• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bactrim for sinusitis?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Searching bactrim for sinusitis, seems to be commonly used in the USA but its not used that commonly here in australia. Do people find bactrim helpful for sinusitis when it flares up??

Does it have any more side effects compared with other antibiotics??

I had a recent sinusitis flare after a cold a couple of weeks ago and doxycycline just wasnt cutting the mustard. I have been on augmentin now for 2 days, seems to be doing a good job already. Normally i have been on doxy to prevent sinusitis which has worked well and i stopped taking it at the beginning of the year and was doing ok but i suppose with our dodgy immune systems it just takes a cold to knock us and sinusitis to flare up again. I think the doxy is generally a good preventative but when infection is in full swing we need something abit stronger to hammer the little buggers.

it seems like we are always chasing our tails??

sianrecovery

We are chasing complex organisms with a real ability to develop resistance, more like. Doxy no longer does it for my kidney infections etc. Sinusitis - you probably want something that can pack a punch against anaerobic bacteria, and that is not doxy's gift. Augmentin, broad spectrum, maybe. Worth googling some of the dental studies on resistant bacteria and the right abx to use.
Do you use a netti pot, or anything like colloidal silver topically? Do you steam with some of the anti-bacterial essential oils?

sianrecovery

ps I was treated with Bactrim for years for UTI's, and then became allergic to it - the last time all my joints swelled up and turned red. I have no idea about its efficacy for sinusitis, but have since been told its an abx that people often have problems with.

golden

I haven't quite got to grips with methylation cycles yet...
but if Sulfa/sulphur can be a particular problem for m.e. people...

this product contains it.

The data sheet is useful too.

After over 7 years on daily anti-biotics, I avoid them.

sianrecovery

Yes, I have an issue with sulfa, and guess that's why it turned on me.

Heaps - type betterhealthguy into your search engine, Scott Forsgreen's site comes up, and it has a good section on Sinus Health and Cleansing. You know Shoemaker writes a lot about MARCONS, and their effect on the immune system?
Also - maybe have a look at the link I am uploading and think about it from a biofilm perspective. There are some other good discussions of biofilm on the forum the link it too.
Sorry - link doesn't work - but the title is in the text it would let me attach.

Attachments

• Oral Biofilm Entry and Immune System Response.txt
    31.1 KB · Views: 12

golden

I thought the sulphur might make m.e. people particularly vulnerable to it...

but on researching it I think its been banned in the UK

And many people are in fact suffering horrendous side effects from it :(

Still wouldn't touch a netti pot to save my life though lol :) I don't know why but i just can't bear the idea... not enough courage :)

sianrecovery

They told me if I took it again I might go into anapal...analpalactic...oh bollocks, you know what I mean, shock.

I don't use a neti pot, just a dropperful of colloidal silver. Most of the stuff on Scott's website are sprays.

Plum

My 2 cents is not going to be very helpful... after a childhood with sinus problems and issues as an adult, I have found Perrin Therapy very useful for my sinusitis. To begin with it made it horrendously worse (lucky me) and has now completely shifted. I can breathe properly. I think cranial osteopathy would help in a similar way.

Plum

Yeah, although I need some heavy cranial osteopathy to clear my sinuses out - it was some serious hard work and feeling unwell for a couple of weeks. But at the other end of it is awesomeness!

jeffrez

I would try going with Biaxin rather than sulfur loaded Bactrim. Biaxin is pretty much the antibiotic of choice for sinus infx now, imho. Nothing else touched mine, including garlic, which I've actually found to be better than most Abx if whole cloves are taken 3-4 times a day - except for the potential sulfur issues there, too. Overall, you're better off not risking it if you even suspect sulfur sensitivities and imo just going with the Biaxin.

golden

you are very welcome - now pretend you are talking slowly to an idiot - how do you do a link like the one you've posted above?
xxxx

Its just the copy and paste function...

What may have thrown you is the link only activates once its posted...

From a mobile phone touch screen, i just press and told the link. This highlights it and brings up the copy and paste menu. I copy it. Come back to the forum, hold finger on screen until menu shows up and choose paste.

From a computer, I left click the mouse, holding it down, drag the mouse over the area I want to highlight.
Once the link is highlighted, I press control key and 'c'.

Once back on the forum I press control key and 'v'.

Sorry if you already knew how to copy and paste!!! Thought I would include it just in case.

Someone may come along and explain a super short cut :)

Hope that works.

golden

Yeah, although I need some heavy cranial osteopathy to clear my sinuses out - it was some serious hard work and feeling unwell for a couple of weeks. But at the other end of it is awesomeness!

Did you go to a cranial osteopath or do you mean as part of the perrin technique..

My perrin technique self massage - the head one where you pretend to break an egg on your head and then massage down - was exasperating my problem because it was all getting stuck round my ears and at the collar bone....

but i learned special drainage for this and its really helped.

However, i feel like my head bones click and shift and this makes things worse.

I even tried the atlas technique - thinking that could not fail to work - but that did nothing other than blinkin' hurt ha ha :)

I would love to fix the head crunchies :)

Plum

Cranial Osteopathy is part of Perrin so I was suggesting for those that didn't have a Perrin Practitioner near them they could try Cranial on it's own. I have had a lot of tenderness since starting Perrin but my therapist seems very good at knowing just when and how to push things to make them better in the long run. I have found it the most useful thing I've tried so far.

jeffrez

Is there something called the Sharp Protocol, using an anti-fungal and biaxin for biofilm, or did I dream that?

Never heard of that, but I wouldn't be surprised to know it exists. My doc had me on Mupirocin (abx) and amphotericin (antifungal) thru nebulizer. Can't say it helped a lot, the Biaxin is what really did the trick, but abx + AF is probably a commonly used combination.