• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iron Stores

Mij

It appears they've changed the reference range for ferritin levels. The Normal Range is between 80-300. So I am considered to be in the "depleted iron stores" category at 26. I once got my ferritin up to 50 and I remember I did feel somewhat better when I was out walking.

I don't have low ferritin symptoms such as feeling out of breath or dizziness, so I'm thinking getting to optimal levels over 80 is a lot!

PDXhausted

I've heard anecdotally that you can feel symptomatic under 40. I noticed a big difference going from 17 to 39, but I had to take really high doses for over a year to get it there, so I can't imagine trying to get it to 80. As soon as I backed down on the iron supplements, I started feeling some symptoms again, so I'm not sure if CFS can interfere somehow, or if I just have other problems. I worry about having low iron, but then I worry about taking high doses of iron too!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I just looked at my blood tests from 6 months ago and it gives a normal range of 13 - 400. That is quite a difference on the lower end.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My lab range is 20 - 400. What a wide variation.
I have read that you need to get above 50 to feel better if you have problems with low iron.

My Ferritin hasnt been over 11 in at least 7 years (wasnt testing it before then) It was at 5 for 5 years, now with iron supplementation (for 3 years) i have managed to get it up to 10/11. Despite that i have also become aenemic (low Heamoglobin) i also have small red blood cells - but too many of them. Nobody seems able to explain all this to me. For two years the doctor has been saying that he will send me for injections at the hospital if my iron doesnt improve, but then he never seems to remember.

I would love to know how much lpow iron is causing some of my issues.
All the best,
Justyx

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
The answer to a low lever of something is not always taking more of that something. There may be other problems that are causing the the low lever and that need to be resolved. I have no idea what that might be in the case of low ferritin.

Mij

I have malabsorption problems and eating raw organic sauerkraut has helped. I read somewhere that with hypothyroid the stomach produces less hydrochloric acid. My B12 has also become borderline low now. My TSH is always around 2.89 and it should be below 2. I think the thyroid is playing a role.

I'll bring my ferritin up to 50 but not 80, this seems too high.

Mij

Thought I'd throw this out there.

Copper Deficiency may result in a refractory anemia unrelieved by iron supplementation. A deficiency of copper hinders the deployment of iron by the red blood cells, resulting in the iron being accumulated (and unavailable) within the organs of the body. Because this stored iron cannot be utilized whilst the copper deficiency persists, symptoms of iron deficiency may present despite an actual iron sufficiency.

Underactive Thyroid function (Hypothyroidism) is an indirect cause of low iron as the active thyroid hormone T3 (Triiodothyronine) is essential for good gut function.