• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxidative Stress May Be Target of New MS Drug

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
For those interested, here's a little science on how dimethyl fumarate (DMF) may exert its neuroprotective effects :

Effects of dimethyl fumarate on neuroprotection and immunomodulation

Our main finding is that DMF at low concentrations protects neuronal cells from oxidative stress by elevating cellular glutathione, and that similar concentrations also reduce production of proinflammatory cytokines from splenocytes.

http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/9/1/163

Waverunner

What I never understood about oxidative stress and disease is the fact, that we already have thousands of anti-inflammatory substances. Most vitamins, minerals etc. are anti-inflammatory. So what's the difference between this new MS drug and other compounds? Does it address a special form of inflammation?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
What I never understood about oxidative stress and disease is the fact, that we already have thousands of anti-inflammatory substances. Most vitamins, minerals etc. are anti-inflammatory. So what's the difference between this new MS drug and other compounds? Does it address a special form of inflammation?

What may be different is that it apparently stimulates the endogenous anti-inflammatory Nrf2 pathway.

Some previous discussion on this thread :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...oxidative-stress-increases-glutathione.19228/

Gemini

That could be helpful for us since studies have shown we have excessive oxidative stress. Betcha none of us can get it easily, though. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Tecfidera and the oxidative stress studies will be discussed at the April 25-6 FDA meeting?

Basically, Biogen took a common psoriasis drug in Germany, Fumaderm, and "did something to it" so now they can sell it for fantastically high amounts. This is completely absurd. How they were able to get a patent for this is beyond me. People wonder why Medicare is bankrupting us, and no employers want to provide health insurance.

Stock fund portfolio managers polled by the research firm the ISI Group on Wednesday predicted a price of about $51,000 a year, which would be roughly in line with prices of the injectable drugs, but less than the $60,000 a year list price of Gilenya.

Waverunner