• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-mannose cure candida?

Has anyone experience or heard of using d-mannose to cure candida?

My daughter has had a bad case for a year now (along with CFS for 2 years). Last week she had what we thought was a urinary tract infection so we gave her d-mannose five times a day for four days. She has been on the anti-candida diet too. Her urinary tract symptoms cleared up in a few days. She came off the diet and has been eating foods like potatoes, bread, and corn the past three days and has not had the usual candida symptoms (stomache pain, bloating, gas, diahrea). We have tried prescription and medical antifungals but the candida always came roaring back and the die off was pretty bad. With the d-mannose there was no die off.

sianrecovery

I have used it for years on and off to treat the urinary tract infections I get with the genetic kidney disorder I have, and find it very effective for that. One of the ME docs treating me did say she'd seen a paper about a broader effect it has on pathnogens, so maybe - or maybe your daughter had a UTI simmering away?
I understand - and someone will hopefull correct me if I'm wrong - that it is a fractionated sugar, that makes it harder for the bugs to grip the side of the bladder walls. It would be interesting to know more about what it does in the gut.

Has anyone experience or heard of using d-mannose to cure candida?

My daughter has had a bad case for a year now (along with CFS for 2 years). Last week she had what we thought was a urinary tract infection so we gave her d-mannose five times a day for four days. She has been on the anti-candida diet too. Her urinary tract symptoms cleared up in a few days. She came off the diet and has been eating foods like potatoes, bread, and corn the past three days and has not had the usual candida symptoms (stomache pain, bloating, gas, diahrea). We have tried prescription and medical antifungals but the candida always came roaring back and the die off was pretty bad. With the d-mannose there was no die off.

I'm not a big fan of the anti-candida diet for the reason that fungi have mitochrondria and the ability to metabolize ketones. Anti-candida diets call for the elimination of starch, which will make the body ketone rich, the perfect environment for fungi to thrive. If your daughter had success on this type of diet, it's likely possible she has dysbiosis or SIBO and in starving the pathogenic bacteria of their food, carbohydrate, they died off. In fact, your daughters symptoms sound much like SIBO.