• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nitric Oxide: Friend or Foe?

I have a conundrum regarding NO.

On the one hand, a certain amount of NO is required as a vasodilator so that nutrients, including B12 can reach nerve fibers for maintenance and repair.

On the other hand there's the NO / ONOO (peroxinitrite) cycle - Results in high level of oxidants causing multiple symptoms.

The question is, if you take megadoses of B12 and break the NO/OHOO cycle by scavenging and binding NO, are you not reducing vasodilation and thereby not allowing B12 and other nutrients to reach small nerve fibers for healing?

How do you know how much NO you need or should have?

Ema

I'm responding to bump this up again because I wish someone knowledgeable would answer this too!

I do know that there are test strips available that work with saliva...but are inaccurate if you are taking antibiotics (like me).

Ema

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Dr. Julian Stewart has done research on this. I don't have links, but you could probably find articles.

Sushi

Freddd

I have a conundrum regarding NO.

On the one hand, a certain amount of NO is required as a vasodilator so that nutrients, including B12 can reach nerve fibers for maintenance and repair.

On the other hand there's the NO / ONOO (peroxinitrite) cycle - Results in high level of oxidants causing multiple symptoms.

The question is, if you take megadoses of B12 and break the NO/OHOO cycle by scavenging and binding NO, are you not reducing vasodilation and thereby not allowing B12 and other nutrients to reach small nerve fibers for healing?

How do you know how much NO you need or should have?
Hi Lorlov,

Why not try the minimum amount of MeCbl and AdoCbl to be effective and avoid megadoses. I think you may be creating your own logical conundrum by how you state it. Titrating for best effect will tell you when it stops increasing benefit. What kind of doses are you calling "megadoses" in any case. Your question as stated is unanswerable.

How about taking L-Arginine? It increases NO production in the endothelium lining the vascular system. It is now highly touted as a supplement to lower high blood pressure and many other heart conditions. Sorry I can't find the link right now for a very informative short video on how it works, but here is a site (with a product to sell) that has information. Scroll down to the Science category on the left and there is a subcategory on NO.

http://freedomhealthquest.com/learn/view/nitricoxide.html

L-arginine, by the way. plays a big part in the paper put out by Wheatly and interacts with AdoCbl and might perhaps be a very helpful supplement for reducing inflammation.

Blessings
Linda

Ema

How about taking L-Arginine? It increases NO production in the endothelium lining the vascular system. It is now highly touted as a supplement to lower high blood pressure and many other heart conditions. Sorry I can't find the link right now for a very informative short video on how it works, but here is a site (with a product to sell) that has information. Scroll down to the Science category on the left and there is a subcategory on NO.

http://freedomhealthquest.com/learn/view/nitricoxide.html

L-arginine, by the way. plays a big part in the paper put out by Wheatly and interacts with AdoCbl and might perhaps be a very helpful supplement for reducing inflammation.

Blessings
Linda
My worry about arginine is encouraging the herpes viruses...with high EBV, HHV6 and CMV titers, the last thing I want to do is help them proliferate.

Has anyone taken BH4? Is it only prescription?

Ema

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My worry about arginine is encouraging the herpes viruses...with high EBV, HHV6 and CMV titers, the last thing I want to do is help them proliferate.

Ema

Don't arginine and lysine oppose each other--hence the effect on herpes viruses?

Sushi

Ema

I think so. I've heard to take lysine if the arginine provokes the herpes virus. But I don't get (knock wood) cold sores so I have no idea how to tell if the arginine is making my viral load worse. I suppose could just take the lysine too but it seems better to just avoid arginine. But maybe I am wrong!

Hi Lorlov,

Why not try the minimum amount of MeCbl and AdoCbl to be effective and avoid megadoses. I think you may be creating your own logical conundrum by how you state it. Titrating for best effect will tell you when it stops increasing benefit. What kind of doses are you calling "megadoses" in any case. Your question as stated is unanswerable.

The conundrum is that there are positive and negative attributes to NO so it's hard to know what the right balance is
vis-a-vis vasodilation and NO/ONOO oxidative stress. I suppose the "your mileage may vary" approach will a slow ramp would be best. But it's hard to tell where benefits are coming from more -- the B12 or the Methlyfolate.

Yes, megadose of B12 is arbitrary. I'd say the 20mg-40mg daily that I believe you've mentioned taking would qualify.
I'd very much appreciate it if you could start a new thread with an specific updated protocol. Brands and doses.
It's hard to search this massive database for info, it would be nice to have an every 6 months or annual update.
For instance is Jarrow still considered a bad brand for B12? Do you advise splitting MdCbl / AdoCbl in an even ratio or what ratio do you think is best? Apparently they can convert back and forth in the body as needed but I wonder what the ratio is that exists naturally in the body on average.

Lotus97

Ema
Does arginine affect viruses related to Lyme?