• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VSL 3

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has tried the VSL-3 probiotic and if it is worth the high price? Also, I know there is a otc version and a prescription version- has anyone found a difference between the two, and has anyone's insurance covered the prescription version?

(I apologize if there is already a thread on this- the search function wouldn't work for "vsl 3" because the characters were too short/common. If there is a thread can I get the link? Thanks!)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has tried the VSL-3 probiotic and if it is worth the high price? Also, I know there is a otc version and a prescription version- has anyone found a difference between the two, and has anyone's insurance covered the prescription version?

(I apologize if there is already a thread on this- the search function wouldn't work for "vsl 3" because the characters were too short/common. If there is a thread can I get the link? Thanks!)

Hi,

I take VSL #3. When you compare the amount of bacteria per packet it isn't much different in price from taking an equal amount of another good probiotic to get the same bacteria count. My doctor has recommended VSL #3 for me after analyzing a gut test.

I don't know of a prescription form, just the forms shown here:

http://www.sundropsonline.com/category_s/61.htm?gclid=CJKO5er_jLYCFexaMgodjg0A6A

The capsules are half the strength of the packets and about half the price. I take the packets. VSL #3 is slightly less expensive at Costco because you don't have to pay for cold shipping and Costco is just a bit cheaper anyway.

Sushi

beaverfury

beaverfury

VSL-3 is super yummy. It also did a magic job at making my gut feel better. (My gut tends to burn).

But at $174 AUS for a months supply who can afford to take it. I'm interested to see there is a prescription version in USA. I wish this was the case in Aus.

Any bacterial colonisation it does was short lived for me as problems returned. One would need to keep taking a maitenance dose i would think.

In this way growing your own kefir plant is much cheaper and may do a good job for your gut health

Tristen

Tested positive for dysbiosis and LPS+ back when KDM was on that......did the month of Xifaxin which I tolerated just fine, followed with VSL3, which I could not tolerate....even taking 1/4 packets. May have been a reaction to the type(s) of bacteria in the mix. But hey, the stuff is worth a try, and maybe I should do so again since I'm sure the dysbiosis is not completely resolved.

My insurance would not pay for the VSL3. Check with the company that produces the stuff and maybe they have some kind of compassionate care program. http://www.vsl3.com/

Misfit Toy

I was on the packets and I had the strangest reaction. This was back in 2003. I was so sick, broke out in a rash and had horrible diahrea. I will never learn how to spell that last word! Anyway, it was so bad and I had horrible burning. I felt like my intestine was on fire. I became so sick that my doctor had me do a colonoscopy and my entire intestine was beat red.

I was a rare case and I have no idea what happened because I can take any other probiotic, but this one made me so sick and yes, it was very expensive.

Again, I doubt that will happen to most people!! My rare body.

Ema

I've taken VSL #3 since 2009. It is expensive but I also feel like it is worth it (especially given my antibiotic regime).

I am not aware of a prescription form either. As far as I know, it is a medical food.

That said, your doctor can write a letter that it is a medical necessity for you to submit to your insurance company. They may or may not cover it but it is worth a try. Also, Costco has by far the best pricing and you don't need a membership in most states to use the pharmacy. It is at least $10/month cheaper.

Lastly, make sure not to get the unflavored version. It is clumpy and will not mix well into plain water.

Ema