• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protein Shakes - warning, experience

_June

aren't I pretty? *baaah!*
Proprietary non-GMO protein blend (rice protein, pea protein and soy [isolated soy protein and fermented soy]), fructose, maltodextrin, tri-calcium phosphate, natural vanilla flavor, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide, guar gum, psyllium, oat bran, microcrystalline cellulose, spirulina, vitamin C, vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), choline bitartrate, inositol, apple pectin, bee pollen, niacinamide, vitamin A palmitate, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate, ferrous fumarate, calcium pantothenate, lecithin, lemon bioflavonoids, papaya, bromelain, chlorophyll, pyridoxine HCl, riboflavin, thiamine HCl, vitamin B12, vitamin D, folic acid, biotin, potassium iodide, chromium chloride, sodium selenite, sodium molybdate.

I'm sorry, but why would someone take this? Honest question. I'm confused. I mean, why not just eat real food?

taniaaust1

If u can figure out exactly what in it you are reacting to, it would be a very good idea.

Always suspect your supplements if you get worst after taking them. We can react to the simpliest thing. I personally only stay on things if they help me to feel better in some way.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
maryb - have you found any grains you can tolerate? Any kind of breakfast cereal (gluten free) that you can eat? I am suspecting that maybe I can't tolerate oats either I'm gluten free otherwise. Thanks.

Hi Alice - I buy gluten free oats but always feel rough after I've eaten them, I've tried them so many times but have given up now. I eat brown rice, usually cook it myself and used to have that for breakfast, also use to buy the organic puffed rice which was okay, very expensive though and not very filling, so I just eat toast now mainly for breakfast. I keep meaning to try corn, maybe you can tolerate that, always buy the organic though at least you know there'll be no pesticides.

A while ago my son got me some quinoa, I had it once, couldn't make my mind up?? I usually leave it if I'm unsure.
I suppose the bottom line is I just stick to my quite restricted diet especially when I don't feel well, because it doesn't make me feel even more ill. Been quite bad for a while so thats where I'm at, just coming up a bit now though.
I know it is far more sensible to try other things and if I continue to improve I will.

sandgroper

Proprietary non-GMO protein blend (rice protein, pea protein and soy [isolated soy protein and fermented soy]), fructose, maltodextrin, tri-calcium phosphate, natural vanilla flavor, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide, guar gum, psyllium, oat bran, microcrystalline cellulose, spirulina, vitamin C, vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), choline bitartrate, inositol, apple pectin, bee pollen, niacinamide, vitamin A palmitate, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate, ferrous fumarate, calcium pantothenate, lecithin, lemon bioflavonoids, papaya, bromelain, chlorophyll, pyridoxine HCl, riboflavin, thiamine HCl, vitamin B12, vitamin D, folic acid, biotin, potassium iodide, chromium chloride, sodium selenite, sodium molybdate.

I'm sorry, but why would someone take this? Honest question. I'm confused. I mean, why not just eat real food?
Recently i have looked into different protein powders as i am often to ill to prepare meals. Currently i survive because i am getting some help. Every aspect of eating is difficult for me...including finding a protein powder that would suit me and then being able to buy it.

golden

quinoa is fantastic - and an alternative to grain...

i love it....

i have never tried this but my naturopath tells me that soaking grain or nuts overnight is best and aids something or other :)

_June

aren't I pretty? *baaah!*
Recently i have looked into different protein powders as i am often to ill to prepare meals. Currently i survive because i am getting some help. Every aspect of eating is difficult for me...including finding a protein powder that would suit me and then being able to buy it.
Yeah, I've been there too, except I had no help.

It just worry about people drinking shakes, because the synthetic nutrients added to shakes are difficult to absorb by your body compared to natural nutrients. And too many synthetic nutrients can actually hurt you, for example, synthetic iron and folic acid can cause problems, where natural iron and folate (from meat, not the kind from vegetables) would not.

Have you tried drinking cans of coconut milk? It gives you about 900 calories per can and is very filling. The cans can be bought in bulk.

You could also microwave starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes and squashes. I just stick one or two in the microwave and it's ready in 8 to 10 minutes depending how soft you want them. Requires no preparation.

I always make sure to add about 4 tablespoons of butter to each of my microwaved vegetables. So if I eat two sweet potatoes, I get 8 tablespoons of butter. But coconut oil might work too, if you can't eat butter.

This would be a much better alternative to protein powder.

I saw on another thread that you're underweight. This would make you gain weight. You'll get many nutrients and calories like this, and it is easy to eat if you microwave until very soft (I have problems swallowing)

What does your help do?
It should be easy to make a big pot of soup that will last a person one week, and keep it in the fridge in individual containers. Then each container can be microwaved.
Just make sure to add lots of fat to the soup so you get plenty of calories. For example, a squash soup can have coconut milk and butter added.

Beef shoulder is very tender and easy to eat. You don't even need a fork to slice the meat, you touch it with your finger and it just falls apart :)
It's very tasty, very nutritious, easy to cook and easy to reheat in the microwave, with some butter and/or chicken broth to make sure it doesn't get too dry.
The person who helps you could cook you 3 beef pot roasts per week and separate it into individual serving containers.

So here's a sample day, easy to eat, and many calories so you gain weight:
(if you can't eat butter, you can try ghee which is butter without milk solids. Or you could try coconut oil. )

Mashed potatoes.
one potato, one sweet potato, 8 tablespoons of butter, and chicken broth to cook with, instead of water.

Beef shoulder pot roast, 2 tablespoons of butter, including the beef juices;
Baby carrots (cooked ahead like the rest of the food), 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup of chicken broth to cook them with (the carrots will absorb it).

Coconut milk and frozen fruit milkshake (for example, frozen strawberries). It comes to room temperature when you shake.
(Your helper should blend everything and place into individual containers.Then you just shake and drink, or scoop with a spoon like a dessert)

The total: atleast 2,800 calories, and a ton of nutrients ;)

You could also buy canned fish (like smoked kipper snacks or sardines), to balance out your nutrients. It's cheap to buy in bulk and very nutritious. It's soft and easy to eat. You can keep them by your bed or couch and just open as you get hungry.

sandgroper

thanks for all the replies....the problem arose because i lost my main helper and was caught out with few supplies....I did manage to get by without having to use a shake but the reality is I cannot always get food, so i wanted a standby... i can only tolerate a certain amount of coconut milk ( it is a good suggestion).

My attempt at ordering food on-line failed today. I will have another attempt though. So far i have not replaced the help i lost.....and am looking at all the alternative way to get my needs met without being dependent on others so much.

i have managed to keep the weight on and maybe i have put on a little....nutrition wise i prefer real and fresh food but sometimes its just not been here......i do keep coconut oil and rice on hand