• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl b12 brand rotation

Adster

I have a hunch that I do better when I rotate the brand of b12 that I'm using. It appears that after several months of use, one brand will become less effective, then I'll chance to another brand and start seeing improvement again.

Has anyone else seen this? I can't imagine why it would occur.

Freddd

I find that a mix of brands is better than either one alone unless there are not both good enough. Also, there can be differences from batch to batch even of the best. We need to identfy more reallly good 5 star brands. Find ones that make a differential improvement over your current one in both the first dose and for a month. When I was doing the first big round of testing the 5 star brands passed on both those criteria compared to each of all other brands ftested or all 5 people. Only 2 were identified. Both Jarrow and Enzy were each better than the other in some ways. This might be the effect you mean.

dbkita

Has Jarrows improved again? Something happened to it this last summer. I had to switch.

Adster

Jarrow 1mg seemed to lose its effectiveness, so I switched to life extension brand. It seemed good for a while then it too seemed to lose its punch. I went back to the same bottle of Jarrow and it seemed effective again. It doesn't make any sense that that would be the case though....

Freddd

Jarrow 1mg seemed to lose its effectiveness, so I switched to life extension brand. It seemed good for a while then it too seemed to lose its punch. I went back to the same bottle of Jarrow and it seemed effective again. It doesn't make any sense that that would be the case though....

Hi Adster,

As far as I know Jarrow MeCbl is not improved again. Very sad. When I was testing a lot of varieties. What I was looking for was one that could make a noticable difference over the brand I was taking, with the first dose. According to some things I've read there may be half a dozen different bacteria used to brew it each making a slightly differnt form. Then another researcher suggested to me that each company even might have specific mutations they are using and even that the lines may mutate rapidly. Anyway What I did notice, both with various batches of injectable coming from various wholesale houses via the local pharmacy, there was just as much variation as amongst brands. After the original tests there were two brands that both worked on CNS AND each produced a differential effect over the other. They were different. For my intial period of healing like crazy, the first year when I had symptoms in ecery part of the body, I found taking 2 or 3 different brands at various times of day produced the most consistant healing. Howver, that was true only of the best ones. The other brands was a matter of how fast they let symptpoms come back. The zero star brand was no different than taking CyCbl, 99% of symptoms started returning within 3 days and it was unenduarable after a week. Every tester refused to continue that one for the month, me included. We cut the month to first passing a week. What I learned was that not a single one that didn't have an improvement over the existing, would keep the symptoms from returning. Those were then rarted at how rapidly the symptoms came back, and made a start of which symptoms combinations were going to come back with which brands. Good luck. in finding some genuinely first class MeCbl. Even brands can change for better of worse each time they make any change, even buying a new kilo of crystal for the next batch makes a difference. Color of tablets changes depending upon how finely the crystal is ground. So some tablets are white with red flecks, some are more or less red. The crystals make a deep magenta color in water. Color says nothing about a tablet's effectiveness.

L'engle

moogle
I was getting getting good results from AOR for several months but then it seemed to decrease in effectiveness. I've also lost patience with brands that include sugar since I can really see how my tooth enamel has deteriorated in the 2 years since I started methyl b12.

Doctor's best has a new one on iherb as of November. I will be testing this soon.

Adster

Interested to hear how you go with the Drs Best. Not being being a sublingual makes it a bit harder to use, but it can be done.

L'engle

moogle
Interested to hear how you go with the Drs Best. Not being being a sublingual makes it a bit harder to use, but it can be done.

Yes, I will be interested to find out how this works. I will probably try breaking open the capsule and pasting the b12 into the upper area of my mouth outside the teeth and see if it can be made to last the way the sublinguals do. This formula has no additives that I can see beyond the capsule itself.

Here is the link:
http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Fully-Active-B12-1500-mcg-60-Veggie-Caps/46876

Adster

Yes, I will be interested to find out how this works. I will probably try breaking open the capsule and pasting the b12 into the upper area of my mouth outside the teeth and see if it can be made to last the way the sublinguals do. This formula has no additives that I can see beyond the capsule itself.

I actually made a little pill making device when I was trying this with the Thorne capsules. It was a bit cumbersome but the pills came out perfect!

Freddd

With the Anabol Dibencoplex I simply pour out 1/3 or so of the capsule onto a spoon and drop between my lower lip and gum, and spread it put by rubbing my lip back and forth. It has no trouble staying there for 2 hours and works very well at aborbrtion, no different than any others.

Adster

Here's a (confusing)hypothesis. The acid in the Jarrows when used over time might change the mucous membranes in a way that allows for better absorption. So when first changing to the other brand without the acid, the benefits from the previously used acidic Jarrows tablet initially allowed for good absorption of the new, non acidic but better quality mb12 tablet. After some time the absorption rate might fall again because the acidic tablet is no longer being used.

Maybe.

Sometimes I use the Thorne methylcobalamin 1mg capsul in the same way as the Anabol Dibencoplex, by emptying 1/2 a cap between the lower lip and gum. I like that it doesn't have flavorings and additives but don't know how it compares in effectiveness to other brands. It is good to see that Drs. Best has come out with an additive free product. I'll be real interested in the results people have with it.

Freddd

Here's a (confusing)hypothesis. The acid in the Jarrows when used over time might change the mucous membranes in a way that allows for better absorption. So when first changing to the other brand without the acid, the benefits from the previously used acidic Jarrows tablet initially allowed for good absorption of the new, non acidic but better quality mb12 tablet. After some time the absorption rate might fall again because the acidic tablet is no longer being used.

Maybe.

Hi Adster,

There was a hypothesis I put forth 9 years ago about the more acid tablet playing a role. I have tested that with pure MeCbl crystal sublingually for some duration, one series using bread as a bland carrier and using an apple slice as an acidic carrier. I was never able to find any difference, at least with large enough doses for colorimetry. I tried to increase absorbtion via more acid. Somebody reports success with DMSO and described how he did it, just in the past week. We batted that acid thing around for near a year as far as absorbtion goes. The only catch is that NOTHING but the Jarrow surpassed the ENZY and nothing but the ENZY surpassed the Jarrow. None of the others have been good enough to stay on for months while making gains and not backsliding.

Source Naturals 5mg MeCbl which was right in the ball park on acid was so bad it was indistinguisable from CyCbl, at the time I ran the tests and by report from many people since then.

I would love to see somebody organize a set of testers just starting MeCbl and sensing onset of each MeCbl dose. With a little practice a person can rate them with reasonable accuracy from that onset effectiveness compared to others. Then do the first dose test and longer tests. I have not seen any that only pass 1 but not the other.

The questionaire with 1 dose 120 minutes onset didn't work with other brands, certainly no where near the 75% of the two 5 star brands. The only AdoCbl tested in that manner was the Country Life. It's only now that I know why so much more AdoCbl came out in the urine. That was becasue of the folic acid. Good luck.

Adster

I reckon citric acid would be considerably more acidic than a piece of apple, but that's just a guess based on a list of average food acidity.

Adster

Sometimes I use the Thorne methylcobalamin 1mg capsul in the same way as the Anabol Dibencoplex, by emptying 1/2 a cap between the lower lip and gum. I like that it doesn't have flavorings and additives but don't know how it compares in effectiveness to other brands. It is good to see that Drs. Best has come out with an additive free product. I'll be real interested in the results people have with it.

I tried that Thorne 1mg but I didn't get very good results sadly.

xjhuez

The Enzymatic mb12 has mannitol so I can't use it.

The Natural Factors mb12 1000mcg sublingual seems to be working for me. Nothing measurable, but I believe both my mental and physical energy levels are slightly higher. I have no other product to compare its' effect against.

I've been trying the Anabol Dibencoplex sublingually as Freddd suggests.. with mixed results. Some of it does what you'd expect (dissolves to redish pink) but the white powder doesn't dissolve - I assume this is the "other ingredients" and/or the boron. I've gone up to 1 hour which is about all I can stand before washing it down. If the red is the cobamamide then it doesn't seem to be released slowly, but immediately, in which case I'm not sure sublingual makes sense.