• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

macuna dopa , increase dopamine??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
heaps - I have been on humanatrope for a little over 12 months. Recommended by a Dr to "rebuild the immune system" I thought there was progress with immune system as I had a 5 month period of relative health after years of relapses. However, I am currently two and a half months bedridden in relapse. My growth hormone levels were almost unmeasurable in blood levels. There have been obvious side benefits. Huge amounts of new hair growth. Wrinkles appear less obvious and after about ten months my entire body composition has changed to one of a more muscular appearance. I never would have tried it for just the cosmetic reasons, but there are obvious benefits in that area.

So u are getting visual body composition affects but no affects on cfs/me symptoms ie more energy etc?
Does the GH help improve your sleep quality? and were u a bad sleeper prior to GH?
They seem to think that us having low GH is due to our poor sleep, from what i have read???

Thanks for sharing that.

Shoesies

So u are getting visual body composition affects but no affects on cfs/me symptoms ie more energy etc?
Does the GH help improve your sleep quality? and were u a bad sleeper prior to GH?
They seem to think that us having low GH is due to our poor sleep, from what i have read???

Thanks for sharing that.

I actually thought that I had reduction in symptoms, then I relapsed so at this point I am not sure. Sleep..oh no, sleep is worse since this relapse. I was sleeping normally before it. So, perhaps if this relapse is caused by something else then maybe I did get reduction in symptoms and sleep improving. I am confused at this point. My sleep has always been a cyclical issue. If I did not have to concern myself with the cost I would continue it. I have enough now for maybe three more months. You inject it with B12 so that is a plus.

Rand56

On this GH topic..has anyone ever tried this product called GHenerate? I'm actually more interested in trying it because it has "puerarin" in it which comes from kudzu. Puerarin is suppose to be an effective 5-HT2C antagonist which helps in releasing dopamine and NE. Anyone ever try this product and/or just kudzu and got any DA and NE boost from it?

I tried Moclobemide for awhile and didn't do anything for my depression...so I'm basically back to square one on deciding what to try next LOL.

nanonug: Moclobemide is a "reversible" MAOI

Lotus97

On this GH topic..has anyone ever tried this product called GHenerate? I'm actually more interested in trying it because it has "puerarin" in it which comes from kudzu. Puerarin is suppose to be an effective 5-HT2C antagonist which helps in releasing dopamine and NE. Anyone ever try this product and/or just kudzu and got any DA and NE boost from it?
I haven't tried it, but there's some reviews on this site.
http://supplementreviews.com/legal-gear/ghenerate

Rand56

I haven't tried it, but there's some reviews on this site.
http://supplementreviews.com/legal-gear/ghenerate

hi Lotus

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go ahead and atleast try the GHenerate. It's cheap enough for a trial <of course maybe it's cheap for a reason LOL> I know the other kudzu extracts you can get have 40% isoflavones, so I don't know comparitively if the puerarin content in the GHenerate has more in it but atleast it says it's 98% and it's only one of 3 ingredients in it so who knows. I do like the fact that it's a sublingual spray so maybe an added effect from that. Does anybody know that if any substance, such as this, that is a 5-HT2C antagonist would there be any tolerance issues with it if in fact it's effective?

Lotus97

Even if it works, I'm concerned about what happens once you stop taking a growth hormone supplement or medication. I read this review about that HGH supplement I mentioned eariler.

50.png
HGH is great stuff Jun 08, 2010

This product was purchased by Reviewer3262313 from Kentucky
I had been taking this for a few months and ran out. I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference if I just waited a few weeks to order it. By the third week I was tired all of the time and my skin was starting to dry back up severely. I got my new shipment and within a week I was back to my old self. I love it!

Shoesies

Well I am sure that the anti-aging benefits would cease once you stopped taking it. I would think that I might see more apparant wrinkles and possibly a reduction in muscle tone. It took some time to notice the change in my body. I imagine that when ceasing treatment it would take little time to reverse the process.

Lotus97

I find dopa mucuna does give me a mood lift and abit of energy but does seem to work better when i take acetyl tyrosine on an empty stomache with it. I find it also helps with pain especially muscle stiffness i get from certain sleep aids like tricyclic antidepressants, antihistamines and low dose seroquel etc. I think these may cause muscle stiffness possibly through maybe lowering dopamine, so adding dopa mucuna helps raise dopamine levels and reduces this stiffness/pain. I also find if i use mucuna or tyrosine everyday it loses its affectiveness, so i use it when i feel i need that extra lift or muscle stiffness.
That's too bad you can't take it every day. I wonder if that's common with supplements losing their effect over time. I just ordered pterostilbene partially because it raises dopamine, but I was considering also trying dopa mucuna as well. I'm skeptical about the GH aspect, but I was hoping it would help with depression and ADD/ADHD. If I can't take it every day though I'm not sure I'm interested, but I still might give it a go later on.

heapsreal

That's too bad you can't take it every day. I wonder if that's common with supplements losing their effect over time. I just ordered pterostilbene partially because it raises dopamine, but I was considering also trying dopa mucuna as well. I'm skeptical about the GH aspect, but I was hoping it would help with depression and ADD/ADHD. If I can't take it every day though I'm not sure I'm interested, but I still might give it a go later on.

I suspect low dopamine causes muscle pain in me. Times when my muscles get really stiff and sore i have used mucuna and it seems to help and it does improve mood. u could look at trying acetyl tyrosine on a regular basis though? could always keep taking mucuna until it possibly stops working and then take a long break from it. Only reason why i dont use it all the time is because of reports i have read where its effects dont last if taken regularly. its a ceap supp to try anyways??

Lotus97

I suspect low dopamine causes muscle pain in me. Times when my muscles get really stiff and sore i have used mucuna and it seems to help and it does improve mood. u could look at trying acetyl tyrosine on a regular basis though? could always keep taking mucuna until it possibly stops working and then take a long break from it. Only reason why i dont use it all the time is because of reports i have read where its effects dont last if taken regularly. its a ceap supp to try anyways??
That's interesting. People with fibromyalgia are often prescribed antidepressants because that sometimes helps with the pain. I think increasing norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine can all potentially help with the pain. That doesn't mean the pain is psychological although I understand why people can get the wrong idea about that type of treatment and are maybe even hesitant to try it because they think that will give others (including their doctor) the wrong idea about their illness which is physical. Even if there's a neurotransmitter imbalance that doesn't mean the cause isn't physical. There's also Lyrica and Neurontin/gabapentin that act on the GABA receptors, but I think those drugs might involve more than just raising neurotransmitter levels.

I think I probably need more dopamine, but it seems likely that I have too much NE so I haven't tried tyrosine. I know dopamine can convert to norepinephrine though. I'm taking TMG and choline and they potentially can overstimulate the BHMT pathway which would then make it more likely for dopamine to be converted into norepinephrine so I started taking DMG to divert the flow away from the BHMT pathway. I'm hoping the choline will improve my brain fog and some people say cholinergic supplements can have an anxiolytic effect. The TMG is actually in the form of betaine HCL which I'm taking as a digestive enzyme. I'm not taking the choline, DMG, or the TMG (betaine hcl) because they're methyl donors. I wonder if I would be able to tolerate more B12 and methylfolate if I stopped choline and TMG. I'm also planning on starting citicoline and I was thinking it might work better if I was taking choline at the same time. I already have the bottle of citicoline, but I'm waiting to see how the choline works first. I usually buy things on sale, but sometimes wait a few weeks or even a month before I start them. So many things seem to be triggering side effects these days.

heapsreal

That's interesting. People with fibromyalgia are often prescribed antidepressants because that sometimes helps with the pain. I think increasing norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine can all potentially help with the pain. That doesn't mean the pain is psychological although I understand why people can get the wrong idea about that type of treatment and are maybe even hesitant to try it because they think that will give others (including their doctor) the wrong idea about their illness which is physical. Even if there's a neurotransmitter imbalance that doesn't mean the cause isn't physical. There's also Lyrica and Neurontin/gabapentin that act on the GABA receptors, but I think those drugs might involve more than just raising neurotransmitter levels.

I think I probably need more dopamine, but it seems likely that I have too much NE so I haven't tried tyrosine. I know dopamine can convert to norepinephrine though. I'm taking TMG and choline and they potentially can overstimulate the BHMT pathway which would then make it more likely for dopamine to be converted into norepinephrine so I started taking DMG to divert the flow away from the BHMT pathway. I'm hoping the choline will improve my brain fog and some people say cholinergic supplements can have an anxiolytic effect. The TMG is actually in the form of betaine HCL which I'm taking as a digestive enzyme. I'm not taking the choline, DMG, or the TMG (betaine hcl) because they're methyl donors. I wonder if I would be able to tolerate more B12 and methylfolate if I stopped choline and TMG. I'm also planning on starting citicoline and I was thinking it might work better if I was taking choline at the same time. I already have the bottle of citicoline, but I'm waiting to see how the choline works first. I usually buy things on sale, but sometimes wait a few weeks or even a month before I start them. So many things seem to be triggering side effects these days.
I have read a theory that excess noradrenaline is due to low cortisol levels but nothing concrete on this.
lyrica and neurontin i think were originally said to work on gaba but later it was found they had little effect on gaba but do work as a calcium channel blocker which reduces nerve impulses/pain.
There are so many overlapping systems involved in neurotransmitters etc hormones, nmda, histamine. i find it really hard to put it all together, i think thats why sometimes its easier to use a trial and error approach.

Lotus97

Yeah. I find this stuff difficult too. After 15 years of illness I've had to become my own doctor. My current doctor is the best one I've had yet, but she still doesn't think any hormone testing beyond T4 or TSH is necessary. When I asked her about adrenals she only suggested DHEA, but my DHEA was normal when I was tested by a previous doctor so I wasn't interested. My cortisol was what had been tested out of normal range (both high and low) although the doctor who ordered the test only gave me DHEA and nothing else. Now it's been 4 years since any test so at this point I wouldn't mind getting my DHEA retested. I'm taking 25 mg of pregnenolone right now, but I don't think I'm going to do anything else until I get retested. I used to think my symptoms were from high cortisol, but now I'm thinking low cortisol high NE is more likely.

Lotus97

I was reading that if you take B6 at the same time as dopa mucuna it will reduce its effectiveness. Has anyone found this to be true?
Vitamin B6 is in the digestive tract will cause premature synthesis of L-dopa into dopamine so if one is taking any other kind of supplement in their diet that may predispose them to higher levels of B6, the effects of Mucuna Pruriens may be limited or perhaps not noticeable at all.
I found another quote that suggests it might not have to do with the digestive tract like the first quote says, but either way it seems that you should take the dopa mucuna first and the B6 later. Maybe the Dopa first thing in the morning and then the B6 after you eat (?)
I've been advised not to take my B vitamins (namely B6) while I am taking this product- at least not until the L-Dopa has had a chance to cross the blood-brain-barrier (BBB).

heapsreal

i take mucuna(not all the time) in the morning and active b6(p5p) at night, so wouldnt think they would clash.

I have been looking into a med called cycloset which is a dopamine agonist they are using in type 2 diabetics and the nuts and bolts is that it helps correct circadian rhthyms and increase morning cortisol(through a process in the hypothalamus) and this has been improvinge blood sugar levels in diabetic. Im more interested in how it resets the circadian rhthym and sleep up which is being used by a dr jack kruse who is big into this and alot of his stuff on the internet from him. U might be interested in googling cycloset and jack kruse.

cheers!!

heapsreal

Is there a way to prevent dopamine from being converted into norepinephrine?

my understanding is that if u have appropriate cortisol and dopamine levels then one shouldnt make too much noradrenaline or inappropriate amounts. really we dont know how u will react until u try it. serotonin also helps to balance it out. its all a juggling act and about balance, trial and error.