10 diet. Almost everyone who tries it for an extended period of time end up damaging their health, and you can read about some of their experiences here: http://30bananasadaysucks.com/

golden

Its a fruitarian diet then? just a new name.

I have never seen a thread like that before! :) All the swearing ....

Got to page 6 though and didnt really get any more info on the 80 10 10.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
golden

And, fructose tolerance tests done on ME patients show that many (maybe even most?) of us are fructose intolerant.

Sushi

GracieJ

I think how humans digest food probably breaks out into four or five different subsets. Eating right for your blood type may have been close. Metabolic testing, imho, is even closer. It always surprises me that people like this man have so much success with diets like this, teaching it, sharing it... maybe his success stories are those whose metabolic typing agrees with the diet. I tested as needing high protein, high fat, low carbs, and when I eat like that, my heart rate goes down, my blood pressure rises the little bit needed to not faint as I stand up, and cholesterol goes down. Any time I've ever tried to eat vegetarian, it leaves me weak. I can have almost no fruit, and have found that most vegetables are way too high in starches for me. As long as I stick to animal protein, nuts, and mostly green leafy vegetables, I do really well. I consume almost no grain. The only fruits I tolerate are apples, bananas, and avocados.

I see vegetarian friends live for months/years on foods that would leave me sick and in bed. We are all so different. With the right metabolic picture, a high fruit diet might be perfect for some people.

When white sugar was first introduced, it was kept under lock and key. It was considered the cocaine of the day. When you consider what a little bit of sugar does in the body of someone who is not used to it at all, it's easy to see why.

invisiblejungle

Its a fruitarian diet then? just a new name.

I have never seen a thread like that before! :) All the swearing ....

Got to page 6 though and didnt really get any more info on the 80 10 10.

Yes, the 80/10/10 diet is basically a fruitarian diet with a small amount of vegetables. The author Doug Graham doesn't look too healthy, in my opinion:

invisiblejungle

I think how humans digest food probably breaks out into four or five different subsets. Eating right for your blood type may have been close. Metabolic testing, imho, is even closer. It always surprises me that people like this man have so much success with diets like this, teaching it, sharing it... maybe his success stories are those whose metabolic typing agrees with the diet. I tested as needing high protein, high fat, low carbs, and when I eat like that, my heart rate goes down, my blood pressure rises the little bit needed to not faint as I stand up, and cholesterol goes down. Any time I've ever tried to eat vegetarian, it leaves me weak. I can have almost no fruit, and have found that most vegetables are way too high in starches for me. As long as I stick to animal protein, nuts, and mostly green leafy vegetables, I do really well. I consume almost no grain. The only fruits I tolerate are apples, bananas, and avocados.

I see vegetarian friends live for months/years on foods that would leave me sick and in bed. We are all so different. With the right metabolic picture, a high fruit diet might be perfect for some people.

When white sugar was first introduced, it was kept under lock and key. It was considered the cocaine of the day. When you consider what a little bit of sugar does in the body of someone who is not used to it at all, it's easy to see why.

I couldn't agree more. When we look at all of the varied human cultures around the world who eat different diets, it's simply asinine to claim that there's an "ideal diet for everyone," whether it's vegan or vegetarian or paleo or macrobiotic or low-carb or low-fat or 100% raw or whatever.

I really think human ego is a huge factor in this fallacy. Ego makes us believe that our personal experience can be extrapolated to everyone else. Ego makes us want to spread our message because we've discovered the "secret."

Metabolic typing is definitely worth looking into, and there are several other complementary systems. My nutritionist introduced me to the work of Dr. Emanuel Revici, and although I'm a far way from understanding it all, it seems to be quite profound. Revici's approach is based on the idea that the body moves through anabolic and catabolic cycles, and disease happens when these cycles are imbalanced. What's fascinating is that Revici discovered that different minerals and fats are either catabolic or anabolic. For example, fatty acids and selenium are catabolic, whereas sterols and potassium are anabolic. Depending on a person's imbalance, these nutritive compounds were used to bring them back the other way.

http://metabolichealing.com/michael...logical-hierarchy-and-his-approach-to-cancer/

VeganMonkey

Some of my friends are on the 80/10/10, but they don't only eat fruit. It's basically a raw diet with a lot of oil (mainly from nuts) So can be done with a much lesser sugar intake (more veg than fruit)

dannybex

Some of my friends are on the 80/10/10, but they don't only eat fruit. It's basically a raw diet with a lot of oil (mainly from nuts) So can be done with a much lesser sugar intake (more veg than fruit)

Nuts and nut oils are extremely high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids...peanuts being the worst. And raw foods can be incredibly difficult to digest for a large percentage of people.

Having said that, I agree with InvisibleJungle -- there is never going to be 'one' diet that is right for everyone, nor even one diet that will be right for one person for an extended period of time. Our bodies need different things at different times, depending on different circumstances... :)

VeganMonkey

The people I know have been doing this for years and are extremely healthy. But I myself have IBS so can't do it. Some things are easier to digest cooked for me and too much oil makes me really ill. One of the friends who eats raw says she doesn't do such a high fat content, she says she doesn't feel well if she eats that much oil in her diet. I notice that if you stop eating oily foods you start liking them less anyway.