• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it okay to take B12 before HDRI methylation panel?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Just wondering if it's a bad idea to take any B12 on the days before the blood draw for this test? I also take tryptophan for sleep each night.

Would taking these affect the results?

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
I asked the same question in about April of last year and I think both Freddd and Rich said that it shouldn't matter - that methylation protocols are a very long term process and whatever B12 you're currently taking won't matter. The test doesn't measure B12 levels, just glutathione and other end-products of a functioning methylation cycle.

Hope that helps. I tried to find the thread where I asked that question, but it didn't come up.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Thanks Patrick*, and btw who did you get to draw your blood for this test?

Funny you ask because I had also posted a thread seeking advice about this (and again, I can't find it). Sushi was particularly helpful. But the answer is: my local hospital. It's very difficult to get commercial labs to do it (like Quest) as most have a policy where they won't draw blood and hand it over to you OR mail it someplace other than their own labs. But most hospitals have labs that will draw blood and ship it off for you.

Someone mentioned that you want to get the blood drawn as close as possible to the lab's FedEx pickup time, so the blood is not sitting around. You can call and find out when their pick up time is.

Edit: Found the thread here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...health-diagnostics-practical-questions.16124/

Just wondering if it's a bad idea to take any B12 on the days before the blood draw for this test? I also take tryptophan for sleep each night.

Would taking these affect the results?
The actual form that comes with the test kit says you should be off all supplements for 2 days before the test. I had to reschedule my tests last week because the doctors office had forgotten to tell me this.