• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can ADB12 be taken alone for inflammation?

Hi everyone,

I have both the MTHFR homozygous mutation, Homozygous COMT and CBS.

Fredds methylation protocol really helped brighten things up for me, but I had to stop due to some inflammatory/ autoimmune process that was triggered which attacked my brain and nerves. I have been having episodes of parasthesia, fasiculation, blood spots from burst blood vessles etc ever. I now have positive ANA with titer, speckled patter. Not other diagnosis.

Inflammation has been noted as a side effect of restarted methylation with 5mthf by Rich and Dr. Ben on MTHFR.net

Can I trial ADB12 first by itself to see if it helps with the inflammation before restarting the full protocol? Or will this simply deplete cofactors and make things worse?

THanks

Lamp

Lotus97

Hi everyone,

Fredds methylation protocol really helped brighten things up for me, but I had to stop due to some inflammatory/ autoimmune process that was triggered which attacked my brain and nerves. I have been having episodes of parasthesia, fasiculation, blood spots from burst blood vessles etc ever. I now have positive ANA with titer, speckled patter. Not other diagnosis.

Inflammation has been noted as a side effect of restarted methylation with 5mthf by Rich and Dr. Ben on MTHFR.net

Can I trial ADB12 first by itself to see if it helps with the inflammation before restarting the full protocol? Or will this simply deplete cofactors and make things worse?

THanks

Lamp
Did you stop all the supplements in his protocol or just the methyl donors? Because there are a lot of good supplements he recommends that would be good to take even if you're not doing methylation. For example, fish oil is especially good for inflammation. I don't know the answer to your question, but your body can convert some ADB12 into methyl b12.

adreno

PR activist
I would start with the methyl B12. It has a much shorter half-life than adb12 and the two can therefore easily become imbalanced.

caledonia

If you're COMT+ you're supposed to have problems tolerating large amounts of methyl donors (ie Freddd's protocol). However, I thought the symptoms would be more in the realm of mental distress (mood swings), not an inflammation type response. A CBS mutation, if expressed, would cause an anxiety/stress response to methyl donors, making it difficult to tolerate them until you treat for the CBS mutation.

So I'm not sure what's going on based on your SNPs.

Have you tried hydroxycobalamin? Rich suggested it because your body can make the required amounts of adB12 and mB12, and keep everything in balance.

Lotus97

If you're COMT+ you're supposed to have problems tolerating large amounts of methyl donors (ie Freddd's protocol). However, I thought the symptoms would be more in the realm of mental distress (mood swings), not an inflammation type response. A CBS mutation, if expressed, would cause an anxiety/stress response to methyl donors, making it difficult to tolerate them until you treat for the CBS mutation.

So I'm not sure what's going on based on your SNPs.

Have you tried hydroxycobalamin? Rich suggested it because your body can make the required amounts of adB12 and mB12, and keep everything in balance.
According to dbkita methylation can increase inflammation

caledonia

In that case, I would stop all methyl donors, and take niacin (50-100mg extended release) to get everything calmed down. Then when restarting be much more cautious about levels of supplementation - follow something closer to Rich's Simplified Protocol. It might be a good idea to monitor things with the HDRI methylation panel, so you can see what's going on functionally.

Freddd

What happens if the two become imbalanced? And do you have any thoughts of a ratio of adb12 and mb12?

Hi Lotus,

Now that is a question that has been debated for 9 years that I know of. I'll tell you what I have seen and had reported. In ONE person who was experimenting with higher dose AdoCbl injections, comparable to the CNS penetrating MeCbl doses of 3x10mg or 2x15mg daily, and he was at about 3x as much AdoCbl as MeCbl if I rememmber the one series correctly, there was a gradual change towards more irritability and a "harsher" attitude. MeCbl is called "the connection" vitamin in some circles, emotionally warm. AdoCbl appears to change the balance more towards "cooler" emotional standing. It might be merely crowding the MeCbl out of reach.

Then there is the whole deadlock thing. Healing needs methylation and ATP. The two effects are needed together for best effect. At the worst none of the funtions work. Also, for best inflammation handling, zinc is an important cofactor looking at the diagrams in Wheatley's GORILLA paper.

The exact ratio that performs best is multi modal. For the most part as far as I can see it isn't terribly exacting as to exact ratio. However, some people definitely benefit from daily AdoCbl and some definitely need a lot more AdoCbl than others. I would conjecture that those people can't convert MeCbl as easily or maybe at all, to AdoCbl. I seem to have decent interconversion there. I have noticed that taking about 3.3mg of AdoCbl daily has imporved the inflammation control and healing on my shoulder with a problem since last July which came on after the Jarrow went bad and I was taking just the Source Naturals AdoCbl. I noticed a significant difference with the Anabol and taking it daily my shoulder has been healing after 5 months of no progress.

Freddd

Hi everyone,

THanks

Lamp

Hi Lamp,

In my experience it is paradoxical folate deficiency that kicks up inflmmation with MeCbl, AdoCbl and L-methylfolate bringing inflammation down rapidly. With the induced folate deficiency for any reason, paradoxical, insufficient or induced by gltuathione was by far the worst and fastest hitting inflammation. Inflammation started increasing vastly by day 3 or 4 of the glutathione for me