• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which SNPs have problems with folic acid and/or folinic acid? MTHFR, MTHFS, more?

Lotus97

I'm new to this whole SNP thing. I have the 23andme test kit sitting right in front of me as I type this. I am wondering which SNPs have problems with folic acid and/or folinic acid? And I would appreciate detailed answers explains why that certain SNP has problems rather than just yes or no. For example it seems certain mutations of both MTHFR and MTHFS have problems with folinic acid, but for different reasons (which I don't understand well at all). I would also like to know whether these SNPs have to avoid folic acid and/or folinic acid entirely or if only moderate to large amounts cause problems. Also, with MTHFR is it only the conversion to from folinic acid to methylfolate that is inefficient, or are do they also have trouble using folinic for other functions?

Freddd

If I knew, I'd tell you. It is this lack of knowledge here that a major problems, nobody apparently able to tie the SNPs to specific examples of folate handling. There are lots of theories but I haven't seen anything so far that correlates with the actual results with folate varieties. I was hoping that people with the testing would figure out how they respond to the various folates and their results with each of 3 types of mixes, complete trials of all and all combos, and the SNPs.

Lotus97

If I knew, I'd tell you. It is this lack of knowledge here that a major problems, nobody apparently able to tie the SNPs to specific examples of folate handling. There are lots of theories but I haven't seen anything so far that correlates with the actual results with folate varieties.
I agree with you there. And I'm not going to say you're wrong by excluding not only folic acid, but also folinic acid. Both you and Rich were trying to make calculated decisions to benefit the maximum amount of people. It's hard (if not impossible) to design a perfect protocol. To a certain extent we're all rolling the dice when it comes to health decisions. Especially considering how much I spend on supplements.

kday

Cerebral folate auto-antibodies are seen in Autism, but as far as I know, I don't think they have been studied in ME/CFS patients. Since I believe the syndromes have the same underlying mechanisms, I believe these auto-antibodies could be very prevalent in the ME/CFS population as well.

But I think you have to have a spinal tap and to measure antibodies in your CSF. And I don't know where you can get that test done.

The treatment: Complete eliminate dairy consumption to downregulate folate receptor autoimmunity, and take folinic acid (not L-methylfolate). I wonder if these measures will help ME/CFS patients.

Sources:
Folate receptor autoimmunity and cerebral folate deficiency in low-functioning autism with neurological deficits
A milk-free diet downregulates folate receptor autoimmunity in cerebral folate deficiency syndrome