• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance

natasa778

http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863(12)00226-4/abstract

Gluten exclusion (protein complex present in many cereals) has been proposed as an option for the prevention of diseases other than coeliac disease. However, the effects of gluten-free diets on obesity and its mechanisms of action have not been studied. Thus, our objective was to assess whether gluten exclusion can prevent adipose tissue expansion and its consequences. C57BL/6 mice were fed a high-fat diet containing 4.5% gluten (Control) or no gluten (GF). Body weight and adiposity gains, leukocyte rolling and adhesion, macrophage infiltration and cytokine production in adipose tissue were assessed. Blood lipid profiles, glycaemia, insulin resistance and adipokines were measured. Expression of the PPAR-α and γ, lipoprotein lipase (LPL), hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), carnitine palmitoyl acyltransferase-1 (CPT-1), insulin receptor, GLUT-4 and adipokines were assessed in epidydimal fat. Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. These results were associated with up-regulation of PPAR-α, LPL, HSL and CPT-1, which are related to lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation. There was an improvement in glucose homeostasis and pro-inflammatory profile-related overexpression of PPAR-γ. Moreover, intravital microscopy showed a lower number of adhered cells in the adipose tissue microvasculature. The overexpression of PPAR-γ is related to the increase of adiponectin and GLUT-4. Our data support the beneficial effects of gluten-free diets in reducing adiposity gain, inflammation and insulin resistance. The data suggests that diet gluten exclusion should be tested as a new dietary approach to prevent the development of obesity and metabolic disorders.

LisaGoddard

Interesting article! I am about to start my gluten-free diet and hope it helps with my weight gain, inflammation and blood sugar problems. Thanks for posting.
Kind regards,
Lisa

golden

I was told by my G.P. that there was no blood test for coeliac disease. I believe thus is one of the things that showed be ruled out before an M.E. diagnoses is given.

I tried 2-3 months free from wheat and felt a bit better but not much. I also was told by a pharmacist that there was a blood test and so I bought it and did it at home. It was negative. Later I discovered you should be eating wheat when taking this test!!

I started wheat again just because its convenient.

I have now not eaten wheat or gluten for many months and I agree with Adreno, in that I believe it to be one of the best things I hAve done.

I think I never gave it a long enough trial in the past and now I am thinking one year or even two years would be a reasonable length if time to see results.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Interesting article! I am about to start my gluten-free diet and hope it helps with my weight gain, inflammation and blood sugar problems. Thanks for posting.
Kind regards,
Lisa

I went gluten-free a few weeks ago. It reduced my years-long, chronic sinusitis within a day sufficiently that I can now breathe lying on my side at night - previously I couldn't because my nose would get too stuffed up.

However, I've put on weight! I increased my intake of nuts and cheese and 90% Lindt chocolate (oops) and I think that's what did it. I was over-optimistic about the weight-loss claims. Just watch your overall calorie intake! :)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Been gluten/casein/egg/sugar free for a few years now, I'm not slim by any means as I need carbs,eat a lot of potatoes and gluten free bread, brown rice etc.
Always worth a try to try to resolve some symptoms.

Adreno where do you get your calcium from in your diet? I have a problem due to a casein free diet, have tried goat's milk which is lower I think but don't tolerate it much better. Is sheep's milk any lower?

Mij

I went on a gluten free diet for one year a few years ago. My stomach went flat with no bloating. My digestion was much improved but overall I can't say I felt any better.

The diet was much easier than I expected with all the brown rice noodles and gluten free substitutes available these days.

Nielk

It seems to me that most if not all people feel better on a gluten free diet. Is there any downside to adhering it?

Valentijn

It seems to me that most if not all people feel better on a gluten free diet. Is there any downside to adhering it?
Biscuits, cake, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pies, waffles, pancakes, many sauces, some processed meats, fast food, etc ... things that can be a lot harder to find or make without gluten :p

But if you can handle the deprivation and cravings, you'll probably live longer :thumbsup: