• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BH4 and Folate Questions - Rich? Anyone?

nanonug

Well, both I guess. Is it something where I can alternate daily with taking them together and then taking them apart? Thanks.

What I do is to take the big (5mg) methylfolate dosage early in the morning and the big (5mg) methylcobalamin dosage at noon. But I also take a multivitamin with normal quantities of both methylcobalamin and methylfolate in the morning and at noon. Appears to work for me. Another option, would be to take the big methylfolate dosage at nigh, after dinner, but I haven't tried that yet. I suspect/guess that in this latter case would lead to higher levels of serotonin.

adreno

PR activist
For circadian rhythm purposes, taking methylfolate in the morning makes the most sense, as excitatory neurotransmitter levels are at their highest at this time.

adreno

PR activist
Maybe something like this could work:

Breakfast 5mg methylfolate, 1mg methylcobalamin.
Dinner 5mg methylcobalamin, 1mg methylfolate

Or:
Breakfast 5mg methylfolate, 5mg adenosylcobalamin
Dinner 5mg methylcobalamin, 500mcg methylfolate

Anteah

Hi, I am new and was sort of interested in the same thing - enhancing methylation and BH4. Should I take my Methylb12+Adenosylb12+Methylfolate together in the morning to promote better methylation and say take Methylfolate separate ly in the evening for BH4 support? Or do I need to alternate days?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

What do you guys think about this?

Breakfast: 5 (edited) 4 g methylfolate (5x800 mcg), 10 mg adenosylcobalamin, 1 mg methylcobalamin
Lunch: 5 mg methylcobalamin, 3 mg adenosylcobalamin
Dinner: 800 mcg methylfolate, 5 mg methylcobalamin

Do you think it would help the BH4 process to add niacin at breakfast since it quenches methylation? Please see http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

aquariusgirl

If u r very deficient in BH4 but you have a lot of brain inflammation, do u have to take an anti inflammatory med with it ? I am concerned that the neurological inflammation will fry the BH4 ? Is that a possibility? are there any risks to taking supplemental BH4 if u r v. Deficient in it?
Beyond upsetting neurotransmitter balance?

Leopardtail

If u r very deficient in BH4 but you have a lot of brain inflammation, do u have to take an anti inflammatory med with it ? I am concerned that the neurological inflammation will fry the BH4 ? Is that a possibility? are there any risks to taking supplemental BH4 if u r v. Deficient in it?
Beyond upsetting neurotransmitter balance?
Aquarius,
BH4 improves synthesis of both excitary and calming Neurotransmitters so it seems unlikely, its more likely to balance mood to your current psychological state, you might need to take P5P along with it though. Also take plenty of anti-oxidants (especially Vitamin C) so that the BH4 is used for your intended purpose and not as an anti-oxidant.

Critterina

I are there any risks to taking supplemental BH4 if u r v. Deficient in it?

@aquariusgirl ,
I don't know the whys and wherefores of the chemistry, but I do know that some practitioners warn not to supplement with BH4 until you have good support for the rest of the methylation cycle. I also disagree on other points with some other things these practitioners say, but I give them credit for being right about a lot of things. This may be one - I don't know. I think you take a chance if you supplement with BH4 first. I remember reading about people 'crashing', mostly mood I think, from introducing BH4 too early. At least that was the explanation as I remember, for what it's worth.

Leopardtail

@aquariusgirl ,
I don't know the whys and wherefores of the chemistry, but I do know that some practitioners warn not to supplement with BH4 until you have good support for the rest of the methylation cycle. I also disagree on other points with some other things these practitioners say, but I give them credit for being right about a lot of things. This may be one - I don't know. I think you take a chance if you supplement with BH4 first. I remember reading about people 'crashing', mostly mood I think, from introducing BH4 too early. At least that was the explanation as I remember, for what it's worth.
I am doing active research on BH4, Crit, so if you can give me more information on those who have 'crashed' that would help a lot. Especially how those symptoms changed.

One obvious warning just came to mind, if you are taking anti-depressants (such as SSRI's or Amphetamines) doses may need to be lowered when taking BH4. You would need to consider St John's Wort to be an anti-depressant in that light (it's a Mona Amine Oxidase Inhibitor). But then that's common sense advice do not take two treatments for the same thing without knowing how they interact.

BH4 (along with Vitamin D) plays a role in the immune system as does Dopamine which they both help to produce. When the immune system wakes up it could cause a lot of flu like symptoms, albeit for good reasons. So that's one obvious issue that comes to mind.

In the context of ME it's definitely a more experimental treatment, all treatments have risks, and theoretically there seems to be a lot of positive potential.

Leopardtail

Given that BH4 is a more experimental treatment for ME, it would be helpful if anybody posting questions gave info on their diagnoses, and any other treatments they are taking.