• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hookworms: Our Friends?

dannybex

I found a very interesting interview by author Thom Hartmann where he talks about how many people are now intentionally putting hookworms into their bodies to cure diseases like asthma, Crohn's disease and multiple sclerosis.

And there are quite a few studies to back this up. They're all pdf files however, so not sure how to post them.

Anyway, here's the link to the interview:

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=18121

And another link to a report of how the little guys are helping people w/Crohn's:

http://cbs5.com/health/hookworm.treatment.therapy.2.1016319.html

COULD THEY HELP THOSE OF US w/CFS/Fibro, etc.?

Not sure, but this quote is intriguing:

"In order to live as a parasite inside the human, the parasite must convince the host's immune system to chill and not try to reject it. With hookworms, they secrete a chemical that distracts the immune system, dampening down its response."

Does that mean a th1-th2 shift, or vice versa?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
This article was just published in a pretty popular magazine, and I can't remember the name for nothing. It's popular in most of the health food markets and the name should have stuck because it is a very unique name.
This guy is growing his own worms to intoduce into his body because they only live so long and when they start dying off his asthma returns. He knows exactly how many he needs to give himself each time because if it's too little then it doesn't work and if it's too much and the worms themselves become the problem within his digestive tract.
This guy flies to Camaroon, Africa just to walk around in local latrines (or linear ditches with the brush cleared away to discourage tick attachmnets) for two weeks.
I was just blown away by this article, just because it was so far out there. And the good results although for his asthma has implications for other diseases that gets close to people with CFS\ME\CFIDS.

So many of us have trouble with food intolerances, and I personally had a bad reaction to a commercial beefburger earlier today with high palpitations followed by strong drowsiness for a couple of hours and some stomach pain. Anyway, according to this article, autoimmune conditions could potentially be treated with the use of hookworms, little parasitic nematodes which may have a case for being termed "symbionts" due to their ability to suppress the immune reaction. Please read:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/68701/title/Worming_Your_Way_to_Better_Health

Back in the bad old Stone Age, humans had to put up with all sorts of creepy crawlies. Parasites ran amok in people’s innards, freeloading on nutrient supplies. The parasites took a toll, but over the millennia, those that killed off their meal ticket too quickly didn’t make it. The survivors of this evolutionary shakeout include parasitic roundworms and flatworms, hitchhikers that allow their human host to live on — and to provide three hots and a cot....

While this scenario might appear to be win-lose, with humans the clear losers, research now suggests that may not be the whole story. In their drive to make humans hospitable hosts, parasites have developed the ability to suppress inflammation aimed against them. And this, it turns out, isn’t necessarily a bad thing

golden

I was going to make a post a few days ago called 'the blessings of candida and worms' lol

I read a theory that because of toxins in the body, particularly heavy metals, the body activates Candida which is very good at eating the toxins up.

Then, due to an overgrowth of Candida, the body activates worms in the body which are very good at eatinv up Candida....

When homeostasis has been established, the body is very gpod at expelling the worms :)

I wouldnt like to deliberatly introduce worms to my body though lol :)

JenB

I think you get to a point, though, if you are sick enough for a long enough, where you are willing to try anything, willies be damned.

xks201

Trust me you do not want worms. Worms are probably causing majority of the CFS epidemic. They multiple like crazy, leech your food and blood, and trigger unwanted immune reactions. I'd much rather take an inhaler than infect myself with something that will most likely make me weak and anemic.

antherder

I think you get to a point, though, if you are sick enough for a long enough, where you are willing to try anything, willies be damned.

I'm there. Somebody give me some wrigglers. I'm guessing they probably don't sell them at iherb though...yet....

I saw a doco about this years ago, apologies as I can't remember what it was called, but the studies were being done by some NZ researchers. It was fascinating, and also deeply disturbing.