• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much Zinc and Magnesium are your taking?

Oh god-please don't tell me two years. I'll go crazy. Did you ever try zinc? Have you ever done chelation? I am hoping this might clear the problem up!?

dbkita

When I started adb12 at 1.25 mg and then 2.5 mg Source Naturals dibenzocide, a metallic taste exploded in my mouth. But I had not been taking zinc for a while thinking I had plenty in my diet. But I started taking about a month after starting the adb12, some zinc carnosine for my gut lining. When I got to a regular 32 mg of elemental zinc, the metallic taste slowly disappeared. After two months of zinc supplementation it disappeared entirely. So if I understand correctly, you can get a metallic taste in your mouth when you don't have enough zinc BUT take either small amounts of zinc or meb12 or adb12. For me it was the adb12 that triggered and did not resolve until I repleted zinc. For others it is taking some zinc or methylb12. Fascinating interconnectedness with all these minerals / cofactors.

juniemarie

lef I have not tried zinc yet and I cant tell from this conversation whether zinc will make it worse or better. Seems like some got metallic taste WITH zinc and others got it when they needed zinc. I confused.

dbkita

lef I have not tried zinc yet and I cant tell from this conversation whether zinc will make it worse or better. Seems like some got metallic taste WITH zinc and others got it when they needed zinc. I confused.
You tend to get a metallic taste with zinc if you actually NEED more. Naturopaths put a liquid solution with some zinc in it in your mouth have you swish it around. If you have a strong metallic taste, they give you a high dose. If you have some metallic taste they give you small doses going forward. If you have none, they consider you have enough.

However, as people on these forums have found via personal experience, if you start taking mb12 or adb12, you may suddenly have metallic taste. In my case the answer was to take zinc to remove it. Dunno if it will work for you. Good luck and God Bless.

Ocean

I take about 25-50 per day in the form of a lozenge usually. It's working great for me. I found that without it I could not tolerate vit. D since it was depleting my zinc and causing stomach problems and depressed mood. I also have found that my immunity seems stronger since I've started daily supplementation. With magnesium I take less than 200 orally since I have trouble tolerating it but try to do several applications of magnesium spray per day. Like zinc, if I don't supplement with magnesium I cannot tolerate vitamin D. Same goes for vitamin K as well. Crux, If I remember right I think you were the one to encourage me with the zinc, thank you!

juniemarie

dbkita thanks for that I think I understand now. Not planning on taking mb12 or adb12 at this time but I may go ahead and try some zinc to see if it helps my metallic taste. Any type or brand in particular? You say elemental zinc is that something different or is it just regular zinc?

dbkita

dbkita thanks for that I think I understand now. Not planning on taking mb12 or adb12 at this time but I may go ahead and try some zinc to see if it helps my metallic taste. Any type or brand in particular? You say elemental zinc is that something different or is it just regular zinc?
I like zinc carnosine personally but the elemental is just the net amount of zinc. The brand I use is Pepzin GL by Doctor's best, 4 pills per day in two doses, one dose in morning, one in evening. But the zinc carnosine I also take because it does wonder for the gut lining and anti-reflux.

adreno

PR activist
Is that all as zinc carnosine Adreno? Btw thanks for recommending the zinc carnosine ... thumbs up!
I have been taking 60mg as zinc carnosine at times. But it's a bit expensive, and now I take 30mg as zinc glycinate. I've read the glycinate form has superior absorption, and sometimes even 60mg zinc carnosine doesn't seem to be enough for me. I believe I have been severely depleted for years. Some symptoms I get with low zinc are worsened tachycardia and fatigue, low libido, acne and skin peeling around my nails.

I'm happy you like the zinc carnosine. I find it very helpful too. Carnosine is also a great supplement in its own right, although last time I tried it, it gave me a histamine reaction.

Victronix

I have been taking 15 mg zinc twice a day, along with a multi that has ~20 mg, and have not yet gotten the flu or any intense illness this winter. I've had ongoing low grade illness almost constantly, though. Still, I want to decrease it to just 15 mg /day and see how that goes. I don't take extra copper, although there is some in the multi, and I don't want things to get too out of balance.

Magnesium -- A few years ago I had bad muscle pains a lot, sore muscles that would last for days, migraines very often, etc., after the combo of B-12 deficiency and thyroid implosion, and those worsened in the winter. I had started taking a multi-mineral by Rainbow Light and then went on a Christmas break to stay with my husbands parents and forgot to bring it. I didn't think much of it, but my body went ballistic -- terrible muscle pains and extreme anger and depression, and trapped in Middle Georgia with no way to alleviate any of it. On the way back to the West Coast my flight got stuck in Salt Lake City and they (Delta) said it would be 2 days to get onto another flight, so I paid $250 just to get out of there via another airline because of the horrible state I was in.

That was how I learned I needed magnesium because it didn't show up as deficient on the Spectrocell labs I had done, before I was taking any multi-mineral.

So I started on a multi-month trial of several different brands because I very quickly found that magnesium drove my gut wild -- I would have cramps in my lower back and sides so intense that I had to take ibuprofen every day, and sometimes would have to stay home from work. I was trying to do a slightly larger ratio of Mg than Calcium, or even ratio, but that was too difficult, so I gave up on that. I did some research and found this woman's website, which was very helpful --

http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

So I saw that she recommended some types developed to *not* interact with the gut. She says:

The medical community repletes magnesium by giving 400 mg. of oxide, sulphate or gluconate 4-6 times a day. At this level diarrhea becomes a problem and a loose stool depletes magnesium and other electrolytes quickly. Albion Labs chelated magnesium is designed to deliver magnesium without diarrhea. Even when using the Albion chelate a loose stool can still be a problem under certain circumstances. Pathogenic gut bacteria have the ability to 'unchelate' any form of magnesium so that it too may contribute to diarrhea. If you have any type of gut issues consider testing for pathogens and treating before adding back magnesium. You should discontinue magnesium if your stool becomes soft or un-formed.

So I tried the Albion labs version by Carlson, and it worked, but I can only take a 1/2 size pill (50 mg) or its really over stimulating -- http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Chelated-Cal-Mag-180-Tablets/13463

It made a huge difference for me. These days I rarely get migraines, and the muscle pain I get is now different, I don't think due to magnesium, and still very much a problem, not improving.

I had planned on increasing the magnesium, but that's gone by the wayside lately with too many other issues cropping up. As it is I cannot even work 2 days in a row without become non-functional or sick.

Freddd

Well I am following this with great interest as metallic taste in my mouth has been with me for over 2 yrs. I dont take zinc so thats not it. It started before I was on Rich's protocol so thats not it. I searched and posted lots for about 6 mos because it is so uncomfortable but finally just gave up......I just put up with it and hope someday I include something in my list of supplements that coincidentally makes it go away.

Juniemarie,

Scuh a taste can come from the infected remains of a poorly done root canal tha breaks through to the surface and leaks products of infection into one's mouth. Other infections can casue it too. Before MeCbl I had all sorts of mouth infections and problems.

juniemarie

lef PM me. I think I have stumbled upon something thats getting rid of my metallic taste. If your interested I can explain further I have been free of it for 3 days in a row and that is a first in over 2 years

dbkita

lef PM me. I think I have stumbled upon something thats getting rid of my metallic taste. If your interested I can explain further I have been free of it for 3 days in a row and that is a first in over 2 years
Care to share your solution? Be good for community to know.

juniemarie

Of course. I did not want to highjack the zinc thread and didn't think the info would be useful to anyone but lef. I have posted before about the metallic taste and never got much response as it seems that this is not something many experience.
I hope its not short lived but this will be my 4th day symptom free. Unfortunately I started 2 new things on the same day so not sure which one is giving me relief. Since I have lyme I am always worrying about my teeth so I got a mouth rinse called Perio Wash by Nature's Answer. It has an assortment of herbs,e.o.'s, folic acid co q 10. The other thing I am doing is brushing my teeth with activated charcoal and I hold it in my mouth for about 4-5 mins. I had read that its a less drastic way of mopping up toxins. If I continue to be symptom free I will post again in another week. Fingers crossed.
It's just that I felt so bad for lef as I got the impression he just started having this metallic taste and was very disheartened when I posted that I had had it for over 2 years. He hasn't been on lately so maybe I willPM him

UM MAN

If you have no problems with XYLITOL, mix a spoonful with a cup of warm water, and waterpik with it.
Also chew xylitol gum.

OK, I'm going to get feedback on this next suggestion, but, I have done this for years, so, here it goes.
To control Streptococcus mutans, I daily mix 5 drops of fresh (check the date) Clorox with warm water
and waterpik with it. I also use PERIOGEN once a week. If I die, well, I will still have my white teeth.

Lotus97

I take 30 mg of Zinc and around 1000 mg maganesium. I've read some information recently that suggests zinc doesn't play much of a role in copper antagonism, but I don't know who is right. I get about 1-1.5 mg copper from my diet so I don't supplement. I don't know what the benefit of taking huge doses of zinc so that's why I'm not going above 30 mg. I tried using magnesium oil under my armpits because that's where it's best absorbed, but it burns sometimes so I'm not sure if I'm going to try another body part. Any suggestions?

Victronix

I take 30 mg of Zinc and around 1000 mg maganesium. I've read some information recently that suggests zinc doesn't play much of a role in copper antagonism, but I don't know who is right. I get about 1-1.5 mg copper from my diet so I don't supplement. I don't know what the benefit of taking huge doses of zinc so that's why I'm not going above 30 mg. I tried using magnesium oil under my armpits because that's where it's best absorbed, but it burns sometimes so I'm not sure if I'm going to try another body part. Any suggestions?

Albion Labs magnesium is supposed to be designed to not interact with the gut, if that's an issue for you. Several companies use it in their mixtures. My gut is trashed and that was the only type that worked for me.