• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Methylation SNPs - your help greatly appreciated!

xjhuez

Hi all.

Like a lot of you I've been struggling with various mental and physical issues for a long time, and after much reading on this site and others I decided to use 23&me to identify my SNPs. Hopefully this will help me decide on a successful course of action instead of fumbling around in the dark.

I know only a little about methylation, but right away I saw that I was +/- at MTHFR C677T. Not terrible news, but likely indicating a compromised methylation pathway.

As you can see I'm +/- VDR Bsm & Taq and at two of the CBS genes, as well.

Also +/+ at three of the four BHMT genes is troubling.

As of now I'm considering beginning a protocol of subliminal methylcobalamin followed shortly by metafolin. I'm also going to get my blood tested for homocysteine to get a baseline number.

If anyone has anything pertinent to add I'd greatly appreciate it!

MethylationAnalysis.png

xjhuez

If you have any problems tolerating the methyl donors (mB12 and mfolate), such as an stress/anxiety response, then CBS is likely expressed. You'll have to go back and address that first.

Heartfixer has a good summary of what to do about CBS. http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Hi caledonia,

I took 1000mcg sub-lingual mB12 yesterday and I felt pretty good. Nothing magical, but definitely no negative reaction. I might ramp it up either the dose or the frequency if the next few days go well.

No mfolate yet - I found Solgar's Metafolin here locally but unfortunately it contains mannitol, and mannitol and I don't get along very well.

Thanks for the heartfixer link. Great info, but confusing on first read. I guess less confusing and just a lot to digest.

xjhuez

Hi there! Could you please expand on these issues a bit for us?

Hi Lauriel,

Physical issues - General low energy and I fatigue easily. I refuse to give in to whatever's wrong with me and be sedentary, and I've found that I do better on HITT type routines, as anything that requires my body to sustain energy output over time (running, treadmill) is too difficult.

I took up lifting weights and discovered that, despite working out and eating right, I have a hard time building muscle. Also, when I stop lifting I incur rapid muscle catabolism. I've always been thin with a "fast" metabolism, but it's odd the way my body takes me back to skin n bones as fast as it can. Seems like an endocrine issue - possibly low test or high cortisol (or both).

I have hypoglycemia that I control via diet.

As far as mental issues.. I have a laundry list. Avolition, social withdrawal, anxiety, mild OCD, etc.

I have excitotoxicity issues with glutamate/NMDA. I definitely know when I've eaten something containing MSG. I had to stop taking protein powder because it contains too much free glutamate.

Insomnia. I fall asleep just fine, but suffer from multiple awakenings during the night. Anything and everything wakes me up, and I very rarely wake feeling rested.

xjhuez

Several days in on the sub-lingual mb12 and feeling pretty good, no issues yet.

It took a few days for the mB12 to hit me.

What should I expect if/when it hits me?

Also after further reading on Freddd's protocol I'm wondering if Dibencoplex would help my muscle issues.

Also, I noticed that NAC is discouraged because it turns mb12 into "glutathionylb12" which is bad. Hmm. I've been using NAC to raise glutathione..

Also apparently I should take potassium.

xjhuez

So far so good with mb12. Morning urine is pinkish, so it's not all being used, but I guess this is normal. Introducing mfolate next week.

Updated this image after reading genetic gene and heartfixer. Will probably need to read them again - info overload.

MethylationAnalysis2.png