• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fake Folates : Looking for Cyanide?

Crux

Hi cph13;
Those are really nutritious vegetables...maybe better in a soup or stew, especially with the recipe that Asklipia describes...looks delicious!

Of course, I don't know what amount of extra potassium would be best for you, but the upper end of the RDA is 4000-4700 mgs. daily. ( that would be alot of kale!) Personally, I take more than most folks here, so I'm in the high dosing demographic. ( I take 2000-3000 mgs. of potassium daily, in divided doses. I take much of it in the morning, for regularity, usually 500 or more mgs.) But, the amount I take could be too much for others, so I recommend a slow careful titration.

I find that extra potassium in foods and supplements helps my anxiety and sleep.

Apologies here, I've wandered off- topic...

Freddd

Hello Crux,
I never get night cramps which is what I was looking for BUT........SOBreath, slow moving gut....U people are just amazing....OVERSTIMULATING......cheeze, I must be dead....doesn't phase me in the least but I will stop here and upt the pot. How much would U say???? 2-99mg???? or more???????

I was doing only greens kale, parsley, garlic, onion...but NO MORE. People tell me to test the waters. NOT, let the youngins' practice trying to figure this stuff out. Whn I'm going up.....I keep climbing. 1988-2013 is a LONG TIME, the drs. had a field day with me a WELLBUTRIN among others. I am as clean as the pure drivin' snow now. Just the Klonepin has to get off my back and it will. I cut 1/4 v. slowly....still, I know when I plan on this I will need FREDDD and all your help but I will do it. I have the arsenal set to SLEEP while titrating down.
@asklipidia, these crazies in NJ want 4.99 lb for lamb bones; no stew meat. I got my rack for 9.99 my treat. I will go get a semi-boneless leg of lamb @2.99 a lb and have them butterfly it. Next week I will be in heaven with Lamb stew. Wanna come over....bring Crux with ya. I just bot 3 bottles of champagne...for a taste...rest for friends like U guys 8-p
CHOW and thanks !!!!!!!!

HI Cph,

Costco at least has boneless leg of lamb, Australian, at 5.99/lb , delicious. Once a year in the spring a store around here carries lamb ribs which are very tasty. I use sea salt, garlic, thyme and rosemary to season the lamb before roasting. Another dish I like is a lamb stew with barley.

Lotus97

For a couple of months now I have only been taking daily
- 25mg B2 after food once or twice a day
- before bed Melatonin 3 mg in the Pierpaoli formulation (which includes zinc and selenium)
- 10 mg manganese in the morning with my coffee.

Lots of good wishes!
Asklipia
:devil: FFP :devil:
Wow. I wish my supplement regimen was that simple:(

cph13

HI Cph,

Costco at least has boneless leg of lamb, Australian, at 5.99/lb , delicious. Once a year in the spring a store around here carries lamb ribs which are very tasty. I use sea salt, garlic, thyme and rosemary to season the lamb before roasting. Another dish I like is a lamb stew with barley.
I managed to get the lamb @2.99lb. I had them butterfly it...Oh am I going to have fun cooking tomorrow, that is, if I eva get outta bed. I was in NYC today from 9am til 7pm. Saw the endo, had chinese (no additives) shopped like nuts and now I plan on being good for a few days. I have no choice. I'm DONE...Hugs C

cph13

Boneless : We need the bones!!!!!!
LOL, I know, I just had them seperated (very cleanly, I may add) I roast them; than use them. It give another depth of flavor Asklipia...same with some roots I add to a v. high oven temp. It takes me 2-3 days to make a hungarian veal paprikash but it sure is worth it. Have a SUNNY,FUNNY Day!

cph13

Boneless : We need the bones!!!!!!
Yikes, I just lost a whole post to U. AYAYAYAYA.
OK, I'm still cooking. I am spoiled. My late DH did the shopping and scraping/ peeling of veggies ALWAYS. Actually he always made the beef stew. I trimmed the meat.
Soooooo, I couldn't keep my hands off the meat while browning it which I did yesterday morning (that's probably why he took over the job). I shopped for the roots/herbs yesterday. I used to make my stew slowly in the oven many years ago. OVEN WON't LITE. Stove top is the difficult way.
I will add the greens tomorrow....too tired today...that is...IF IT LASTS TIL TOMORROW.
I'm on famvir...my feet are swelling and also hot. Freddd says, the heat is part of healing. The swelling DK. I read in length about the bain-dervi. I will get something for the toilet tomorrow. I love the idea.
TODAY, I am using my foot bath with ice cubes and cold water..to help the swelling. Brilliant idea ....I thought. I was inspired by the Bain-Derif post.
Thanks again Asklipedia for the recipe and the info on Bain-Derif. Have a great w/e everyone.

cph13

cph13

Hi cph;
Am I correct that you're taking 2000 mcg. folate daily? A blood test result of potassium, 3.5?
I believe that this combination of high dose folate and low potassium could be problematic. Along with the muscle tightness, there could be shortness of breath, and constipation, among other things. ( It's possible that increasing potassium could elevate the mood...it helps mine. It also relieves my constipation and shortness of breath.)
============Thank you ever so much, Crux, for paying attention and pointing this out to me. It WAS NOT healing as I first thought. I upted the potassium to 8-99mg. breathing is definately better, my feet...no longer an uncomfortable warm/hot feeling. I may up it a bit more today to perhaps 10-99mg. I will probably get a powder (brand/type ?????) I am still NOT finding relief from the slow moving gut. I take mag. oxide and Dr. Best chelated magnesium I will have to get more Alta Mag Chloride. That works the best for me. Not even the footbath soaks with epsom salts helped. .

IF I TAKE ONE MORE PILL I WILL SCREAM.

I also bot mens trouser socks by futuro for standing on my job. Wow, did they make a difference. My ankles and feet were NOT swollen at all after 6 hrs. of standing.
I plan on increasing the b-12 too. I just purchased LIFE EXTENSION 5mg. methyl. I wonder if anyone has tried this one? I also want to try the Klaire b-12 and I am getting the anabolic b12 ad.

I find folate to be a great mood elevator, but too much can be overstimulating. While many people have great results with MSM as an anti-inflammatory, I also had side effects from it. Juicing can be trouble for some of us because it can raise blood sugar too quickly.

==============Yup, with the increase in potassium, I found my mood is elevated. MSM is NOT my friend though. I have to be careful. I'm slowly upping my dosage which is in the "move free" that I take for OA. They keep increasing the MSM saying "advanced" Initially, the additional MSM was a bother causing severe neck pain. I am tolerating it better now.

I'm glad you seem to planning to ease things a bit now. I agree that a good home cooked meal could do wonders, especially with the added garlic!
==============I love too cook. It is so rewarding. What a meal this is. I'm licking the plate for sure. Again, THANK YOU for keeping an eye out for "us" Crux. Have a great week. Hugs C

Crux

cph13;

Hi ;
I've gotten into this situation many times now. Folate is very powerful, and finding out own correct dosage is difficult, because there's a lag time before it takes full effect. I would prefer to get it from diet alone, but like B12, I don't absorb it so well. ( But still, I don't need as high a dosage as other folks. However, I need more than most of the B12.) I've been on a 'seesaw', lately. It's getting better, I hope it does for you too!

Potassium is available in bulk powder. I take NOW brand potassium gluconate. You use measuring spoons,and dilute it with water. I think it's easier than capsules.

Magnesium oxide may be harder to absorb than the other types. ( chelates) Magnesium chloride is OK if stomach acid is low, but could burn if you don't need extra chloride. ( Folks here tend to take Mg.Glycinate, Gluconate, Taurate, or Threonate.)

I haven't tried the Life Extension brand, or the Klaire brand. ( Please let us know what you think.Use the symptoms list.) I'm sticking with the Enzymatic Therapy brand because it is the most effective I've tried, but I hope it's not the only one.

I'm beginning to love cooking too, now that I'm more used to cooking from scratch, and avoiding the fortified, readymade, fake folate junk.

Hugs to you too!

cph13

cph13;

Hi ;
I've gotten into this situation many times now. Folate is very powerful, and finding out own correct dosage is difficult, because there's a lag time before it takes full effect. I would prefer to get it from diet alone, but like B12, I don't absorb it so well. ( But still, I don't need as high a dosage as other folks. However, I need more than most of the B12.) I've been on a 'seesaw', lately. It's getting better, I hope it does for you too!
==============Hija Crux....may I ask? How much mB12 and/cB12 R U taking?

Potassium is available in bulk powder. I take NOW brand potassium gluconate. You use measuring spoons,and dilute it with water. I think it's easier than capsules.
==============Thanks putting in an order / iherb.com
Magnesium oxide may be harder to absorb than the other types. ( chelates) Magnesium chloride is OK if stomach acid is low, but could burn if you don't need extra chloride. ( Folks here tend to take Mg.Glycinate, Gluconate, Taurate, or Threonate.)
I find 2 before bed works wonderfully.
==============The mag. chloride before bed did wonders for me in the morning. I guess my stomach acid is low. WHO KNEW! Aside from the ulcer I had when I was 13yo to 21yo I have NO stomach problems. Once a yr. maybe after lobster bisque or smoked ham meatloaf and pea soup (all homemade) I get horrid ulcer type pain...I just stay away thinking.......... it's just too rich for me but I may be experiencing low s. acid at those times. It's very strange.

I haven't tried the Life Extension brand, or the Klaire brand. ( Please let us know what you think.Use the symptoms list.) I'm sticking with the Enzymatic Therapy brand because it is the most effective I've tried, but I hope it's not the only one.
===============I certainly will share the outcome of the Life extention trial. I guess this http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ylation-and-healing.21725/page-15#post-337908 is the symptom list I am WAY BEHIND on reading that page (computer issues) THANKS Again, Crux

I'm beginning to love cooking too, now that I'm more used to cooking from scratch, and avoiding the fortified, readymade, fake folate junk.
===============I'm a foodie. Since I found out about fake folate, I now don't even like going to restaurants and they don't like seeing me. I ask too many questions about prep. 8-}
Hugs to you too!
Crux have a great week....Sunshine and healing C

Crux

Crux have a great week....Sunshine and healing C

Hi C; Same to you, but more of it!
About the dosage of MeCbl I'm taking-- I'm about 5-7mg. daily, still working on it.
About the dosage of AdoCbl-- I've stopped for now until I stabilize the MeCbl. ( I'm trying to practice using these abbreviations that Freddd uses, and that we see in the reports.)
( I've been able to add Folate again, 100mcg. daily now. I'll increase slowly, but I don't think I'll need high dosages. 400-600 mcg. used to be good in my case.)

That's great news about the mag. chloride!

Thanks for finding Freddd's most recent symptoms list, it's a good one. ( you don't have to have every symptom, but even a few may indicate B12 deficiency.)

I'm a foodie too, we rarely go out, it's hard to trust. When we do go out, I just 'Bless it twice'.

BBFN

cph13

+++++yes, blessing it is a good thing LOL
what does your closing BBFN mean????

I am v. grateful for all that Freddd shares. I am also grateful that people just jump in and help. This is a wonderful site with some AMAZING people. Be well XO C

Crux

BBFN is an acronym for, " Bye Bye For Now".
I thought it was what "Tigger" said in "Winnie the Pooh", but I looked it up, and apparently, Tigger would say, TTFN, "Ta Ta For Now".
I prefer BBFN. It makes me smile.

Lotus97

According to Wikipedia, domesticated almonds don't have cyanide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond#Origin_and_history
The wild form of domesticated almond grows in parts of the Levant; almonds must first have been taken into cultivation in this region. The fruit of the wild forms contains the glycoside amygdalin, "which becomes transformed into deadly prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) after crushing, chewing, or any other injury to the seed."[6]
Almond is considered to be one of the earliest domesticated tree nuts. Wild almonds are bitter, the kernel produces deadly cyanide upon mechanical handling, and eating even a few dozen at one sitting can be fatal. Selection of the sweet type, from the many bitter types in wild, marked the beginning of almond domestication. How humans selected the sweet type remains a mystery.[7] It is unclear as to which wild ancestor of the almond created the domesticated species. Ladizinsky suggests the taxonAmygdalus fenzliana (Fritsch) Lipsky is the most likely wild ancestor of the almond in part because it is native of Armenia and western Azerbaijan where it was apparently domesticated.
While wild almond species are toxic, domesticated almonds are not; Jared Diamond argues that a common genetic mutation causes an absence of glycoside amygdalin, and this mutant was grown by early farmers, "at first unintentionally in the garbage heaps, and later intentionally in their orchards".[8] Zohary and Hopf believe that almonds were one of the earliest domesticated fruit trees due to "the ability of the grower to raise attractive almonds from seed. Thus, in spite of the fact that this plant does not lend itself to propagation from suckers or from cuttings, it could have been domesticated even before the introduction of grafting".[6] Domesticated almonds appear in theEarly Bronze Age (3000–2000 BC) such as the archaeological sites of Numeria (Jordan),[7] or possibly a little earlier. Another well-known archaeological example of the almond is the fruit found in Tutankhamun's tomb in Egypt (c. 1325 BC), probably imported from the Levant.[6] Of the European countries that the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh reported as cultivating almonds, Germany[9] is the northernmost, though the domesticated form can be found as far north as Iceland.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond#Sweet_and_bitter_almonds
The seeds of Prunus dulcis var. dulcis are predominately sweet,[23][24] but some individual trees produce seeds that are somewhat more bitter. The fruits from Prunus dulcis var. amara are always bitter as are the kernels from other Prunus species like apricot, peach and cherry (to a lesser extent).
The bitter almond is slightly broader and shorter than the sweet almond, and contains about 50% of the fixed oil that occurs in sweet almonds. It also contains the enzyme emulsin which, in the presence of water, acts on a soluble glucosides, amygdalin and prunasin,[25]yielding glucose, cyanide and the essential oil of bitter almonds, which is nearly pure benzaldehyde. Bitter almonds may yield from 4–9 mg of hydrogen cyanide per almond.[26][27] Extract of bitter almond was once used medicinally, but even in small doses, effects are severe, and in larger doses can be deadly; the cyanide must be removed before consumption.[28]
All commercially grown almonds are of the "sweet" variety.

alex3619

Just a comment on the "B17" Laetrile cure for cancer: it has been thoroughly debunked again and again. What convinced me was an Israeli claim which showed it was a miracle cure. They "cured" a whole lot of patients. It was much publicized. A year later a (UK?) journalist went to Israel for a follow up story. He (?) got a story alright. He tracked down every single patient. All dead. Of cancer.

Almonds and cashews are processed, stored or bred to eliminate cyanide. However wild cashews can kill you ... don't ever eat straight from a cashew tree, at least any of the original varieties.

A lot of these foods containing laetrile have other properties. They are extremely good nutition. So eating the food might indeed help with many things, even cancer.

physicsstudent13

I unfortunately was led into smoking by friends and have high cyanide levels. So hydroxocobalamin can increase my oxygen and lower cyanide or maybe rhodanese is even better? I'd like to get injections but I only have these wafers that I bought

cph13

WARNING A DIATRIBE:
HELLO PRising enthusiast's.

I found this post in my trash folder n re-read the entire thing. I wanted 2 bump it up for other newbies 2 C.
@Asklipia, @Crux, @Freddd, @alex3619 @caledonia et all that posted here or have helped me along the way... Too many too remrmber.

I've been not around that much because I fried my laptop n can't afford another, I thought the phone wud do it all. Doing this stuff on the galaxy phone is a challenge. Old eyes, big fingers u get it; I'm CHALLENGED!!!!!

So, the lamb stew in this post written a few years ago came out unbelievable. Froze it, made a huge pot. Now, Meat has gotten so expensive. No lamb this Easter! However, I finally found 3 organic markets I can get to with antibiotic-free meat. Yes expensive but I'm back on the lamb stew bandwagon.
Below:
An update on my issues n what I've accomplished in 2 years n learned:
My health is ehhhh. Still up n down. Today's a good day. Summer is always better.

I've suffered with what can b either gallbladder or pancreatitis. Relentless pain and the big D. 3 attacks in 3 weeks. Me n THE LOO HAVE BECOME GREAT FRIENDS. I found out shaved ginger boiled in water takes care of the pain in the gut. no need for Bella Donna.

My magnificent ID Dr. In NY found I lack pancreatic enzymes n I am homozy for 1298C yup ++ on that baby. This is ????.

I think more research is needed on this ++ baby. I don't think enuf is out there on the web, conflicting...or....IS IT ME???? I've never had 23 n me again $$$$ n fear. More confusion. I emulate anyone that has done it n can follow its results w/o blowing their brains out.

So thank u all for the folate info. guys. I have 2 go to I.D. DR. for analysis my stool test (CDSA). I have results here but ???? what all this means neither does ID DR.

I have fat in stool (LCFA IS HIGH N TOTAL FECAL FAT) so that's enzymes, I think but which ones. Dr gave me "gluten jest" but worsening if constipation made me stop.
Lactbocilucus n basilicus species r low in CDSA. I have s. Boulardi but again bowl issues. I try Getting it thru yogurt now.
On the scfa distribution acetate is thru the roof but no one knows what that means, including Dr.. She's new to managing health naturally/holistically. I love her so I'm patient n will learn with her. UNLESS..someone here has some thoughts..

I will reintroduce veggies thru lamb stew n veg. with Folates from the organic farmers market starting w swiss chard. The veggies were so fresh i may post pics next week. Along with everything for the stew (price prohibitive stew). I will take extra folate JIC. When I do this as @Freddd suggestion sometime ago.

B12 ISSUES:
I've settled with 2 mg of MeCbl n 1600-2400mcg folate. No need for potassium @cruz got me on the right track with that. I was taking 550mg n stopped. Just REINTRODUCED it again.
As for the Cblms. I did the trial 1/2 hr. 1,000 MCG of MeCbl for 6 hrs. n felt nothing. I don't know if I may be MeCbl saturated???? OR ITS NOT GETTING into CNS. Oh I DID NOT SLEEP FOR about 2 DAYS. What does that mean????

I managed 2 get some b12 oil. I c no difference from 2000mcg enzymatic, EVEN WITH 1,000MCG increase that is in the shot of oil. I thought oil wud be the kick I needed. What a disappointment n waste of money.

Still need 2 trial AdCbl SOURCE Naturals with the 6 hr satuation test for CNS.

AdCbl oil really did nothing either. I will give that another test.

SLEEP:
neither b12 or folate bother me at the 2+2 dosage even if I take an extra folate before bed.

DIPHENIHYDRAMIN or ANY ANTI- histamines cause deterioration of my brain. ANTI-CHOLINERGETICS are not good for me. I spent all last summer going 2 neuros. I had a 5 hour evaluation and testing with cubes, rectangles etc. I have no dementia, pre park. Alz. Bottom line PA said
" although u r mixing types up u r taking anti-cholinergerics" which effect your brain function.
I stopped them all n now for sleep i am still on .75 of klonepin for muscle spasms, tyrosine in a.m. tryptophan in late afternoon.
BEDTIME:
5-htp ENTERIC coated, 5- htp sublingual (+more if I wake during the night) jujube fruit herb, calcium, n mag. Chloride or glycinate. I sleep about 5-6 he's. Not great but better.
I was taking 1 gram of yucca. After 60 days I end up with the gallbladder/ pancreas attack n stopped that. I may revisit that. Now I have glycine to add but I don't know how much. I'm chillin waiting for my lamb n veggies for next week.
I DO TAKE 5mg. Doxepine once in awhile when I feel my sleep Is not enough.

So, to all my Compadre's here in the quest to heal THANK YOU for you endless research, trails, and sharing. I have NO chemistry so, much of this is challenging for me. My brain is not perfect so that is challenging.

Your warm hearts that are full of empathy, caring, concern is the only thing I can hang my hat on . I pray u never get tired of sharing. BLESSINGS to all,
Happy healing with prayers for all. XO, cph13
Ps- if I haven't mention u by name forgive me n my brain
Love n hugs