• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nuun electrolyte drink - any experiences or thoughts about the ingredients?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Nuun is a company that makes tablets that you dissolve in water to make electrolyte drinks. Dan Moricoli (one of Dr Klimas's patients) mentioned that he takes them to try to keep hydrated. I got some to try last week and used them on a day when I was trying a 500 calorie fast.

I found this stuff palatable in a way that I haven't found other electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade. I wouldn't drink Nuun for fun but it's not horrible either. It doesn't contain sugar, which I thought was a good thing, but it contains sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol.

I wondered if I should be concerned about any of the ingredients, including sorbitol. Presumably they're all in small amounts. They're as follows:

Active Ingredients
Sodium (carbonates)
Potassium (bicarbonate)
Magnesium (sulfate)
Calcium (carbonate)
Vitamin C
Vitamin B2
level (mg)
500 mcg

Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Must admit I'd rather be drinking something natural like coconut water but it's incredibly expensive in the UK, at least - it's £3.50/litre - and although it's big on potassium I don't know that it's got the other electrolytes.

Seven7

Seven
I used Nuun but it ended up having too little potassium so too expensive for me. Compare with other solutions plus I have to order it online. I prefer to buy the pedyalite powder to travel. In the day to day I am trying potassium pills now. Nuun was the best tasting one of all the solutions I tried, so I would add potasium powder to overcome how low the number was.

Rooney

I used Nuun but it ended up having too little potassium so too expensive for me. Compare with other solutions plus I have to order it online. I prefer to buy the pedyalite powder to travel. In the day to day I am trying potassium pills now. Nuun was the best tasting one of all the solutions I tried, so I would add potasium powder to overcome how low the number was.
As I have the Nuun tablets, how much potassium should there be? Many thanks.

Seven7

Seven
well I do pedyalite which have 700 and some mg and the doctor told me it was not enough. So I think I am trying for at least 1500 mg ( I do a banana a day which gives me 400 and some). But Is about monitoring your levels to know how much do you need. I take florinef and that depletes potasium, so I might need more than somebody that does not take that.

Allyson

Nuun is a company that makes tablets that you dissolve in water to make electrolyte drinks. Dan Moricoli (one of Dr Klimas's patients) mentioned that he takes them to try to keep hydrated. I got some to try last week and used them on a day when I was trying a 500 calorie fast.

I found this stuff palatable in a way that I haven't found other electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade. I wouldn't drink Nuun for fun but it's not horrible either. It doesn't contain sugar, which I thought was a good thing, but it contains sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol.

I wondered if I should be concerned about any of the ingredients, including sorbitol. Presumably they're all in small amounts. They're as follows:

Active Ingredients
Sodium (carbonates)
Potassium (bicarbonate)
Magnesium (sulfate)
Calcium (carbonate)
Vitamin C
Vitamin B2 level (mg)
500 mcg
Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Must admit I'd rather be drinking something natural like coconut water but it's incredibly expensive in the UK, at least - it's £3.50/litre - and although it's big on potassium I don't know that it's got the other electrolytes.

sorbitol will irritate IBS as will anything ending in -itol
mny of us make a home breo with jsut salt and potassium in water and that works... and an unsweetened coconut water is good for electrolyte replacement - as is the Vietnames soup Pho - (but don t drink it too hot or it will exaceerbate EDS symptoms)