• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good yoga book for mostly supine rehab & stretching?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'd like to try some gentle stretches and possibly very, very gentle strengthening exercises that don't involve standing or raising my arms (because of my orthostatic intolerance).

I think yoga might be good for this.

I'm interested in a book rather than a DVD because I can't play US DVDs on my UK DVD player and, having looked into this before, there don't seem to be any appropriate UK DVDs on this topic. I'm not well enough to attend a class.

Any recommendations?

Hi Sasha
I actually joined the forums just so I could respond to this post. I've started doing Restorative Yoga (as recommend by a friend of mine who also has an auto immune condition). I find it fantastic. Poses can be held, supported, anywhere from 50-20 minutes so there is no lactic acid formation and thus (shouldn't) create post exertional malaise.

I recently purchased a book via the bookrepositry Relax and Renew by Judith Hanson Lasater Ph.D., P.T. It's a great book, really wonderful layout and descriptions, photos, setup and equipment. I highly recommend it.

I also found a few videos on youtube by searching for "Restorative Yoga"

As a side note, if you a dvd player on your computer then instal VLC and you can play DVD's from any country.

Good luck

SOC

This is not yoga, but includes the supine exercises given to me by Dr Klimas' exercise physiologist. I still have trouble with yoga.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Sasha
I actually joined the forums just so I could respond to this post. I've started doing Restorative Yoga (as recommend by a friend of mine who also has an auto immune condition). I find it fantastic. Poses can be held, supported, anywhere from 50-20 minutes so there is no lactic acid formation and thus (shouldn't) create post exertional malaise.

I recently purchased a book via the bookrepositry Relax and Renew by Judith Hanson Lasater Ph.D., P.T. It's a great book, really wonderful layout and descriptions, photos, setup and equipment. I highly recommend it.

I also found a few videos on youtube by searching for "Restorative Yoga"

As a side note, if you a dvd player on your computer then instal VLC and you can play DVD's from any country.

Good luck

That was really kind of you, mrs_took! Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forums. :)

That book looks very interesting - more on the relaxing than stretch/strengthen side, maybe, but perhaps I should be doing that as well!

That's very useful about the DVDs - I didn't know that! :thumbsup:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
There is an old video of Rodney Yee's called Yoga Remedies for Natural Healing. I don't know if it's still available. At least 2 of the segments are done while lying down, using pillows and a chair or a wall.

He also has a really great DVD called Relaxation and Breathing for Meditation. I use the breathing exercises whenever I am stressed or overly wired. They can be very helpful.

I don't know of any books.