• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

simplify please the methylation knowledge

golden

i am very much hoping someone will be kind enough to help me understand the metbylation process/blockage

in as few words as possible.

Lotus97

i am very much hoping someone will be kind enough to help me understand the metbylation process/blockage

in as few words as possible.
This article explains methylation in very simple language. Keep in mind, when the author mentions "folic acid" he is referring to folinic acid and methylfolate rather than the folic acid you see in most supplements. Good luck.
http://www.prohealth.com/fibromyalgia/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=16138
After that, you can check out the sticky threads in this forum which are about Rich's and Freddd's protocol. If you do decide to follow Freddd's protocol you might also want to check you his micro titration thread which isn't sticky. Rich is the person mentioned in that article.

golden

lotus97

perfect thanks. i have started to understand it a bit.

http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/

this is the lab mentioned in the article. i was wondering if they deal with the UK.

also, i notice the glutathione range in this methylation protocol was much higher than dr.myhills which is 1.7-2.6mmol/l

i do not have the best of times with supplements i must say. i would prefer to only take those which are absolubtely necessary. also, its like a see-saw taking one supplement has a chain reaction and depletes another - it gets rather complicated.

i wonder if a better way would be to target food groups rich in these deficiencies instead.

thank you again for the link

Lotus97

I don't know too much about methylation pathway testing. It seems pretty expensive. Even though Rich has recommended it and I trust Rich on most issues I'm skeptical whether it's really necessary. Some people have talked about getting their SNP tested. 23andme is the place people recommend. I don't know too much about that either, but it might be a better test even though they're completely different types of test.

If you have problems with supplements you might want to try Rich's protocol because Freddd's protocol is going to provoke a stronger response from your body (although people following Freddd's protocol claim taking higher doses and more methyl donors produces quicker results). If you do Rich's protocol, you might want to consider Thorne's children's multi instead of the one Rich recommends since the children's multiple just has vitamins and minerals rather than some of the extra ingredients in the other one. Also, one serving of the thorne's children's multi (6 capsules) has 200 mcg folinic acid and 200 mcg methylfolate so you won't have to buy those separately which will save you some money. Whichever protocol you choose I would recommend starting at a very low dose if you tend to be sensitive to supplements. Although you might become less sensitive to supplements after doing methylation for awhile, initially you might actually become more sensitive due partially to the toxins being released. This is from Rich:
I suggest that another mechanism that could give rise to excitotoxicity on this type of treatment is that when the methylation cycle partial block is lifted, the detoxication system begins to operate better, since it depends to a large degree on sulfur-containing substances, and the methylation cycle controls the overall sulfur metabolism. When the detoxication system's function begins to improve, it can be expected that lipid-soluble toxins that have been stored in the body will be mobilized into the blood before they can be excreted into the urine and bile by the kidneys and liver, respectively. Those that are able to cross the blood-brain barrier may then be able to stimulate the NMDA receptors during the time when their levels in the blood are elevated. I think this would be another possible mechanism that could give rise to excitotoxicity on this treatment.

golden

thankyou.

is it fundamentally a glutathione deficiency then? which prevents lymphatic drainage - which encourages virus/bacteria which further depletes glutathione?

in the simplified article it states 'the average starting value of glutathione in our patients was 3.2 mmol/L (normal 3.9 - 5.5 mmol/L)

as i noticed dr myhills range is much lower.

if rich thought it was important to get tested first - even though i wasnt on the forum then - his posts do have a trustworthy feel to them even though i cant understand a lot.

i will email the USA office first then if netgerlands are difficult to communicate with.

the childrens vitamins sound like a good solution for me - thankyou.

Lotus97

thankyou.

in the simplified article it states 'the average starting value of glutathione in our patients was 3.2 mmol/L (normal 3.9 - 5.5 mmol/L)

as i noticed dr myhills range is much lower.

if rich thought it was important to get tested first - even though i wasnt on the forum then - his posts do have a trustworthy feel to them even though i cant understand a lot.

i will email the USA office first then if netgerlands are difficult to communicate with.
Rich has suggested getting the test, but like I said it's pretty expensive. I don't know if it's necessary or not. You can check out this thread about it. Maybe you can post in that thread to see if anyone else has had success with it.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/methylation-pathway-analysis.19451/#post-297904
And you might want to look into 23andme. There's probably a number of threads discussing SNP testing.
Is it fundamentally a glutathione deficiency then? which prevents lymphatic drainage - which encourages virus/bacteria which further depletes glutathione?
Some of this stuff is partially of a theoretical nature, but from what I understand it's more than just glutathione depletion although that might be a big part of it.
the childrens vitamins sound like a good solution for me - thankyou.
Just remember that it has methylfolate and folinic acid so you don't need to take those separately. You might want to just start out on B12 and then slowly work your way up to 6 capsules of the multi starting with just one a day.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Unfortunately the US office is difficult to communicate with too! And they send all the blood samples to the Netherlands anyway. Shipping is going to be the most complicated issue to deal with here, so you might as well just work with the Netherlands office.

Best wishes,
Sushi

golden

Unfortunately the US office is difficult to communicate with too! And they send all the blood samples to the Netherlands anyway. Shipping is going to be the most complicated issue to deal with here, so you might as well just work with the Netherlands office.

Best wishes,
Sushi

i must say i have exchanged a couple of emails with the usa office today and they were prompt and efficient in their replies.
but maybe it was just very good timing and this is unusual.

the most difficult thing for me would be finding a doctor who will order them.
still wondering what to do about this. is there anywhere you can just pay for the tests direct without having to ask the permission of a doctor?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
i must say i have exchanged a couple of emails with the usa office today and they were prompt and efficient in their replies.

still wondering what to do about this. is there anywhere you can just pay for the tests direct without having to ask the permission of a doctor?

I'm glad they were responsive. I haven't interacted with them for a couple of years so they must be easier to deal with now. The test is good though, no matter what the road-bumps along the way.

I remember that someone posted of a way to get this test without a doctor's prescription, but I can't find it now.
Maybe someone else will remember. I think it was a US connection though. A chiropractor can also prescribe the test if that is any easier.

Best,
Sush

invisiblejungle

I've also had a good experience with the US office. They always answer my emails very quickly.

Golden, Dr. Ben Lynch offers the methylation panel on his website, but it's more expensive compared to going through a practitioner. He charges $395, whereas it normally costs $295.

I have to say that I'm so glad I did the panel. I just received my results over the weekend, and they confirm that I have a methylation issue. After years of countless lab tests, I finally have an indicator that can explain the severity of my condition.

golden

I'm glad they were responsive. I haven't interacted with them for a couple of years so they must be easier to deal with now. The test is good though, no matter what the road-bumps along the way.

I remember that someone posted of a way to get this test without a doctor's prescription, but I can't find it now.
Maybe someone else will remember. I think it was a US connection though. A chiropractor can also prescribe the test if that is any easier.

Best,
Sush

Thanks Sushi.

I hope someone remembers how to get the test without a doctor.

However i have always found chiropractors/osteopaths etc easy to talk to and they listen so i would be prepared to go down this route. Not sure they have a medical licence in the UK thougb which is what the USA office want a copy of by fax.

golden

I've also had a good experience with the US office. They always answer my emails very quickly.

Golden, Dr. Ben Lynch offers the methylation panel on his website, but it's more expensive compared to going through a practitioner. He charges $395, whereas it normally costs $295.

I have to say that I'm so glad I did the panel. I just received my results over the weekend, and they confirm that I have a methylation issue. After years of countless lab tests, I finally have an indicator that can explain the severity of my condition.

I am very happy that you have found that all important missing piece of the puzzle. It is particularly importan i feel, to M.E. patients, to have that physical evidence on paper because of the pressure from the psych vampires to plaster psychological dysfunction onto us. - its how i feel anyway.

But more importantly, understanding the problem means that when treating with supplements it could avoid damage and permanent relapse occurring.

could i ask you or anyone to list the methylation panel of tests and reference ranges?

Finally, i will also look into the Doctors website too! as another possible route.

Thanks again!

Symptomatic

I just received my results over the weekend, and they confirm that I have a methylation issue.

My experiences with the US office have been less than stellar, especially with regards to the Nagalse test I did late last year.

When was your blood drawn for the methylation testing? I'm now waiting for those results, had blood drawn 4 weeks ago.

Lotus97

golden

thanks lotus97,

It was when i came into close contact with someone diagnosed M.E. that i became very ill although it would be over a decade later the diagnoses was given.

I dont know whether this would be considered a cluster case and so render the methylation testing irrelevant.

Freddd

thanks lotus97,

It was when i came into close contact with someone diagnosed M.E. that i became very ill although it would be over a decade later the diagnoses was given.

I dont know whether this would be considered a cluster case and so render the methylation testing irrelevant.

Hi Golden,

In my experience and opinion what happens is that many or even most have a stressor of some kind, vaccine, bacterial or viral infection, car wreck, death of a loved one, etc. It doesn't seem to matter in theis. What haapes, again in my experience and opinion, is that a person on the edge for all sorts of reasons drops into the pit which is metastable and difficult to leave. I had 6 to 8 six month crashes before the 17 year one.

Lotus97

I haven't watched the rest of the videos in the series, but this seems to be an alternative to anyone who doesn't feel like reading.