• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My SNPs - let's network if we have the same mutations

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Here are my 23andMe results (via Genetic Genie) saved to Google Docs.

I've got a universe of research to do before I can begin to act on this information, but in the meantime, would love to network with others who have the same or similar profile. Maybe we can compare notes on our progress.

By the way, I've only just begun to explore this Genetic Testing and SNPs forum, but I've yet to read any success stories. Have any PWMEs (as opposed to Autistics) significantly improved by following a Yakso-like plan based on their SNPs, or is this still theoretical? (Sorry if this has been answered before, I'm just excited about the possibilities but also overwhelmed with questions).

SOC

Are you expecting to find ME/CFS useful information from 23andme other than methylation stuff? I'm still trying to decide whether to spring for the test since I'm not sure methylation is a big issue for me.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you discover.

drex13

Here are my 23andMe results (via Genetic Genie) saved to Google Docs.

I've got a universe of research to do before I can begin to act on this information, but in the meantime, would love to network with others who have the same or similar profile. Maybe we can compare notes on our progress.

By the way, I've only just begun to explore this Genetic Testing and SNPs forum, but I've yet to read any success stories. Have any PWMEs (as opposed to Autistics) significantly improved by following a Yakso-like plan based on their SNPs, or is this still theoretical? (Sorry if this has been answered before, I'm just excited about the possibilities but also overwhelmed with questions).

You're results look pretty good to me. I have alot more yellow and red than you. We have the same COMT results, which might indicate trouble handling excess methyl groups (I don't tolerate Methyl b12 or methylfolate well). You don't have any MTHFR defects, so that would indicate no folate processing problems. And you only have the one MTRR homozygous result (I have two, along with a hetero MTR), with all the other MTRR's and the MTR being fine, which might or might not show a small b-12 related issue. That's about the extent of my limited knowledge on the subject. Try hearfixer.com for some more detailed explanation of some of the SNP's and treatments.
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Sea

Looks like some useful information there Patrick to fuel your research. I wish you all the best with it, and yes I think sharing our info will be helpful to all of us

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Are you expecting to find ME/CFS useful information from 23andme other than methylation stuff? I'm still trying to decide whether to spring for the test since I'm not sure methylation is a big issue for me.

For now my focus is on methylation issues. I received the results of a Methylation Pathways Panel from Vitamin Diagnostics back in about October, and it showed some clear methylation problems.

I'm certainly open to exploring other ME/CFS issues based on my 23andMe results, but right now I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, you know?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Here's mine. We share the ++ MTRA66G, a couple +- COMTs. My CBSA360 is ++, and yours is +- .
Not sure if we have similar issues....?

Methylation Analysis Results.jpg

searcher

Hi Patrick-
If you are curious to compare your results to 50 PWCs check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...42R0E&authkey=CInzm5wE&authkey=CInzm5wE#gid=0

Overall your results look pretty decent. I haven't done the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have the average number of "risky" SNPs of the general population.

I haven't done the full Yasko protocol but have tried Rich's and Freddd's protocols. I don't personally know anyone who had a huge improvement going full-Yasko, but I have noticed a few people post on fb that it helped them. Methyl-B12 helped me but I never noticed anything obvious from the other supplements. That said I am better than when I first got sick, but I can't guarantee what contributed to the improvement. Also, I have some of the "bad" MTHFR SNPs that you thankfully don't have. Your one double SNP (http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1802059) theoretically means you may need more B12, so if you haven't tried one of the active B12 forms yet they may help.

Here are my SNPs (I tested a few years ago on an older chip, so am missing some SNPs:)
COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/- (we are all three the same. I guess we are all half warrior/half worrier)
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/- (same)
COMT -61 P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CC -/-
VDR Taq N/A
VDR Fok I rs10735810 AG
MAO A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AA +/+
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT -/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+
MTRR H595Y rs10380 CC -/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR R415T rs2287780 CC -/-
MTRR S275T N/A
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT-01 N/A
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-04 rs617219 AC +/-

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
You're results look pretty good to me. I have alot more yellow and red than you. We have the same COMT results, which might indicate trouble handling excess methyl groups (I don't tolerate Methyl b12 or methylfolate well). You don't have any MTHFR defects, so that would indicate no folate processing problems. And you only have the one MTRR homozygous result (I have two, along with a hetero MTR), with all the other MTRR's and the MTR being fine, which might or might not show a small b-12 related issue. That's about the extent of my limited knowledge on the subject. Try hearfixer.com for some more detailed explanation of some of the SNP's and treatments.
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
What?! R u crazy? She won the lottery with the COMT +/-. Many people take COMT inhibitor supplements to keep their dopamine levels up. She has enough to be SMART but not too much to be UNSTABLE. (I have two COMT +/+ and even I have no problem with methyls...of course I have a LOT of genes making BH4 scarce so the COMT +/+ prolly just saves me as I have trouble making dopamine).

I wonder why they colored the two CBS -/- yellow? -/- means NORMAL.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Here are my results. Only one here with as many that I have seen is BiancaS. I have been on high dose B supplements and other vitamins my whole life. My mother gave me antioxidants and multis since a baby as I was so sickly but I determined which vitamins I needed myself at age 12 and was taking high dose B vitamins ever since:

6 Homozygous:
COMT V158M +/+
COMT H62H +/+
ACE Del16 +/+
MTRR A66G +/+
BHMT 1 +/+
CBS C699T +/+

12 Heterozygous:
VDR Taq +/-
VDR Fok +/-
MAO A R297R +/-
MTHFR A1298C +/-
MTRR 11 +/-
BHMT 8 +/-
AHCY 1 +/-
AHCY 2 +/-
AHCY 19 +/-
CBS A360A +/-
SHMT C1420T +/-
NOS D298E +/-

One single +/+ can kill you. My father was MTHFR 1298 CC (homozygous) and it caused him to die of kidney disease (no detectable level of BH4).

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Hi Patrick-
If you are curious to compare your results to 50 PWCs check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...42R0E&authkey=CInzm5wE&authkey=CInzm5wE#gid=0

Overall your results look pretty decent. I haven't done the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have the average number of "risky" SNPs of the general population.

I haven't done the full Yasko protocol but have tried Rich's and Freddd's protocols. I don't personally know anyone who had a huge improvement going full-Yasko, but I have noticed a few people post on fb that it helped them. Methyl-B12 helped me but I never noticed anything obvious from the other supplements. That said I am better than when I first got sick, but I can't guarantee what contributed to the improvement. Also, I have some of the "bad" MTHFR SNPs that you thankfully don't have. Your one double SNP (http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1802059) theoretically means you may need more B12, so if you haven't tried one of the active B12 forms yet they may help.

Thanks for the feedback (and that goes for everyone in this thread). One thing I don't understand is I was on Fredd's protocol for most of 2011 and didn't improve at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure it made me worse, as I improved after I went off of it. All it did was give me tachychardia all the time and seemed to ensure that my Anaerobic Threshold was about 10-15 bpm lower than it was previously. And it wasn't because I didn't titrate slowly, because I went really slow.

Maybe I just need to find the right form of B12, or the right combination. Or maybe it failed because I hadn't done one of the preparatory steps that Yakso discusses.

Another possibility is that SNPs and methylation aren't a part of my problems at all and this is all a wild goose chase (although my Methlation Pathways Panel results suggest otherwise.) But I need to find out once and for all, so I'm going to try the full Yakso.

Thanks for the link to the 50 other PWME SNPs.

drex13

What?! R u crazy? She won the lottery with the COMT +/-. Many people take COMT inhibitor supplements to keep their dopamine levels up. She has enough to be SMART but not too much to be UNSTABLE. (I have two COMT +/+ and even I have no problem with methyls...of course I have a LOT of genes making BH4 scarce so the COMT +/+ prolly just saves me as I have trouble making dopamine).

I wonder why they colored the two CBS -/- yellow? -/- means NORMAL.
The key word in my statement being "might". No single polymorphism in this panel means anything by itself.

I went from a 3 to a 7 on the full Freddd protocol, and gained another 2 points, using Autism treatments by Yasko, and Langford.....:D

Lauriel

Are you doing the full Yasko treatment using all the supplements recommended? It's always encouraging to hear success stories, just the Yasko full protocol sounds very expensive!

Kat