• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

sugar addiction

snowathlete

I have always had a sugar addiction; since I was a little kid.
I meant to ask De Meirleir about it, but forgot.
I dont know if my stool test will provide some answers or not?

I have frequently dieted (though not for a while now) and significantly cut back on sugar, but didnt notice any benefit.

I know yeast needs sugar but I wonder if there may be other reasons why my body craves it. After all yeast is not my body, yet it is my body always crying out for it. I guess im not quite convinced about it being yeast overgrowth, though I remain open to the idea.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
snowathlete

Have you ever done a glucose tolerance test? (fast overnight, drink a bottle of disgustingly sweet glucose, then they test your levels for about 3 hours--sometimes they also test insulin, which is even better)

And then they say that sugar is just plain addictive, but don't have any data on that. It might be interesting to check to see whether it is the taste of sugar sucking you in or the metabolic affect. You could check that with something like xylitol which is not supposed to affect blood sugar levels or to affect candida.

For me it does seem that candida is related to sugar craving.

Sushi

snowathlete

snowathlete

Have you ever done a glucose tolerance test? (fast overnight, drink a bottle of disgustingly sweet glucose, then they test your levels for about 3 hours--sometimes they also test insulin, which is even better)

And then they say that sugar is just plain addictive, but don't have any data on that. It might be interesting to check to see whether it is the taste of sugar sucking you in or the metabolic affect. You could check that with something like xylitol which is not supposed to affect blood sugar levels or to affect candida.

For me it does seem that candida is related to sugar craving.

Sushi

Hi Sushi,
not had a glucose tollerance test, no. ive started eating xylitol candy to try and reduce the cravings. not sure it is working though.

I have thought the same as you. That my body needs something in the sugar. Since (like you) I have sometimes cut back and don't notice a benefit.

I have had a glucose tolerance test and was pronounced not diabetic.

With the sugar I am better mentally. Sometimes I have cut out all sugar for weeks, but ate fruit which has high amounts of natural sugar. I do fine with that natural sugar replacement. I do crave sugar but it's not that hard to give up, if I increase how much fruit.

I think I get more benefit from high fructose corn syrup, which is much more unhealthy than sugar, so I wish I didn't.

Tammy

I craved sugar and happened to be deficient in chromium...............when I started taking chromium picolonate I didn't care if someone put any kind of sweet in front of me. Unlike SickofSickness...........I have a hard time giving up sugar unless I take the chromium...........don't take it every day but intermintitely.

Plum

For me sugar cravings are linked to fatigue - if you look into adrenal fatigue there are lots of good explanations for this. Seeing as a lot of people with ME have adrenal issues too.....

When tired, our bodies want instant energy and so crave sugar as they know this will give them the boost they need. Some people do well on utilising sugar. I don't. I found a book called 'Metabolic Typing' very useful as it helps you work out how much of a protein or carb type you are and adjust your diet accordingly.

There is also the argument that sugar is literally addictive. It stimulates pleasure centres in our brains and without it we crave it. I have found chromium to help as well. Also eating a balance diet for me helps with cravings.

Sugar has been said to not only feed candida but cancer as well.

Sushi

snowathlete

Oh, forgot, I take a combo of chromium and vanadium which helps a lot. I was extremely deficient in both when tested on NutrEval. Both are involved with glucose processing. Source Naturals makes a combo in the right proportions and also uses the chromium GTF form which many say is safer than picolinate form.

Sushi

Misfit Toy

I feel like I can't even have sugar in my home. If I eat one thing of sugar, I want more and more. Last night I had three Zitner's butter cream eggs. Not normal. I couldn't stop thinking about them as I was lying there watching TV. I once had PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which is a form of insulin resistance. I don't have that anymore, but I have such a craving for sugar. It really started a couple of years ago. I never had it this bad until a few years ago. It has something to do with hormones for me. Low hormones and energy. About 6 years ago, I used to go and visit my extended family and my cousin would bake a whole cake or something and I would be fine with just not eating it or eating it for desert. Not anymore! That thing would be gone now.

Sushi

Sushi, what is nutrEval. I keep seeing this. More testing....ugh. More supplements probably.

http://www.gdx.net/product/10051

NutraEval is a bargain if you have good insurance (about $150 for a huge array of tests) but not affordable if you don't. Genova will tell you if your insurance will cover it--you have to have met your deductible for the year.

Sushi

sianrecovery

Sugar is highly addictive, and actual addiction to drugs like alcohol and opiates seems to share some pathways with it. We live in a society that is unquestioningly addicted to sugar. And I am no exception, and have always had a problem with the damn stuff. Teitelbaum wrote a book on it, which I've got, and separates out different types of sugar addict. Its a pretty basic look, though.
For myself, I guess I crave the quick energy, because it gives a brief illusion of overcoming mito deficits, because it gives a little rush of addicting brain chemicals, and because I have a GI system full of protozoa who adore the stuff and clearly feel deprived if I dont give them breakfast.
I gave myself a stern talking to today - what is the point of doing all the other good things I do for myself, if I cant kick the white stuff...or its fruit equivalent. There are plenty of contradictory viewpoints around ME and infectious disease, but one commonality is no one thinks sugar's your friend. I have given it up many times, and fallen from grace many times. Xyitol is fine, they say, and even anti-biofilm, but I also read ingesting stuff that is sweet but not an actual sugar can still provoke an insulin response.
Sugar is harmful to pretty much every system in your body, the bugs love, and it gives you nothing.
Yes- I am talking to myself again. Cmon Sian - time for another rattle.

Sometimes people cut back on sugar but they don't realize how much hidden sugar they are having in drinks, fruit, recipes (prepared foods). Or if they cut out sugar doesn't their body convert carbs like bread into sugar? I have cut out all sugar and carbs before, but I needed fruit. Or I can cut out sugar and fruit but eat carbs. It's hard for me to cut all three for more than half a week or a week.

dannybex

snowathlete

Oh, forgot, I take a combo of chromium and vanadium which helps a lot. I was extremely deficient in both when tested on NutrEval. Both are involved with glucose processing. Source Naturals makes a combo in the right proportions and also uses the chromium GTF form which many say is safer than picolinate form.

Sushi
Also thiamine is extremely important if one is eating higher carb or sugary foods -- even if it's whole sugar. Severe thiamine deficiency almost equals the symptoms of ME/CFS...

snowathlete

chromium and vanadium and thiamine - ill look into these, thanks.

I've done diets where I've cut out sugar and carbs, Atkins style, years ago before I was I'll. felt good on it but no drastic change in any sense. When I started eating sugar again I found it more sweet and sickly but that didn't last. lol

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Xyitol is fine, they say, and even anti-biofilm, but I also read ingesting stuff that is sweet but not an actual sugar can still provoke an insulin

I switched to xylitol as part of my low-carb diet last May and find it excellent. Warning to dog owners - it is toxic to them (dogs, not owners!).

There is an excellent book on sweeteners here:

http://ebookbrowse.com/sweeteners-and-sugar-alternatives-in-food-technology-pdf-d195416428

where it says that the insulin response to xylitol is just 11 ('very low'), compared to 100 for glucose. See Table 1.1 in the book for glycaemic and insulin responses for a wide range of sweeteners.

I agree with others - ditch the sugar wherever you can. If it makes you feel better, it could just be in the way that any drug makes an addict feel better in the short term. I think I have heard that a small amount of sucrose helps with absorption of some nutrients, but maybe it is only a very small amount you need for that (hopefully).

Dmitri

When I was an infant, I craved sugar. I can remember using a walker to get to the kitchen and quickly putting spoonfuls of sugar or honey in my mouth.

If feeling affected by the sudden load of carbohydrates, combining the sugar with fat such as butter can buffer the effects.

snowathlete

When I was an infant, I craved sugar. I can remember using a walker to get to the kitchen and quickly putting spoonfuls of sugar or honey in my mouth.

If feeling affected by the sudden load of carbohydrates, combining the sugar with fat such as butter can buffer the effects.

I did this too when i was a young kid. I even got hold of a bottle of calpol (Eek!) and glugged it cause it tasted sweet. Dont know if it actually had sugar in it back then or not?
My parents never found out, but it never did me any harm...:ill:

golden

I think refined sugar causes body inflammation, brain malfunction, immune problems, adrenaline and insulin problems, and mental health problems even severe psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia.

I think personally just concentrating on getting shut of refined sugar the main issue.

My naturopath has mentioned stevia to me but i haven't researched it yet.

Cinnamon I love and this sweeten things naturally.

The other important thing is to get regular meals etc to prevent sugar cravings.

I think caffeine in any format messes up the whole energetic system too. I find its linked to all these issues but I know its all debatable.

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/032689_sugar_mental_illness.html