• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Auditory Hallucinations

Yocheved

Spoonless In Seattle
I've had high pitched tinnitus for several years, probably due to all the rock concerts in my youth. Just this year, I have a new one which is lower pitched and sounds like a loud fan or a leaf blower. Both are annoying, but I can deal with it.

Tonight, I've got a new one. I put my daughter to bed, and I was sure I could hear her video game playing in the living room. I've told her a million times to turn if off when she's done, but she likes the tinkly music. :rolleyes: I went into the living room to turn off the computer, and it was already completely shut down. :thumbdown:

A few hours later, I was in the bathroom, and I was sure I heard some lovely chamber music playing in the next room. I left the bathroom and searched the house, but all the radios, CD players, DVD, videos and TVs are turned off. Every time I hear something, it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else, and when I go to where I was sure I heard it, it's not there, and I stop hearing it! :confused:

Either I am going insane, I have a new ME symptom that we can add to the list, I'm having a pre-migraine event, (or G-d forbid, a brain tumor.) :ill:

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Sparrow

I've had that too. For me, I think it's related to the hearing loss I've had, and the significant tinnitus. My ears spend a lot of time taking what I perceive to be white noise and trying to make logical sense of it, and turning it into something real. Like when I'm watching TV, and I can't actually hear what the people are saying. I instead hear a slightly garbled version of white noise conversation, and it's up to my brain to make that into dialogue. It works hard at doing that, all the time, and has gotten pretty good at it.

So sometimes now, when I what I'm hearing is actually white noise (like a bathroom fan, or something), my brain will automatically be trying to make sense of it. And often it turns it into music. I had bathroom fan rock music going once. Super bizarre. It's a really weird sensation, and occasionally disturbing, but I'm adjusting to it. I have been screened for brain tumors so apparently it's not that (at least for me!).

Sparrow

I have stuff like that happen from time to time. Sometimes it sounds like music, sometimes like people talking, all kind of in the distance, like it's from the next room. It happens when it's quiet. I don't have tinnitus.

That is SO weird. I always just assumed it must be related to my hearing issues. That's suddenly much, much weirder if it's not.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've had high pitched tinnitus for several years, probably due to all the rock concerts in my youth. Just this year, I have a new one which is lower pitched and sounds like a loud fan or a leaf blower. Both are annoying, but I can deal with it.

Tonight, I've got a new one. I put my daughter to bed, and I was sure I could hear her video game playing in the living room. I've told her a million times to turn if off when she's done, but she likes the tinkly music. :rolleyes: I went into the living room to turn off the computer, and it was already completely shut down. :thumbdown:

A few hours later, I was in the bathroom, and I was sure I heard some lovely chamber music playing in the next room. I left the bathroom and searched the house, but all the radios, CD players, DVD, videos and TVs are turned off. Every time I hear something, it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else, and when I go to where I was sure I heard it, it's not there, and I stop hearing it! :confused:

Either I am going insane, I have a new ME symptom that we can add to the list, I'm having a pre-migraine event, (or G-d forbid, a brain tumor.) :ill:

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Funny question: Do you wear glasses? I have picked up radio stations through metal framed glasses occasionally-- and no, I'm not nuts! :confused: It has been reported by others. Some even picked them up through metal fillings!

Weird, but better than insanity or a brain tumor!

Sushi

Yocheved

Spoonless In Seattle
I've had that too. For me, I think it's related to the hearing loss I've had, and the significant tinnitus. My ears spend a lot of time taking what I perceive to be white noise and trying to make logical sense of it, and turning it into something real. Like when I'm watching TV, and I can't actually hear what the people are saying. I instead hear a slightly garbled version of white noise conversation, and it's up to my brain to make that into dialogue. It works hard at doing that, all the time, and has gotten pretty good at it.

So sometimes now, when I what I'm hearing is actually white noise (like a bathroom fan, or something), my brain will automatically be trying to make sense of it. And often it turns it into music. I had bathroom fan rock music going once. Super bizarre. It's a really weird sensation, and occasionally disturbing, but I'm adjusting to it. I have been screened for brain tumors so apparently it's not that (at least for me!).

Thanks Sparrow, that makes tons of sense! To me, it feels like when someone takes your picture with a flash, you see that bright spot for a long time afterward - except this is with sound.

Sushi, yes, I do wear metal framed glasses! :nerd: At this point, I'm just grateful that I don't hear anything unpleasant or scary.

The only time this has happened before was when I was 12, and I had a bad sinus infection with a major headache. I was hallucinating sounds like WHOA! and my parents rushed me to the emergency room. I don't even remember what happened after that because they had to sedate me to get an MRI and CAT scan.

This time, there's no sinus pain or headache, and I'm not in a particularly bad relapse, so it was really right out of the blue. I hate being an "interesting case", don't you? :alien:

Yocheved

Spoonless In Seattle
Well, I didn't get one second of sleep last night. I had a very lively violin concerto playing in my head. I really hope this doesn't get to be a pattern. At least my brain knows I like classical music, but couldn't it play something more soothing?

My kingdom for a nap!

caledonia

I wear metal framed glasses as well.

One other thought - I had very bad SSRI withdrawal symptoms last year. During that time, I was seeing and hearing things that weren't really there. I was in a state of very high agitation with all my senses amped up beyond belief.

So maybe this goes in with our sensory issues, but just at a calmer level than that horrible withdrawal state.

Sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye, like there might be somebody standing there in the next room. This is generally at night when I'm watching tv and have most of the lights out in the house.

Here's one thing you can try - when I was so amped up, the supplement Neuromedulla Complex by Professional Health Products really helped settle the sensory stuff down.

Shoesies

Well I'll be. I suppose I am not crazy and I can actually tell another soul. I have extraordinary hearing. My family jokes about it. I can hear people talking outside my house through the bathroom fan which is vented to the outside, I can tell you what they are saying. However, when I have not slept (which is all the time lately) I hear music...beautiful music. At times with more parts playing than humanly possible. I have never told a soul because I did not care to be labeled coocoo for cocopuffs. Oh and caledonia I have that shadow out of the corner of my eye thing too, only when I haven't slept for days. I thought it was normal for sleep deprivation.

Yocheved

Spoonless In Seattle
Well I'll be. I suppose I am not crazy and I can actually tell another soul. I have extraordinary hearing. My family jokes about it. I can hear people talking outside my house through the bathroom fan which is vented to the outside, I can tell you what they are saying. However, when I have not slept (which is all the time lately) I hear music...beautiful music. At times with more parts playing than humanly possible. I have never told a soul because I did not care to be labeled coocoo for cocopuffs. Oh and caledonia I have that shadow out of the corner of my eye thing too, only when I haven't slept for days. I thought it was normal for sleep deprivation.
:hug:

I have mid-range hearing loss, but my brain has compensated by making me extremely aware of high pitched and very low pitched sounds. I can hear a clock ticking from anywhere in the house, but I can't understand a word that men say to me unless I can lipread them. To me, all guys sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. "Blah blah wah wah ha, blah blah." On the other hand, a bird outside my window can drive me mad!

I finally drugged myself to sleep today, but as I was laying down waiting for the drugs to kick in, I started hearing the ballroom scene from Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet." I closed my eyes and imagined the ballet going on in front of me, and that helped. It's like I've got that old game show "Name that Tune" playing in my brain!

When I'm really overtired and sleep deprived, I often see dark, ominous shadows in the corners of the room, where no shadows should be. Creeeeeepy. :eek: I'd much rather just have random music, thank you!

Shoesies

:hug:

I have mid-range hearing loss, but my brain has compensated by making me extremely aware of high pitched and very low pitched sounds. I can hear a clock ticking from anywhere in the house, but I can't understand a word that men say to me unless I can lipread them. To me, all guys sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. "Blah blah wah wah ha, blah blah." On the other hand, a bird outside my window can drive me mad!

I finally drugged myself to sleep today, but as I was laying down waiting for the drugs to kick in, I started hearing the ballroom scene from Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet." I closed my eyes and imagined the ballet going on in front of me, and that helped. It's like I've got that old game show "Name that Tune" playing in my brain!

When I'm really overtired and sleep deprived, I often see dark, ominous shadows in the corners of the room, where no shadows should be. Creeeeeepy. :eek: I'd much rather just have random music, thank you!

Me too, I would rather have the music. I have the high pitched noise issue and ceiling fan motors annoy me, basically any motor. Clocks tick, the house creaks and ceiling fans motors bother me. The dogs nails on the hardwood floors...yep, kills me. I am some kinda weird..it helped me for you all to share your stories. Thanks.

caledonia

The Neuromedulla Complex works great for the noise sensitivity. It just won't be irritating any more.

When I had the SSRI withdrawal, it caused something called hyperacusis. Like you were saying - motors were especially annoying. I could hear lawn mowers way down the block with the windows closed and earplugs in. It about drove me mad. Airplanes going overhead - same deal.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have had tinnitus for years. I was checked for a brain tumor at the onset.

I do sometimes 'hear things'. Most common is the telephone ringing. It can be either the land line or cell phone. If it is the cell phone, it may not make it through one 'ring'. It is never more than one ring for either.

I used to sometimes think I heard my mother calling my name, but I don't think that has happened in a while.

I think @Sparrow's theory of the brain trying to make sense of the noise it is receiving is a good one. I have never had anything that lasted very long, like music. My brain seems to figure out that there is nothing there pretty quickly.

Yocheved

Spoonless In Seattle
Me too, I would rather have the music. I have the high pitched noise issue and ceiling fan motors annoy me, basically any motor. Clocks tick, the house creaks and ceiling fans motors bother me. The dogs nails on the hardwood floors...yep, kills me. I am some kinda weird..it helped me for you all to share your stories. Thanks.
Dog toenails, ACK! I have a 13 year old pug, and sometimes she paces in the middle of the night. Drives me INSANE!

Yocheved

Spoonless In Seattle
Oh my...someone who understands. :hug:
:hug: I totally get it!

Yesterday morning, the house next door was getting all of the carpets shampoo'd by an industrial cleaning company. It could not have been more horrific if they'd been busting up concrete with a jackhammer, and it went on for HOURS!

That house is right next to my bedroom window, and I couldn't escape. :mad: I seriously thought I was going to die.

taniaaust1

Yesterday morning, the house next door was getting all of the carpets shampoo'd by an industrial cleaning company. It could not have been more horrific if they'd been busting up concrete with a jackhammer, and it went on for HOURS!

That house is right next to my bedroom window, and I couldn't escape. :mad: I seriously thought I was going to die.

I used to like that with lawn mowers, even if they were way down the road. I had occassions when those lawn mowers sent me into tremors and spasms.... almost seizures.

Thank God that I dont have the noise sensitivity now that I used to get (thou still just slightly)

Shoesies

I remember when I lived in SFL...the neighbors house was right at my bedroom window too. ARGH. Thank God I moved and have three acres between myself and the neighbor. Still not enough for the noise issue though. I can hear every word they say to each other in the yard.