• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Difficult to understand?

Fuzzyhead

Is it just me or does anyone else find the whole methylation protocol difficult to follow or understand?

vamah

Is it just me or does anyone else find the whole methylation protocol difficult to follow or understand?

Absolutely! I look it up online and find pictures of molecules and other things a non-science brain like mine can't process. If anyone can explain it briefly, in plain English, that would be great!

Fuzzyhead

I am wanting to start it but I just can't follow it all. I can't follow the brands or the amount or the times we should take them etc.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am wanting to start it but I just can't follow it all. I can't follow the brands or the amount or the times we should take them etc.

The complexity of the issues involved was one reason why Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg developed the Simplified Methylation Protocol. He knew that many would be daunted by trying to work out all the issues involved so he laid out a step-by-step, easy to follow approach that would likely help the majority--and it seems to have done that.

Best wishes,
Sushi

ahmo

Ha! If only it was just you!! I've been returning again and again to these threads over the last 6 months, trying to incorporate the background info and get clear on the supps. And I've been amazed to see that in some cases I've totally misunderstood, and chosen the less useful supp., ie. poorly utilized B12 and carnitine. I think Freddd's post from early this year is the most comprehensive explanation, though it now has at least 17 pages. Here he lists the "Deadlock Quartet", necessary for progress: Methyl folate, methylB12, adenoB12, L-Carnitine Fumarate (LCF). My experience is consistent with his suggestions, the incorrect B12 and carnitine forms did me no good, the correct ones make a noticeable difference. I'm still moving very cautiously and slowly, to not over-methylate (there's a recent thread re overmethylation), and also dealing with my CBS gene that doesn't process sulfur correctly.

I can only consume these dense threads in small bits. I cut and paste important bits to my notebook so I can digest slowly. I've had to relax into this slow process, I'm really only able to return to this material after at least one day off. Here's another link, which might be of some use, or else way too much info. It's a synopsis of Amy Yasko's protocols for the SNPs, with many diagrams of the significant cycle. If you respond well to charts and diagrams, you might find some help here. This, too, took me many visits to begin to comprehend. Best wishes, ahmo

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

THE COMPLETE METHYLATION REVIEW Fredd Feb 2013
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/the-stages-of-methylation-and-healing.21725/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...min-the-very-large-gorilla-in-the-room.20229/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/what-is-methyl-trapping.22007/ (over-methylation)

Freddd

Hi Fuzzyhead,

Do you have a friend without brainfog who might be able to help you get it going? I know that what can be taken together and what not can be over whelming. Usually, that comes farther along when you are trying to squeeze the last bit of healing out of things, taking all the minor improvements.

Basically I see it like this. A person should get started on the basics; general vitamins, minerals, fats b-complex, A, D, etc, in modest ordinary amounts. It's far more important to have these going then to have any exactitude as to doses and balance in the beginning as there is no balance yet to establish. At the beginning one is out to change the balance towards one that works better. If one has the basics on board then healing has a better chance to start than if it starts by supplying one deficiency and then stops almost immediately in a different broken place with different symptoms because of another.

Then 200mcg of Metafolin, a crumb at a time of both Anabol AdoCbl and ENZY MeCbl until you feel startup. Maintain at that dose, maintaining some brightening in the neurology and some energized feeling. Then observe for what comes up. When certain symptoms intensify find them on the Hypokalemia and/or Low l-methylfolate set of symptoms and titrate the potassium or Metafolin until the symptoms diminish. You may have to make continued adjustments as the adjustments themselves affect the balance over a number of days. The initial potassium titration often tops out between 1200 and 2000mg a day, and the Metafolin titration might go up in various stages to 2400mcg or 8000mcg or even 15mg depending upon the degree of paradoxical folate deficiency you have.

As the Metafolin is increased so might potassium need increase. Be suspicious if it goes over 3000mg.

It's a serious game betting your life and health, no matter what you do or don't do. Skill in recognizing what is happening will help healing. Healing appears to turn on as hundreds of different things beyond specification as ATP becomes more available, as methylation can happen when needed and so on. Starting with the minimal amount of AdoCbl and MeCbl makes sure the needed amounts are present for BODY healing along with the needed items. That is why as it goes in stages, take enough to restore methylation and break methytrap allowing normalization and healing to begin. There appear to be a number of specific response patterns, including no response, that require recognition and choices of how to correct it. Correct assessment of these and correct adjustments often starts changes almost immediately.

ukxmrv

Just wanted to say Fredd that we are very lucky to have you on the group and that I appreciate all the care that you take in trying to understand these problems and with helping others.