• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Hip

What's your opinion about adaptogens and cortisol? Some people say it just lowers cortisol while others say it balances cortisol. I'm not sure about bacopa, but ashwagandha and many other adaptogens affect cortisol in some manner. If they do lower cortisol this could be a problem for some people here.

I don't know much about adaptogens and cortisol.

Hi Hip, I wonder if you've ever used benzos for your anxiety and if yes, were you able to stop them using these supps? (Sorry if you've addressed this as I have not made it through the whole thread yet.)

I never actually tried benzodiazepines. I was a little worried about starting them, in case I developed the tolerance and withdrawal problems. I did try an SSRI drug, which had terrible effects on me, so I had to stop after only just one pill.

For me personally, NAG, flaxseed oil, turmeric, and also the excellent drug amisulpride 12.5 to 25 mg daily (which you can buy in India here), were the best anti-anxiety treatments.

But I also found these supplements good for anxiety: taurine 2 grams twice daily, vitamin A 25,000 IU daily, choline bitartrate 1000 mg daily.

If you can find some arginine powder, then I discovered that snorting (nasal insufflation) a very small amount of arginine powder (100 mg) into your nose has a very powerful and rapid anti-anxiety effect. You can snort arginine powder using a short length of drinking straw.

dear hip i m really very puzzled now as u have dicussed so many supplements,might be my anxiety problem, i am on antidepressants for last 12-13 years for general anxiety disorder,depression,ocd,the med im taking is as follows-fluvoxamine- 150 mg/day,venlafluvoxamine xr-150mg/day,& clonazepam 1.5 mg,i m looking for supplements so that i can taper of my medicines,i have my own cultivated pure turmeric,flax seed powder i have,but u have also said abt Bacopa monnieri (brahmi,availablel in India), Withania somnifera(ashwagandha,availablel in India) also in next post taurine , vitamin A 25,000, choline bitartrate,amisulpride 12.5 to 25 mg (available only on doctor prescription),arginine powder,kindly help me out to select 2-3 supplement which can help me,already started taking turmeric,slack seed powder,should i add any other supplement with these two,getting difficulty in getting NAG .

Hip

Deeee, if you look at the beginning of this thread HERE, you will see that I listed around 30 supplements and drugs that I found were effective for reducing my anxiety symptoms. These 30 supplements are listed approximately in order of potency, with the most powerful supplement placed at the top of the list.

So for me, the 15 most powerful anti-anxiety medications on my list were: N-acetylglucosamine, flaxseed oil, turmeric, low-dose amisulpride, arginine pyroglutamate, taurine, citrulline malate, vinpocetine, vitamin A, Saccharomyces boulardii, probiotics, prebiotics, imipramine, high dose inositol, choline bitartrate.

Not all these supplement will work for everybody, so you have to try them, to see which ones work for you.

Lotus97

I don't know much about adaptogens and cortisol.
Part of the reason I mentioned it is because Rich removed phosphatidylserine from his methylation protocol because it lowers cortisol and he said a lot of people here might have low cortisol. I don't think it's fully understood how adaptogens work, but anyone who has low cortisol might want to be cautious with adaptogens since most of them affect cortisol. It would be nice if there were some studies because if the claim that they balance cortisol rather than merely lowering it is true then that would be huge. Until then it's probably good to have cautious skepticism.

Lotus97

SSRIs are a tricky thing. They are sometimes prescribed for anxiety, but they can have the opposite effect in some people. I think Prozac is probably the most likely to cause anxiety. I've also read accounts of Prozac triggering manic episodes in bipolar individuals. When I was younger SSRIs didn't seem to cause any anxiety and Paxil made me so drowsy I stopped taking it, but in the last few years SSRIs seem to be very stimulating for me. I don't understand why they affect me differently now. They're the only thing that's worked for my depression. I've tried many different kinds of antidepressants including many different supplements for depression and nothing has worked.

Deeee, if you look at the beginning of this thread HERE, you will see that I listed around 30 supplements and drugs that I found were effective for reducing my anxiety symptoms. These 30 supplements are listed approximately in order of potency, with the most powerful supplement placed at the top of the list.

So for me, the 15 most powerful anti-anxiety medications on my list were: N-acetylglucosamine, flaxseed oil, turmeric, low-dose amisulpride, arginine pyroglutamate, taurine, citrulline malate, vinpocetine, vitamin A, Saccharomyces boulardii, probiotics, prebiotics, imipramine, high dose inositol, choline bitartrate.

Not all these supplement will work for everybody, so you have to try them, to see which ones work for you.
yes hip ur right,i just saw the list,now i need ur help,as NAG IS not available here can i club brahmi or ashwagandha with turmeric and linseed powder.,also tell me is there any difference between glucosamine sulphate nd NAG.

Living Dead

I didn't read all 8 pages.

• The third is the herb turmeric, at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily.
Turmeric has anxiolytic action because it's a MAOI, not because of its antiinflammatory action.

on days when my sinusitis was worse, my anxiety levels would shoot up. My theory is that in some people, sinus inflammation may be a prime factor causing anxiety symptoms. Perhaps inflammatory cytokines in the sinuses spill over into the brain (the brain is situated just next to the sinuses), precipitating brain inflammation, which in turn leads to the anxiety symptoms.
I'm seriously doubting that sinusitis can cause anxiety directly through brain inflammation. Not to say it could never happen, but with the least esoteric explanation being the most likely, I believe in common sense here. Low blood CO2 is known to cause both swollen sinuses and anxiety. This seems like a much more simple explanation for what you are experiencing. Of course with swollen sinuses you may feel that you're not getting enough air, thus breathing more, thus lowering your CO2 and making the problem worse, even if your sinusitis had another cause.

dear hip i m really very puzzled now as u have dicussed so many supplements,might be my anxiety problem, i am on antidepressants for last 12-13 years for general anxiety disorder,depression,ocd,the med im taking is as follows-fluvoxamine- 150 mg/day,venlafluvoxamine xr-150mg/day,& clonazepam 1.5 mg,i m looking for supplements so that i can taper of my medicines
There is no way you can find any supplement to beat the combination of venlafaxine (which I think you meant) and clonazepam. It will be a waste of your time. Also, don't combine turmeric with fluvoxamine or venlafaxine unless very carefully at your own risk.

Lotus97

Living Dead
You mentioned Turmeric as an MAOI. I was just reading about how various herbal supplements have MAOI properties including a few that I've either taken in the past, am taking now, or considering taking in the future. Do they pose the same health risks as prescription MAOIs?

Hip

Turmeric has anxiolytic action because it's a MAOI, not because of its antiinflammatory action.

I don't think this is true, as I believe it is curcumin which is the MAO-A / MAO-B inhibitor in turmeric (turmeric contains around 3% curcumin), and I have taken high doses of pure curcumin, and found that curcumin is not as effective as turmeric.

If the anxiolytic properties of turmeric were due to a MAO inhibitor mechanism, then you would expect pure curcumin to be a far better anxiolytic than turmeric, which it is not (at least in my case).

I'm seriously doubting that sinusitis can cause anxiety directly through brain inflammation.

Have a glance at these two newish studies:
From inflammation to sickness and depression: when the immune system subjugates the brain
Pathways and Mechanisms for Cytokine Signaling of the Central Nervous System

You'll see that these studies show that inflammation in the peripheries of the body (such as the gut) can, by a knock on effect, cause inflammation in central nervous system. So I suggest that an inflammatory condition in the sinuses (which are situated in very close proximity to the amygdala — the anxiety and fear center of the brain) may well ramp up inflammation in the brain, and in the all-important amygdala.

Furthermore, chronic fatigue symptoms are often caused by sinusitis, and clear up when the sinusitis is remedied (refs: 1, 2).

Hip

Sinusitis and Anxiety Symptoms Link

One other important thing to consider about the close proximity of the sinuses to the brain is that the arterial blood supply for the brain's amygdala actually runs directly through the sphenoid sinus prior to arriving at the amygdala.

The amygdala's blood supply comes from the anterior cerebral artery, which is a branch off the internal carotid artery that runs through the sphenoid sinus.

Thus pro-inflammatory cytokines, and pro-inflammatory bacterial toxins like LPS, deriving from a sphenoid sinus infection/inflammation and entering the bloodstream will run directly into the amygdala via this anterior cerebral artery.

Brain's blood supply. Sphenoid sinus is shown in violet color
Brain-blood-supply.jpg

Lotus97

Are there any potential side effects from taking 15 grams of inositol (other than having a lighter wallet)? I thought I was taking a lot of inositol, but nowhere near that much. I think I need more than I was taking, but I wasn't sure if it was ok.

I didn't read all 8 pages.

I'm seriously doubting that sinusitis can cause anxiety directly through brain inflammation. Not to say it could never happen, but with the least esoteric explanation being the most likely, I believe in common sense here. Low blood CO2 is known to cause both swollen sinuses and anxiety. This seems like a much more simple explanation for what you are experiencing. Of course with swollen sinuses you may feel that you're not getting enough air, thus breathing more, thus lowering your CO2 and making the problem worse, even if your sinusitis had another cause.

There is no way you can find any supplement to beat the combination of venlafaxine (which I think you meant) and clonazepam. It will be a waste of your time. Also, don't combine turmeric with fluvoxamine or venlafaxine unless very carefully at your own risk.
why is it so??what other i can take

shocking for me after reading ur point that There is no way you can find any supplement to beat the combination of venlafaxine (which I think you meant) and clonazepam. It will be a waste of your time. Also, don't combine turmeric with fluvoxamine or venlafaxine unless very carefully at your own risk.

Hip

Are there any potential side effects from taking 15 grams of inositol (other than having a lighter wallet)? I thought I was taking a lot of inositol, but nowhere near that much. I think I need more than I was taking, but I wasn't sure if it was ok.

High dose inositol seems extremely well tolerated, and actually does useful things in the body, like protect the liver from fat accumulation.

Note that when you are on a high dose inositol protocol, don't even think about buying inositol in tablets or capsules, else you will empty your bank account faster than an Italian with a credit card in a brothel (Italian genes allow me to make such non-PC comments). You need to buy inositol powder in bulk, which is much cheaper. You often get good bulk inositol deals on eBay. You can usually get a kilo for less than $50. The daily inositol dose is anywhere from one heaped teaspoon (6 grams) to three heaped teaspoons (18 grams). The powder flavor is quite nice, with a mildly sweet taste.

High dose inositol is a known treatment for anxiety, panic disorder, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). You can read more about its psychotropic benefits here.

Note that I found the effects of high dose inositol take a good 12 hours to kick in, so you won't feel the benefits until the next day. There are no habituation or tolerance problems: you can stop inositol any time without any negative effects.

High dose inositol seems extremely well tolerated, and actually does useful things in the body, like protect the liver from fat accumulation.

Note that when you are on a high dose inositol protocol, don't even think about buying inositol in tablets or capsules, else you will empty your bank account faster than an Italian with a credit card in a brothel (Italian genes allow me to make such non-PC comments). You need to buy inositol powder in bulk, which is much cheaper. You often get good bulk inositol deals on eBay. You can usually get a kilo for less than $50. The daily inositol dose is anywhere from one heaped teaspoon (6 grams) to three heaped teaspoons (18 grams). The powder flavor is quite nice, with a mildly sweet taste.

High dose inositol is a known treatment for anxiety, panic disorder, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). You can read more about its psychotropic benefits here.

Note that I found the effects of high dose inositol take a good 12 hours to kick in, so you won't feel the benefits until the next day. There are no habituation or tolerance problems: you can stop inositol any time without any negative effects.

Note that when you are on a high dose inositol protocol, don't even think about buying inositol in tablets or capsules
wow if it is so it might be amagic powder for me as im suffering from gad,depression,ocd,but again as in case of NAG was it is not availlable in India.

if turmeric is Maoi ,then it means,i m taking maoi regularly as in India we used about an avg of 30gms of turmeric in our daily food,also I am taking SSRI for last 13 yrs,but it has worked good for me,as far i hv heard maoi nd ssri can not be tolerated together,so how turmric is a maoi.

Living Dead

Living Dead
You mentioned Turmeric as an MAOI. I was just reading about how various herbal supplements have MAOI properties including a few that I've either taken in the past, am taking now, or considering taking in the future. Do they pose the same health risks as prescription MAOIs?
Herbs are usually weaker than medications, apart from that I don't know.

If the anxiolytic properties of turmeric were due to a MAO inhibitor mechanism, then you would expect pure curcumin to be a far better anxiolytic than turmeric, which it is not (at least in my case).
Curcumin also has a strong antiinflammatory action, so if curcumin doesn't do anything to you I don't understand how an antiinflammatory action could be a significant factor. Turmeric has may curcumin-like substances that probably have similar effects as curcumin, that's why it isn't weaker despite lower curcumin content.

Have a glance at these two newish studies:
• From inflammation to sickness and depression: when the immune system subjugates the brain
Generally I think of CFS as the reverse of depression. Depression is due to CNS underactivity, while CFS is due to CNS overactivity. So I'm not sure that's relevant. If the amygdala is inflamed, wouldn't it be less active, rather than overactive (I really don't have a clue, but that made more sense to me)?

Furthermore, chronic fatigue symptoms are often caused by sinusitis, and clear up when the sinusitis is remedied (refs: 1, 2).
Just chronic fatigue symptoms is different to CFS. They hallmark of CFS is post-extertional-malaise, not simply fatigue. Also, the alternative hypothesis that sinusitis caused more breathing, lowering CO2 and causing cell hypoxia is still possible.

Maybe just continue your medications, or try starting the supplements BEFORE quitting your medications, so that you know the supplements work for you first. I guess the supplements in this thread is worth a try.