• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Molybdenum deficiency

UM MAN

In looking at the CBS (transsulfuration pathway), I see molybdenum(Mo) noted.
Since I pee out 4 times as much sulfate as someone without a CBS mutation, I was
wondering if anyone knew how much more Mo is required? From time to time I have
become sensitive to phenols(high ORAC foods),and I was also wondering if low Mo could
have impacted my PST. Has any CBSers quantified their Mo needs? and did you also suspect
a PST level problem?

Lynn_M

UM MAN,
I'm ++ for CBS A360A, I get readings of >1600 on my sulfate test strips, and a 2001 hair analysis by Trace Elements showed I was very low in molybdenum. Since my molybdenum level was so much lower than any other mineral tested, I always puzzled about why that was, until I got my 23andMe results back this fall and then read about the CBS and molybdenum connection at the heartfixer website and also in the CBS chapter in Amy Yasko's book, Autism: Pathways to Recovery, now available as a free download from her website.

I don't know what PST is - does it have something to do with phenol sensitivity?

As far as quantifying how much molybdenum to take, in her CBS chapter Amy recommends doing urinary amino acid tests (UAA) and then supplementing whatever amount it takes to get the taurine level to <50% on the UAA. And then follow-up testing every 2-3 months. If I remember right, she uses Doctor's Data for the UAA tests. For people without a prescription, that same test can be ordered through DirectLabs for $299.

LEF offers a blood amino acid test for around $132 for members, $180 something for non-members, plus the cost of a blood draw at LabCorp and maybe shipping. I don't know how the merits of a urinary test compare to those of blood.

This testing gets expensive and I haven't done any myself. I too am interested in knowing if anyone has a suggested molybdenum dosage.

dbkita

UM MAN,
I'm ++ for CBS A360A, I get readings of >1600 on my sulfate test strips, and a 2001 hair analysis by Trace Elements showed I was very low in molybdenum. Since my molybdenum level was so much lower than any other mineral tested, I always puzzled about why that was, until I got my 23andMe results back this fall and then read about the CBS and molybdenum connection at the heartfixer website and also in the CBS chapter in Amy Yasko's book, Autism: Pathways to Recovery, now available as a free download from her website.

I don't know what PST is - does it have something to do with phenol sensitivity?

As far as quantifying how much molybdenum to take, in her CBS chapter Amy recommends doing urinary amino acid tests (UAA) and then supplementing whatever amount it takes to get the taurine level to <50% on the UAA. And then follow-up testing every 2-3 months. If I remember right, she uses Doctor's Data for the UAA tests. For people without a prescription, that same test can be ordered through DirectLabs for $299.

LEF offers a blood amino acid test for around $132 for members, $180 something for non-members, plus the cost of a blood draw at LabCorp and maybe shipping. I don't know how the merits of a urinary test compare to those of blood.

This testing gets expensive and I haven't done any myself. I too am interested in knowing if anyone has a suggested molybdenum dosage.
Was Dr Yasko's suggestion solely for molybdenum to lower taurine or was she also including the RNA drops in those guidelines?

Lynn_M

Dr. Yasko's protocol for addressing CBS and lowering taurine does include taking her Ammonia RNA drops (or the CBS+ RNA drops). It also includes a low protein diet, molybdenum, yucca, magnesium and charcoal flushes. The protocol is on page 132 of her autism book.

dbkita

Dr. Yasko's protocol for addressing CBS and lowering taurine does include taking her Ammonia RNA drops (or the CBS+ RNA drops). It also includes a low protein diet, molybdenum, yucca, magnesium and charcoal flushes. The protocol is on page 132 of her autism book.
Got it. I seemed to remember something like that. The implication then is it may take multiple things in concert to hit the <50% taurine mark on a UAA, right?

Lynn_M

UM MAN,
I took 1 mg of Thorne molybdenum picolinate (from Amazon) for 60 days. I was also taking takesumi (activated bamboo charcoal) during some of that time. I had no negative effects, although I had also started taking a whole lot of herbs at the same time, so my experience may not mean much. I ran out of Mo about a month ago and couldn't reorder because I didn't have access to a computer for 2 months (recuperating at someone else's home from a fall and broken wrist). I will be reordering some kind of molybdenum very soon.

dbkita,
Yes, when dealing with a situation as serious as autism, I imagine Dr. Yasko's strategy is to attack the problem from all fronts. Other people may be able to get away with taking fewer elements of her protocol, depending on the severity of symptoms and responsiveness to treatment.

dbkita

Phenol SulphoTransferase (PST). Lynn_M + dbkita .... How many mcg of Mo do you take?

I take 450 mcg a day. Been doing that for like 4 months now. Has been helpful. Ironically seemed to fix my zinc to copper balance even though before the Mo I had actually low ceruloplasminin and serum copper. Now the ratio is much better both in serum testing and hair analysis. Don't really know why :)

ahmo

In looking at the CBS (transsulfuration pathway), I see molybdenum(Mo) noted.
Since I pee out 4 times as much sulfate as someone without a CBS mutation, I was
wondering if anyone knew how much more Mo is required? From time to time I have
become sensitive to phenols(high ORAC foods),and I was also wondering if low Mo could
have impacted my PST. Has any CBSers quantified their Mo needs? and did you also suspect
a PST level problem?

I've been taking 2mg molybdenum piccolinate twice daily for the past 4-5 months, as well as adding 1mg cap to my footbaths. I settled on this amount based on reading at MTHFR.net (Ben Lynch) and, I think, Klinghardt's pyroluria protocol. High dosages are recommended also for thyroid protocols and detoxxing mercury. I'm also using high doses of zinc, 200mg/day, and selenium, 400mg BID. I'm awaiting my Metametrix metals testing results, and will then know more about whether to keep these doses or decrease. I also use self-testing, which indicates to stay w/ these doses. My sulfate levels, which I've only had sticks to test for the past few weeks, has been >400. I'm eating zero thiols, haven't for the past 5 months.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been taking molybdenum amino acid chelate. Does anyone know how that compares to molybdenum piccolinate?

Rand56

hi Little Bluestem

I don't know how the picolinate version compares but I do have a question for you or anyone else who knows. I'm staring at an older bottle of molybdenum which is an amino acid chelate version. That's all it says in that it's any amino acid chelate. When they just say this...what amino acid are they actually chelating it with? I hope it's not glycinate because that always makes me more lethargic and I don't need that.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have no idea what amino acid(s) molybdenum is chelated with. You might go to the manufacturer's website see if you can find out. They should also have a contact e-mail address so you could write them and ask.

H
I've been taking 2mg molybdenum piccolinate twice daily for the past 4-5 months, as well as adding 1mg cap to my footbaths. I settled on this amount based on reading at MTHFR.net (Ben Lynch) and, I think, Klinghardt's pyroluria protocol. High dosages are recommended also for thyroid protocols and detoxxing mercury. I'm also using high doses of zinc, 200mg/day, and selenium, 400mg BID. I'm awaiting my Metametrix metals testing results, and will then know more about whether to keep these doses or decrease. I also use self-testing, which indicates to stay w/ these doses. My sulfate levels, which I've only had sticks to test for the past few weeks, has been >400. I'm eating zero thiols, haven't for the past 5 months.
hi @ahmo did you ever run into problems taking molybdenum at this level (4 mg per day)? I am taking a similar amount the past month for sulfite issues and don't want to over do it. Thanks

H

hi @ahmo did you ever run into problems taking molybdenum at this level (4 mg per day)? I am taking a similar amount the past month for sulfite issues and don't want to over do it. Thanks
@ahmo your zinc sounds high too at 200mg. I've been taking 50mg per day for 8 months for pyroluria and I have white fingernail spots now I never had before but I'm also chelation get which could be binding futher zinc. Hard to get a handle on intracellukar mineral levels without spending an arm and a leg