• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Lotus97

I have mercury toxicity and Lyme disease. Methylation seems to be making my anxiety and overstimulation worse so I'm going to stop that for awhile (at least the active B12s and folates). Rich has said that both mercury and Lyme disease can present problems for people trying methylation.

It seems like my physical symptoms are feeding into mental symptoms. Most of the time people say mental anxiety causes physical symptoms (which is true), but it can be the other way too such as the expression of "the tail wagging the dog". Of course it's also possible that sometimes physical symptoms could be stored emotional pain.

Personally, I've found that being on the right supplements/medications, proper nutrition, getting enough sleep, and limiting activities and sources of stress to be the most helpful.

When I was younger I'd be very tired and fatigued from chronic insomnia or if I did too many activities, but at some point things changed and now I'm more wired if I don't get enough sleep or spend too much time at the computer or other activities. If I wake up and I'm relaxed or even sort of drowsy I know I've slept well. I don't know why my body is doing this. Could it be adrenal problems? I had my DHEA and Cortisol tested a few years ago. My Cortisol levels were out of normal range (both high and low). I don't understand what that means and for some reason I never asked my doctor.

Lotus97

Right now I'm cycling adaptogens 8 weeks on and at least 2-4 weeks off. I stagger the cycles so I'm always on a couple at the same time. Although some adaptogens can be stimulating for some people, most people find them useful for stress, anxiety, and adrenals. They include Bacopa, Holy Basil, Ashwagandha, Gotu Kola, Rhodiola, Reishi mushrooms, Cordyceps mushrooms, Schizandra/Schisandra, Goji berry/Wolfberry, Eleuthero, and Rhodiola. Bacopa, Ashwagandha, Gotu Kola, and Reishi are especially good for improving cognitive function. Rhodiola and Eleuthero are good for depression. Reishi, Cordyceps, Eleuthero, and Holy Basil are good for the immune system. Goji has an extremely high ORAC score (measure of antioxidant capability). Holy Basil lowers Cortisol.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned is garlic. It's good for both anxiety and depression. The garlic must be raw/uncooked for it to work. If you're going to put on food you need to add the garlic after the food has been cooked. Some of the side effects of garlic can be acid reflux, brain fog, and dry mouth. It can also kill probiotics and cause die-off/Herxheimer reaction if it kils Candida, Lyme, or other pathogens.

Hip

A while ago I got some feedback from Christopher on this forum, who tried N-acetylglucosamine (NAG), and told me the following:
I took some NAG that I ordered. Within an hour I felt a significant reduction in anxiety, and also started to feel mucous drain from my sinuses. The gains are still holding, except that I've been trying to do as much as possible since the anxiety has diminished, so am a little wiped out.

I've also been dealing with constipation lately, and I've been a lot more regular since I started the NAG as well, so it seems to be working on my gut as well. This makes me believe that if I pay careful attention to experimenting with diet, I may see further gains.

Note that N-acetylglucosamine is (probably) contra-indicated in Lyme disease, as NAG is a necessary nutrient for Borrelia.

Dear friends im 33 m from India,yesterday i was searching for usage of raw turmeric which i have myself cultivated in my backyard space of my house,hmm not too much ,around 20 kg while searching i got this thread,found it very useful as i am on antidepressants for last 12-13 years for general anxiety disorder,depression,ocd,the med im taking is as follows-fluvoxamine- 150 mg/day,venlafluvoxamine xr-150mg/day,& clonazepam 1.5 mg,these med i m taking regularly for last 8 years,it irritates when i think of these,some times i think im living dual personality as people in my surrounding except my family members do not know about this when ever i think of my future with these med, i feel very bad,i m getting tired day by day,my immune system has became very poor,some times with other disease i get confused,beside this i am also suffering from irritable bowel syndrome which keep my my stomach upset,i m also worried specially about clonazepam which im taking 1.5mg daily for sleeping,u people can better understand me, i want to get rid of all these specially clonazepam,i have a little daughter of 3 yr age, i do not see my future very bright,you people were talking about NAG, turmeric,slack seed oil will it work for me also,kindly advice me.​

Seewell

Hi Deeee,growing your own turmeric sounds fun ! :)
I grew my own tomato plant last year,they were the best tasting toms ive ever tasted.

I dont know alot about meds but theres many people on here that do.

Lotus97

Dear friends im 33 m from India,yesterday i was searching for usage of raw turmeric which i have myself cultivated in my backyard space of my house,hmm not too much ,around 20 kg while searching i got this thread,found it very useful as i am on antidepressants for last 12-13 years for general anxiety disorder,depression,ocd,the med im taking is as follows-fluvoxamine- 150 mg/day,venlafluvoxamine xr-150mg/day,& clonazepam 1.5 mg,these med i m taking regularly for last 8 years,it irritates when i think of these,some times i think im living dual personality as people in my surrounding except my family members do not know about this when ever i think of my future with these med, i feel very bad,i m getting tired day by day,my immune system has became very poor,some times with other disease i get confused,beside this i am also suffering from irritable bowel syndrome which keep my my stomach upset,i m also worried specially about clonazepam which im taking 1.5mg daily for sleeping,u people can better understand me, i want to get rid of all these specially clonazepam,i have a little daughter of 3 yr age, i do not see my future very bright,you people were talking about NAG, turmeric,slack seed oil will it work for me also,kindly advice me.
I'm sorry to hear about your health. I know what that's like:ill:. Unfortunately, it really comes down to trial and error because everyone is different. Hopefully some of the suggestions in this thread work for you. From what I understand Bacopa, Holy Basil, Ashwagandha, and Gotu Kola originate from India so maybe you could find out about growing those too although there does seem to be a debate whether to take whole herbs or standardized extracts.

thanks lotus and seewell for the reply,on query from local market ( haridwar),i found NAG and SLACK SEED oil is available here,turmeric is available with me, will it work for me,kindly advise if yes then wht abt dosage and form of these supplement.

Lotus97

thanks lotus and seewell for the reply,on query from local market ( haridwar),i found NAG and SLACK SEED oil is available here,turmeric is available with me, will it work for me,kindly advise if yes then wht abt dosage and form of these supplement.
If the tumeric is whole herb it might be a couple grams, but with everything it's always good to start at a low dose and work your way up.

CONFUSED with turmeric as it is in root form with me,bitter taste?????empty capsules are not available here

Lotus97

CONFUSED with turmeric as it is in root form with me,bitter taste?????empty capsules are not available here
yeah, I don't like the taste too much either which is why I don't take it. If you like V8 it might be good mixed with that or with food? iHerb has free international shipping for orders over $40. I don't know what your budget is like, but they do have tumeric in capsules. The tumeric products are often called curcumin, but it's the same thing. Most brands are selling the extract rather than the whole herb.

Lotus97

No, turmeric is not the same as curcumin.
Could you explain? Many brands call it both curcumin and turmeric so I'm a bit confused.
I think I found the answer to my question. This from a turmeric supplement description.
Turmeric Root Power enables you to get all the curcuminoids plus much more, because it uses whole ground turmeric. Did you know that there are additional bioactive compounds in turmeric, other than the curcuminoids? And they're all good for you. Also, it's been reported that curcumin has low bioavailability, and that may be true. However, it is interesting to note that one formulation, claiming the highest curcumin bioavailability, first extracts curcumin from whole turmeric leaving the nature essential oils behind, and then mixes the oils back in!
When you cut a piece of fresh turmeric, your hands turn yellow, an indication that there is good bioavailability, because skin has evolved to be highly resistant to penetration by foreign substances. Also, if you're taking whole turmeric, your stool does not turn yellow. Proof again!

Hip

Could you explain? Many brands call it both curcumin and turmeric so I'm a bit confused.

Turmeric is the name of the spice that comes from the root of the plant Curcuma longa.

The active constituent principles of turmeric include: curcumin, demethoxycurcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin, ar-turmerone, atlantone and zingiberone. The curcumin content of turmeric is around 3%.

So when you buy curcumin, you are getting just the pure chemical compound curcumin. But when you buy turmeric, you are getting a spice that contains 3% curcumin, plus the other active principles.

I tried both pure curcumin and turmeric, and I found that for anti-anxiety purposes, turmeric was a lot better than curcumin.

Last edited:

Lotus97

Turmeric is the name of the spice that comes from the root of the plant Curcuma longa.

The active constituent principles of turmeric include: curcumin, tumerone, atlantone and zingiberone, with only about 3% of turmeric consisting of curcumin.

So when you buy curcumin, you are getting just the pure chemical compound curcumin. But when you buy turmeric, you are getting a spice that contains 3% curcumin, plus the other active principles.

I tried both pure curcumin and turmeric, and I found that for anti-anxiety purposes, turmeric was a lot better than curcumin.
I found a few full spectrum extracts which I assume would be fine (?)
http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-Organics-Turmeric-60-Veggie-Caps/4626
Paradise truly holistic full spectrum organic turmeric is the highest quality nature has to offer. Using a 100% natural extraction method the true essence and breadth of the whole herb is captured therefore retaining all of its active and synergistic constituents is the balanced ratio nature intended.
According to Ayurveda, turmeric is used to increase flexibility, help support ligaments, tendons and joints, improve intestinal flora, cleanse and purify the body and support a good nights sleep when taking traditionally with warm milk.

And also this brand
http://www.iherb.com/New-Chapter-Turmeric-Force-60-Softgels/75
Full-Spectrum Extraction: Our Difference
Many companies isolate elements from an herb, concentrate it, and label it "whole herb." New Chapter delivers the wisdom of whole food. Using only chemical solvent-free methods, including supercritical CO2 extraction, our natural Force extracts guarantee the fullest spectrum of beneficial phytonutrients in their natural profile.

Hip

The cheapest way to get turmeric is in an Asian store, or online from Asian spice suppliers. I bought a whole kilogram bag of turmeric powder for £3. Then you can just swallow say half a teaspoon of the powder with some water. The taste is not unpleasant. I tend to buy a lot of supplements in bulk powder form, because you save so much money that way, often around a 90% reduction in price compared to capsules. A good supplier of bulk powder supplements in general is purebulk.com.