• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resveratrol anyone?

sregan

Dr's Best Red Wine Resveratrol

I have taken this in the recent past and it was very noticeable. I was slightly more alert (on guard) and felt like it was perhaps a methyl donor but defintely doing something in the body. I was just taking 1 or 2 per day. Most supplements I can't really tell it's doing anything. Not this stuff, something happening and big time. Just not sure what, wondering if anyone uses resveratrol and what it might be doing? (note I cannot take the "Knotweed" version of resveratrol as it has GI side effects common to knotweed in many)

Freddd

Hi Sregan,

Until you mentioned it I had no idea of various sources. Do they make any difference other than individual sensitivity what source they are from? What GI side effects? It's 250mg once a day.

I'm taking what I would now identify as a knotweed form though it is not any form of weed I'm familiar with.

sregan

To be blunt, knotweed gave me diarrhea. That's appartenlly a common side effect and it's a common herb for Lyme. The Red Wine version I can take but it feels like it's boosting NE maybe?

The diarrhea is probably from emodin which is in the less pure forms like 20% and 50% trans resveratrol. I order and sell bulk quantities. All the vitamin companies want 20-50% which is much less expensive than the 98% I buy to sell to friends. Emodin, however, has some benefits, despite it's action as a laxative. It is good for lowering blood sugar (anti-diabetic) and some research has shown anti-cancer actions. It has low bio-availability unfortunately, and so it's not as effective as an oral anti-diabetic as it could be, if it were injected.

BTW it can be found in many things like grape skins, berries, peanuts, etc. Japanese Knotweed happens to have the greatest concentration and it's in the roots. Knotweed is one of the most invasive plants on earth, like kudzu, it takes over and spreads until it becomes a monoculture, often along riverbanks. The Pacific NW and New England are full of it and England is so overrun with it that they have imported an insect from the Far East to try to slow it's growth. It has a cane like stem and heart shaped leaves that has tiny white flowers in late summer. I assure you, you have seen it growing somewhere in your travels. It's actually all over the U.S. in every state except maybe seven, I recall.

There are companies that make a synthetic version and it's less expensive than the plant extracts. There are some companies that make an acetylated synthetic version, which is what David Sinclair used. Other forms are water soluable (it's usually ethanol or oil soluable) and micronized for better absorbtion. Most comes from China, and despite fears, I tested it and the companies I deal with are accurate in their chemical analysis. I've been on it for 5 years and feel very healthy at 64 and have noticed my metabolic rate jumps (temperature rises quickly) with just a little exercise. I stay fit without as much exercise as measured by the number of repetitions of exercise I can do after longer periods without exercise.

I've been researching as a lay person for years as to what it does and it all leads to "autophagy." It's the process cells use to self digest damaged organelles and even healthy ones if you are starving. Autophagy, look it up, is receiving immense attention. However, in active cancer, autophagy should be stopped because cancer uses it to feed itself. Otherwise it's a cancer preventative. There have been other substances that induce autophagy like fisetin, spermidine (yes it's found in semen and plants), rapamycin (a powerful inducer and prescription for kidney transplant patients) and other plants extracts. Metformin the common prescription for type 2 diabetes also has powerful anti-aging effects with few side effects.

Jarod

Anybody else have trouble sleeping with resveratrol? I tried vitacost brand and felt the energy boost, but it kept me from sleeping.

sregan

I've been researching as a lay person for years as to what it does and it all leads to "autophagy." It's the process cells use to self digest damaged organelles and even healthy ones if you are starving. Autophagy, look it up, is receiving immense attention. However, in active cancer, autophagy should be stopped because cancer uses it to feed itself. Otherwise it's a cancer preventative. There have been other substances that induce autophagy like fisetin, spermidine (yes it's found in semen and plants), rapamycin (a powerful inducer and prescription for kidney transplant patients) and other plants extracts. Metformin the common prescription for type 2 diabetes also has powerful anti-aging effects with few side effects.

Great info Eastwind. I wonder if you might be able to recommend a brand or brands...

Yes, it's quite interesting that the stress the plant itself feels produces a chemical in the fruit that when ingested tells the organism that there is possibly a drought or conditions where food may be scarce so the body goes from normal replication mode to repair mode.

In her book "Primal body, Primal Mind" Nora Gedgaudas talks about how it is specifically the amino acid methionine that triggers the same effect in humans via calorie restriction diets. The only substance that needs to be restricted is methionine to trigger this mode. Eating resveratrol I'm sure it easier unless your diet is already leaning vegetarian or vegan.

Great info Eastwind. I wonder if you might be able to recommend a brand or brands...

Yes, it's quite interesting that the stress the plant itself feels produces a chemical in the fruit that when ingested tells the organism that there is possibly a drought or conditions where food may be scarce so the body goes from normal replication mode to repair mode.

In her book "Primal body, Primal Mind" Nora Gedgaudas talks about how it is specifically the amino acid methionine that triggers the same effect in humans via calorie restriction diets. The only substance that needs to be restricted is methionine to trigger this mode. Eating resveratrol I'm sure it easier unless your diet is already leaning vegetarian or vegan.

I have not come across methionine restriction in my reading, but there is so much out there, just go to <pubmed.com> and enter resveratrol and you will get over 3000 research citations. I order my resv directly from suppliers from China. I work with ex P&G scientists that are working on cancer research and they tested my purchases with HPLC. I buy in bulk and simply repackage into 60 gm packages for eighty dollars to a small group who like buying wholesale. This is 5-10 times less expensive and I figured if I am going to take resv for the rest of my, hopefully extended life, I might as well go wholesale. The prices for capsules are so much more. After I found 98% had little taste, I just started putting a 1/4 tsp under my tongue for a minute then I wash it down with water or juice. I take it twice a day with quercetin which I buy in bulk also. I recently also ordered kilograms of grape seed extract and ellagic acid (from raspberries). Only the grapeseed extract tastes to bitter to take without a capsule. I use a capsule machine to make my own...it's about 30 bucks for the kit with 00 capsules. You can find them on Ebay.

UM MAN

Resveratrol from anything other than grapes, gave me a really bad sinus allergic reaction.
I shudder when I hear Resveratrol. Who knows how many organic compounds are in ground up,
non-food, plant roots?

Jarod

Jarod, are you taking in the morning?

Heya Sregan, not on it at the moment, but was taking it in the AM with food. There are the nano vitamins(w/resveratrol) that some CFS'ers are trying on the other forum, but they seem to irritate my stomach.

It would be interesting to try a more pure form, or some made from red wine and see how that works.

Lotus97

Resvertrol can help suppress inflammatory cytokines. It's listed as a Th2 stimulant so I'm not sure if it would cause problems for people who are Th2 dominant. I'm taking inosine and Epicor to shift from Th2, but I'm also taking resveratrol to make sure my Th1 doesn't get out of control.

For Lyme treatment, Buhner actually recommends the whole herb since most knotweed extracts are standardized for resveratrol (rather than a full spectrum extract). Paradise Herbs sells a full spectrum knotweed extract, but of course they call it resveratrol even though it doesn't seem to have that much in it.

Lotus97

You gotta love marketing. This from a bottle of knotweed resveratrol.:lol: (Those are grapes on the bottle)
300.jpg

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I was very excited until recently to start supplementing Resveratrol for my intestinal inflammation, it seems to be one of the most powerful polyphenols or natural substances for IBD and leaky gut. However, I already have awful sleep problems and aggravating them would be a great way to go quickly downhill... Too many people report sleep problems to ignore it. I don´t know, I might try it. According to a forum poster here, the sleep-worsening effects of RES are due to its lowering PGE2 potential.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I´ve been looking in arachidonic acid metabolites inhibitors recently. Is quite obvious I am inflammed, looking at test results and symptoms, intestinal,neurological and pelvic inflammation being obvious. Resveratrol is a possibly good candidate, as so is PollenAid, which would have the plus of helping with pelvic pain which I have.

http://www.graminex.com/graminex/fi..._metabolism_by_an_extract_from_rye_pollen.pdf

How much RES do you take now alex? Have you tried quercetin?

Last edited:

Freddd

Thank you Eastwind. That was very informative. I have ordered my own capsule machine, 00, for similar purposes with other items. MUCH easier than stuffing them by hand and for the trials I'm starting, I am making my own custom vitamins. A b-complex is one of them on the schedule and an MeCbl-AdoCbl combo is another, for experimenting with specific fixed ratios and so on.

I haven't noticed anything at all with any form of Resveratrol at all. No effect or changes of anything noticeable and not my partner either. Though when she got her latest set of blood tests, several. the nurse calling it to her said that she had never seen one before that had everything so normal. She doesn't have our disorders but is taking a basic package with emphasis on the things that are for her problems. She takes it too.

Freddd

I´ve been looking in arachidonic acid metabolites inhibitors recently. Is quite obvious I am inflammed, looking at test results and symptoms, intestinal,neurological and pelvic inflammation being obvious. Resveratrol is a possibly good candidate, as so is PollenAid, which would have the plus of helping with pelvic pain which I have.

http://www.graminex.com/graminex/fi..._metabolism_by_an_extract_from_rye_pollen.pdf

How much RES do you take now alex? Have you tried quercetin?

Hi Beyond,

AdoCbl with the basics and the rest of the deadlock quartet is extremely effective against inflammation and neurological and intestinal most exceptionally well typically.