• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone "pushed through" "exitoxicity" type sypmtoms?

Ocean

Adb12, Mb12, Methylfolate, Multi B, and L-Carnitine Fumurate.

At one time she was taking A,D,E,C,K, Calcium, Mag, Zinc, Omega 3 and a few other things, but she mainly takes those 5 above now. If she "crashes" from skipping vitamins. I add in some of those basics for extra insurance on a quick recovery.

Basically Freddd's protocol gave her an amazing recovery in a few months time. She ran a triathalon in May 2011 after starting the protocol in Oct 2010. And she was bad off it 2010, depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, flu 3 times a year, constant sinusitis and upper respiratory infections, year round zpac and steroids for infections, pnuemonia, sleep problems, TMJ, IBS, you name it. All of that was gone in a few months time. You can read through all of my early posts and get a pretty good idea of what "pushing through" was like.

I think I could titrate her to effect, and monitor potassium better knowing what I know now. But we are learning more and more all the time.
Thank you.

Red04

Also, when my wife started it wasn't well known that folic acid blocked the process. That was a big breakthrough that probably caused some of the troubles along the way.

Lotus97

Lotus97;
Hi Lotus, Good ol' Dr. Weil thinks that SAMe probably won't increase homocysteine. At least, he thought this in '08.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400465/Can-SAMe-Hurt-My-Heart.html
Dr. Weil lol.:D I couldn't find the results of the study mentioned, but I found one that suggests SAMe doesn't raise or lower homocysteine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19422296?dopt=Abstract
Dietary supplement S-adenosyl-L-methionine (AdoMet) effects on plasma homocysteine levels in healthy human subjects: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial.
OBJECTIVES: To determine if exogenous S-adenosyl-l-methionine (AdoMet), a commonly used nutritional supplement, increases the level of plasma homocysteine (Hcy), a potential cardiovascular risk factor, in healthy human subjects.
DESIGN: Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial.
SETTING: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
SUBJECTS: Fifty-two (52) healthy human volunteers.
INTERVENTION: Subjects received placebo or AdoMet (800 mg per day) for 4 weeks. Hcy levels were measured before and after administration of AdoMet or placebo.
OUTCOME MEASURES: The primary outcome measure was change in Hcy level. Secondary outcome measures included an interim Hcy determination (at 2 weeks) and changes in levels of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), lipids, and alanine aminotransferase.
RESULTS: There was no statistically significant change in Hcy between groups. Similarly, no statistically significant differences in change in Hcy or hsCRP levels were observed at 2 or 4 weeks. There was a small but statistically significant increase (p < 0.04) in alanine aminotransferase at week 2 and a statistically significant decrease (p < 0.04) in total cholesterol in the AdoMet group compared with the placebo group.
CONCLUSIONS: AdoMet at a daily dose of 800 mg for 4 weeks does not appear to significantly affect Hcy levels in the blood.

Ocean

Also, when my wife started it wasn't well known that folic acid blocked the process. That was a big breakthrough that probably caused some of the troubles along the way.
Thanks I don't know much about any of this stuff, so I didn't know that.

Lotus97

Dr. Weil lol.:D I couldn't find the results of the study mentioned, but I found one that suggests SAMe doesn't raise or lower homocysteine.
Dietary supplement S-adenosyl-L-methionine (AdoMet) effects on plasma homocysteine levels in healthy human subjects: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial.
OBJECTIVES: To determine if exogenous S-adenosyl-l-methionine (AdoMet), a commonly used nutritional supplement, increases the level of plasma homocysteine (Hcy), a potential cardiovascular risk factor, in healthy human subjects.
DESIGN: Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial.
SETTING: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
SUBJECTS: Fifty-two (52) healthy human volunteers.
INTERVENTION: Subjects received placebo or AdoMet (800 mg per day) for 4 weeks. Hcy levels were measured before and after administration of AdoMet or placebo.
OUTCOME MEASURES: The primary outcome measure was change in Hcy level. Secondary outcome measures included an interim Hcy determination (at 2 weeks) and changes in levels of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), lipids, and alanine aminotransferase.
RESULTS: There was no statistically significant change in Hcy between groups. Similarly, no statistically significant differences in change in Hcy or hsCRP levels were observed at 2 or 4 weeks. There was a small but statistically significant increase (p < 0.04) in alanine aminotransferase at week 2 and a statistically significant decrease (p < 0.04) in total cholesterol in the AdoMet group compared with the placebo group.
CONCLUSIONS: AdoMet at a daily dose of 800 mg for 4 weeks does not appear to significantly affect Hcy levels in the blood.
I'm not sure about that study I posted yesterday which I'm quoting above. According to another study, it seems if methylfolate is added then SAMe is more effective and the first study didn't use methylfolate so we don't really know what the effects of the two are on homocysteine.
The methylation, neurotransmitter, and antioxidant connections between folate and depression.
Depression is common - one-fourth of the US population will have a depressive episode sometime in life. Folate deficiency is also relatively common in depressed people, with approximately one-third of depressed individuals having an outright deficiency. Folate is a water-soluble B-vitamin necessary for the proper biosynthesis of the monoamine neurotransmitters serotonin, epinephrine, and dopamine. The active metabolite of folate, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF, L-methylfolate), participates in re-methylation of the amino acid metabolite homocysteine, creating methionine. S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), the downstream metabolite of methionine, is involved in numerous biochemical methyl donation reactions, including reactions forming monoamine neurotransmitters. Without the participation of 5-MTHF in this process, SAMe and neurotransmitter levels decrease in the cerebrospinal fluid, contributing to the disease process of depression. SAMe supplementation was shown to improve depressive symptoms. 5-MTHF also appears to stabilize, enhance production of, or possibly act as a substitute for, tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), an essential cofactor in monoamine neurotransmitter biosynthesis. There are few intervention studies of folic acid or 5-MTHF as a stand-alone treatment for depression related to folate deficiency; however, the studies that have been conducted are promising. Depressed individuals with low serum folate also tend to not respond well to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant drugs. Correcting the insufficiency by dosing folate along with the SSRI results in a significantly better antidepressant response.
Altern Med Rev. 2008 Sep;13(3):216-26