• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EU set to impose a Europe-wide ban on mercury amalgam fillings

snowathlete

Well that settles it then, the UK really will pull out of Europe. Reminds me that I need to book an appointment with a private dentist to get my teeth sorted.

SilverbladeTE

about damn time!
anyone who thinks putting mercury in folk's teeth is safe, should get an amalgam "Prince Albert" or such! :p

basic, real "common sense":
mercury is highly poisonous, if you put it in folk's food or drink, you'd go to jail
yet it's somehow ok to put it in teeth?!

"But OOOOOH we're DENTISTS, we wear WHITE COATS so it's all PERFECTLY SAFE, BECAUSE WE SAY SO!"
*he says like Kenny Everett doing Cupid Stunt* :p

Great! But still mercury is almost everywhere these days. Tuna which I've eaten almost every day, in smoke gushing out of coal power plants, chinese products, thermometers for measuring fever which I've broken many in my life not being aware those tiny bubbles of mercury are dangerous...

golden

Sweden, Denmark and Norway(not in EU) had already individually chosen to blanket ban mercury in fillings in 2008!

Austria and German dentists dont use it with children, pregnant women and people with kidney problems.

I know of several books linking M.E. to mercury poisoning so its very interesting. The usual denials and false re-assurances have been in place that its perfectly safe and any 'perceived' side effects are 'all in the head'.

golden

Great! But still mercury is almost everywhere these days. Tuna which I've eaten almost every day, in smoke gushing out of coal power plants, chinese products, thermometers for measuring fever which I've broken many in my life not being aware those tiny bubbles of mercury are dangerous...

The European Commission's BIO Intelligence Service (BIS) states that dental amalgm:

"can cause allergies and may increase the risk of neurological diseases, kidney diseases, autism, autoimmune diseases and birth defects".

It acknowledges the levels of mercurg we eat in fish and the environment , however the report states:

dental amalgam is by far the main source" of total mercury burden.

It states this has been proven via autopsy reports which have up to 12x more mercury in the body tissues of people with dental amalgam.

Also Europe is banning the use of Mercury in batteries by 2020.

peggy-sue

There isn't, to my knowledge, a disproportionate number of dentists or dental nurses who have ME - and they're exposed to huge amounts of it, not only in their own teeth, but while making the amalgam many times daily.

If mercury was a cause of ME, there would be a hugely disproportionate number of dentists, dental nurses and dental assistants who would have it.

golden

There isn't, to my knowledge, a disproportionate number of dentists or dental nurses who have ME - and they're exposed to huge amounts of it, not only in their own teeth, but while making the amalgam many times daily.

If mercury was a cause of ME, there would be a hugely disproportionate number of dentists, dental nurses and dental assistants who would have it.

yes, i see what you mean.

Alison Adams was a dentist who got M.E. and has written books about this. I suspect she will have addressed this point somewhere but i can't because I don't know.

SilverbladeTE

But, they willl not be looking for such issues, Peggy-Sue...
because the dental "trade" (it's a trade not a medicla profession per se for most they aren't MDs) doesn't want ot admit any issues with amalgam

and funny thing is while ago was tlaking to my dentist who is....nice guy but his practice is not very...well off/doesn't have latest stuff (hey we're poor folks here)...well he said he'd lots of patients with M.E.

peggy-sue

Medical and dental schools are generally lumped together at uni, Silverblade - dentist don't take the honourary title of "doctor" that medics do though. (real doctors are PhDs)
I consider dentistry to be a profession, but I'm biased because both my parents were dentists, and my Dad was somebody who truly believed in the NHS being a top-quality service for all - but then, he was there right at the start, long before big business and private "enterprise" ruled the world.
Maybe they don't want to consider issues with amalgam - but I still reckon that they will be the ones exposed to more of it than anybody else via their practice.
And forums are far more full of gps with ME than dentists with ME. (personal observation;) )

caledonia

If your body is already burdened with toxins, viruses or stress, mercury can be one of the "last straws" that make you sick. So it can be an apparent cause for some people. But the actual cause is poor methylation.

I think if you checked a list of the health problems of dentists and a list of health problems caused by mercury, it would be very enlightening.

Waverunner

Mercury is a poison but you made a good point. Another fact is, that Japanese people have the highest mercury consumption in the world, because they eat lots of mercury containing fish. However, Japanese people don't have higher CFS rates.

golden

http://www.thenaturalrecoveryplan.com/FAQ.html

I have been researching a little more.

If you go through this link - about three quarters of the way down is a section in red called:

what evidence do you have to support your assertation?

There are some good reference articles here but also there is a link called:

Health effects on Dental Personnel of exposure to Mercury Vapour.

Dentists in the front line are exposed to 400x the safe working levels of Mercury (TLV as determined by the WHO) and their health record is very poor.

Compared to the general population they have 7x suicide rate, 2x brain tumours, 3.5 x miscarriage and still birth and more kidney, heart and lung disease etc.

Alison Adams does two things. She classes Fatigue Related Syndromes - M.E., C.F.S., fibromyalgia, autoimmune etc together as being slightly different manifestations of a common cause - Mercury poisoning.

Now, I have sourced a holistic dentist with outstanding reputation - i am just far too scared to go! lol :)

Mercury is a poison but you made a good point. Another fact is, that Japanese people have the highest mercury consumption in the world, because they eat lots of mercury containing fish. However, Japanese people don't have higher CFS rates.

They probably don't get amalgams or not as many. Also they have a better and different diet. They eat a lot of seaweed, chlorella, green tea, etc.

PhoenixBurger

Alert alert!

If you get your mercury removed, make sure you find a dentist that will replace with BPA Free fillings. You very well could end up with the standard BPA laced fillings instead of mercury, and swap one toxin for a new one. There are BPA Free fillings out there. Just make sure you find them.

VERY IMPORTANT!

golden

Alert alert!

If you get your mercury removed, make sure you find a dentist that will replace with BPA Free fillings. You very well could end up with the standard BPA laced fillings instead of mercury, and swap one toxin for a new one. There are BPA Free fillings out there. Just make sure you find them.

VERY IMPORTANT!

Thank you.

I am mailing the dentist now. Nothing is straight forward is it!

I am also going to ask if a thermography would be accepted instead of an x-ray

golden

The holistic dentist I found IS BPA free and endeavours to utilise the best products to support health in his practice.

Thanks again for the alert.