• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protein Shakes - warning, experience

roxie60

Starting this thread for those who are adding protein shakes to their protocol. Would like this to be a discussion that may warn / educate others on the personal experience of those who have determined / suspect their protein shake may not be helping and in some cases may be harming them.

roxie60

Thinking about making a separate thread for this 'protein shake' stuff but wanted to let you all know I tried the 'healthy protein shake' again this past week (guess I was not fully convinced it was not something else that impaired me back in January). I have had a rough week, not much sleep, very down so when I could not sleep this past Thurs night I got up at 3AM and mixed the 'shake' - Nature's Plus Spriu-tein Vanilla with dribose, lglutamine, fishoil and almond milk. I was bedridden for the day (it was sleep but not restorative). I started being able to function at low level about 3PM and more functional by 6PM Friday night (12-14 hrs of impairment).

I get upset reading the marketing for this shake indicating there are no side affects, WRONG!!!! I have no doubt this protein shake has something in it that is extremely impairing. I am doing a bit better compared to last 18 months (about 50-60% functioning) but wonder if the symps that remain might be due to long term damage of taking 'stuff' I did not know was harming me. If anyone has a capture of the ingredients of this particular shake please post so others might benefit. I am so warn out from battling my body, I am sad to think that most of the problems of the past 10 months might have been due to taking things that were suppose to help. My confidence is shot.

Anyway, anyone who is trying a protein shake as part of their protocol and having symps like the following you might want to consider temporarily removing the protein shake ( I realize these symps are ones we can have even without the shake but I think I might have improved faster if I just let myself got through the valley of illness. Treating the symps has caused me more grief at least that is my mindset currently):

Constant muscle tingling/twitching/spasms
Brain fog (happens to me usually within 30-60 mins of taking shake)
Extreme fatigue (the kind you have to lay down or you will fall down)
Sleepyness
Difficulty making body function (walking, balance)
Cognitive impairment (memory, focus, difficulty reading)

Good luck from Canary (might make that my new handle), be careful.

Anyone else found you react to protien shakes. Will try to post a 'contents' picture as soon as I or someone else finds one for my shake. I still do not know for sure what in the shake is causing such extreme impariment.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Roxie what you describe for me anyway is a typical reaction to foodstuffs I am intolerant to, its a terrible feeling and I agree if people don't connect the two then they will deteriorate.
My diet is very simple - even more simple if I'm not up to food preparation, on those days its just gluten free toast and bottled water!! I look upon it as giving my digestion a rest though.
People need to take care with any packaged foodstuffs - could be anything in it that will cause the reaction.
Hard though it is I stay away from all of it.
I rarely take combined supplements either , try to do them individually if possible, only way to gauge responses.
Good idea to warn others though.

roxie60

I am learning hard lessons that looks like you have already learned. I am going to try and make my first homemade gluten free bread this evening. This has really been hard for me at my age to give up so many foods I have grown accustom to eating. But I have to or continue feeling sick.....I only take vit D3 and MB12 and occasionally CoQ10 but I'm even suspicious of that one. I am getting back to what I was (about 50-60% functioning) but amazed at how bad one can feel if ingest the 'wrong' thing even if you cant figure out what is was. Side benefit? losing weight.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi,

I agree with maryb. If you want to try something like a protein shake--don't buy a preformulated one--make your own with ingredients you have tested and know you tolerate and with amounts of ingredients you have seen in the past that you can handle.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Roxie I've just stopped taking ubiquione (coq10) I suspected it wasn't helping me, am beginning to slowly move up the functioning scale after stopping it a couple of weeks ago. I think some things work synergistically and on their own do nothing or worse.

ps good luck with the gluten free bread - now if I can get a yeast,sugar,dairy,egg, gluten free recipe I may just go for it:)

roxie60

see I'm still struggling to put all the issues together and 'deal' with them. I am also suppose to stay away from dairy and eggs. Yeast??? what is that made of? something else to look into. Thought I would try one loaf and see how I do....

thanks for the comments all!!!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Roxie - I've been tested and show all these intolerances as well as others. Don't just try cutting loads of stuff out of your diet.
If you want to go down this route on your own the best way is to eliminate one foodstuff at a time, gluten is a biggie and in practically everything, you have to become your own food detective but it can be done trust me. It takes time and you may not feel the benefits or indeed any for a while if its not a problem. I would give it 3 months to see.
People make the mistake of eliminating gluten partly - in my view this doesn't work it has to be all or nothing.
eg. I have gluten free oats but I can't tolerate them, its either the oats or some gluten still in them. I love oats but they are a big no no..

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Its good unless you have an intolerance to peas:) guess who has?

Eaten with rice, pea protein makes a complete protein for a meal - so its good if you tolerate it okay.

L'engle

moogle
I think spirulina can be difficult to tolerate in anything but small amounts. I'm doing alright with hemp protein. It is so hard to find the right foods. Not only are there the intolerances, but we also can't eat thngs unless the energy they give us outweighs the energy consumed in preparing and digesting. Not easy!

golden

Its good unless you have an intolerance to peas:) guess who has?

Eaten with rice, pea protein makes a complete protein for a meal - so its good if you tolerate it okay.

Oh No!! :(

I have never heard of that...

Its good to know eating it with rice equals complete protein

golden

I think spirulina can be difficult to tolerate in anything but small amounts. I'm doing alright with hemp protein. It is so hard to find the right foods. Not only are there the intolerances, but we also can't eat thngs unless the energy they give us outweighs the energy consumed in preparing and digesting. Not easy!

I have spirulina on my list

Oh and hemp seeds are delicious I love them, they might just be my favourite food :)

maddietod

I do well with pea and rice proteins, but even a tiny bit of hemp makes me violently ill. I rarely use soy products, avoid dairy, and cocoa gives me IBS but chocolate is OK. It's very confusing!

So I agree - test the individual components of shakes. I just make my own.

antherder

I tried protein drinks too, but they made me feel worse. And the formula was a very basic (soy) one.

I think I read that peas are high in copper, so that could be worth considering if you can't tolerate pea based drinks.

Nielk

Roxie,

I see your protein is made with almond milk. Do you usually drink almond milk? I am personally allergic to almonds.

alice

Roxie - I've been tested and show all these intolerances as well as others. Don't just try cutting loads of stuff out of your diet.
If you want to go down this route on your own the best way is to eliminate one foodstuff at a time, gluten is a biggie and in practically everything, you have to become your own food detective but it can be done trust me. It takes time and you may not feel the benefits or indeed any for a while if its not a problem. I would give it 3 months to see.
People make the mistake of eliminating gluten partly - in my view this doesn't work it has to be all or nothing.
eg. I have gluten free oats but I can't tolerate them, its either the oats or some gluten still in them. I love oats but they are a big no no..

maryb - have you found any grains you can tolerate? Any kind of breakfast cereal (gluten free) that you can eat? I am suspecting that maybe I can't tolerate oats either I'm gluten free otherwise. Thanks.