• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Colonoscopy - how to keep your strength?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I'm due to have a colonoscopy early next week, anyone have a pre- op diet that will help give me strength for the 40hrs of not eating solid food, I am prepared to do clear soups with chicken and veg on the day prior - will that be enough? I really don't want this procedure to set me back after crawling a bit forward healthwise over the past couple of weeks.

Plum

I think I only gave up food for 24 hours. Was only allowed ice lollies and coke etc. I hated it but survived. I can't imagine doing it now if I was feeling worse than normal though. The experience itself wasn't that bad and was over pretty quickly - I also found it really cool watching the images!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Well Plum I worked out if I eat at 7pm then clear fluids the following day and the procedure the day after that, booked in for 10am so probably 11am. Its about 40hrs. A long time for a sick person on a very restricted diet anyway.

Plum

I wasn't restricted for that long - any reason why you have to go so long without food? Are you taking the laxatives?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Well it is the UK Sushi they like to make the patients suffer!!!
Your bowel WILL be empty no matter you can barely walk..........

Yes I have 4 sachets to take each with a litre of liquid - 1/3/5/7pm I'm not looking forward to it.

Sea

The clear liquids will still provide nutrition. Some of the sport drinks like Gatorade are allowed too - just check which ones, some colours are not allowed.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks Sea - thats what I'm hoping, just wondering if anything in the few days before might help, a miracle perhaps!! Re the Gatorade - I think there are probably things in it I don't have in my diet.
I'm going to squeeze lemons and add stevia to mix with the sachets and bottled water.
You're right about colours no red or blackcurrant.

Sea

If you tolerate glucose/dextrose it would probably be a better choice in this instance than stevia because it would provide some calories to keep you going

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks I'll check it out - I usually bypass bottled drinks they have so much stuff in them I can't be bothered reading it all. But a few people have mentioned Gatorade so maybe a bit 'cleaner' so to speak.
You've stirred my memory as well - I can have jelly so could get some gelatine and make my own with lemon and stevia. Now that sounds okay.

sianrecovery

Hey M, sending a big hug - you will be in my thoughts. Tried emailing you, but think maybe to the wrong email address. Let me know how you get on xxxx

Plum

I'm in the UK and didn't have a 40 hr fast. I remember it well as I was starving at supper time. The sachets are fine - if you've ever had the runs it's like that although shouldn't make you feel ill. Good luck with it all.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks I'll check it out - I usually bypass bottled drinks they have so much stuff in them I can't be bothered reading it all. But a few people have mentioned Gatorade so maybe a bit 'cleaner' so to speak.
You've stirred my memory as well - I can have jelly so could get some gelatine and make my own with lemon and stevia. Now that sounds okay.

I remember making up several packets of jello--disgusting, lousy nutrition but tasted really good when I was so hungry. Let's see, lemon, lime and there was one other flavor that was OK. I would normally not drink Gatorade either, but made an exception for this little day of torture. And chicken broth...the best of the choices.

Tip, you usually have the procedure first thing in the a.m. The first time I had one I started the lovely little go-go remedies at the time they said and I had to stay up way too late "finishing the process." Next time I asked the doc if I could start earlier and that worked much better.

Sushi

Sea

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean the Gatorade would necessarily be a better choice than your own mix, I meant that glucose would be better to use than stevia if you made up your own drink because the calories would be helpful at this time.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Good idea Sushi - maybe take them an hour earlier than they say, really don't want to be up all night. And the clocks will have gone forward too - hate this clock job, throws me out too much.

Thanks Sian be glad when its over.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
My doctor allows people to drink two Ensures through the day. This helped me tremendously. You may be able to call the docs office and tell them you have problems when you fast and see if they will make this type of exception for you.

I do these every few years. Yes schedule it for early in the morning. You should not be up all night before I never was, get some sleep. Eat as late as possible the night before. Even though I normally don't consume sugar you need to keep up your sugar and salt or you'll get really weak. I drank pop and broth. Stevia will be useless as it has no calories or vitamins. Gatorade contains brominated vegetable oil which is horrible

I still fainted in the morning so i would let them know if you have blood sugar issues so they can set you up on an IV right away.

If you are sensitive to drugs ask in advance what meds they will give you and make sure they are tolerable. The first time I think I had valium and I was fine. I usually need a dose much lower than healthy people. The last time they gave me I think, proponol (sp?), they could not wake me and had to give me a shot of adrenaline to wake me which was horrific.

The powered laxative made me really nauseous so they let me do two bottles of citromeg (sp?) instead. much better.
I'm overdue for the next one and not looing forward to it! However it saved my life as they found a transitional tumour the first time and removing it saved me from getting cancer and I would not be here now!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Cornichon
I have a list of meds that is usually okay for ME patients
Midazolam - sedation
Fentanyl - pain-killer
Buscopan - muscle relaxant (she said maybe I won't need that one)

So glad to hear your procedure was worth the ordeal and you've recovered.

wow....I would not be able to tolerate that combo... I think fentanyl is something I tried. But I cannot tolerate opiods. Have you tried these before, or similar opiods and benzo? I hope that they are well informed on your condition and give you low doses. and let them know what your BP is before taking the first two. I don't think that it is especially painful so I worry more about the reactions to drugs than the pain.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just re-read the instruction - doh - and I'm not supposed to have had any solid food from midnight last night (Sat) my procedure is due 10am Tues - is this ridiculous or what - don't know what to do now- not due to start to take the laxatives until midday tomorrow - had 2 pieces of toast and chicken and veg for lunch - just made a salad for tea, probably should start making chicken soup but I'm sooo tired - I'll say again the NHS is ridiculous.
That adds up to 63 hrs (I ate yesterday at 7pm) without solid food including 10hrs nil by mouth.
Think I'll just put the salad into the juicer including the baked potato - sod em- I'm not going that long without food.