• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Nutritional Composition of Red Meat

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Key Points
Lean red meats are:

An excellent source of high biological value protein, vitamin B12, niacin, vitamin B6,
iron, zinc and phosphorus

A source of long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fats, riboflavin, pantothenic acid,
selenium and possibly also vitamin D

Mostly low in fat and sodium

Sources of a range of endogenous antioxidants and other bioactive substances
including taurine, carnitine, carnosine, ubiquinone, glutathione and creatine.

http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewconten...7550,d.dGI#search="nutrient content red meat"

LaurieL

Seeing the nutrient content, its sort of interesting that those nutrients are very similar in what I found supplementation to be beneficial to me as well. I am sort of drawing inference to the fact that many of us require these in extra amounts. I am kind of wondering if anyones early response to this disease mirrors my own, in that when I first became sick, I absolutely had to have a high protein diet or I could not function at any level. I craved protein, I couldn't get enough.

Its interesting that the nutrients found in red meat, are all over this forum, dont you think? :)

Lauriel

*GG*

What is "classified" as a lean red meat? I eat quit a bit of steak tips and chicken for lunch, with a veggie, now brocoli, (used to be carrots) since it is low carb.

GG

PS I read an article on Mercola recently where Vitamin D is discussed with pork (bacon), I believe the study is old and not sure how reliable.

sandgroper

3 pieces of scotch fillet this week.....Yum and good for me too...thanks Heaps
I eat it coz i have trouble cooking and its quick and easy and does not produce
cravings (unlike starchy things)

heapsreal

i remember reading along time ago of the nutrients in meat, but i think that sometimes we are brain washed into thinking that we need fruit and veges for vitamins etc but meat is never really mentioned and meat is probably more nutrient dense then any other one particular food source. I also remember reading stuff on the anti atkins low carb diets saying that they are low in many vitamins etc i think they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I think alot of info or tales are repeated that much that they are just taken as gospel without actually looked into. Im not saying no fruit and veg but meat is a good source of nutrients and even contains omega 3 fats which one would think we only get from fish.

So enjoy a nice big steak, yum!!

Seewell

Since being ill i dont know why but i have become so sensitive to good or bad food.If i buy run of the mill
pork from the supermarket it makes me fell sick.But if i buy it from a local farm that sells free range pork
i feel like i get a real boost from it.Could be happy pigs,i dont know. uumm um

peggy-sue

I had a cat with remarkably good taste. He wouldn't eat meat (or cheese) that came from groTesco.
He spat it out.:p He liked proper meat, from the butcher.

Rib-eye steak with gorgonzola melted on top.... garlic mushrooms...

IreneF

The nutrient composition of red meat varies depending on the animal's diet. Grass-fed beef, for example has a more favorable lipid (fat) profile than grain-fed beef. Most cattle are "finished" on grain before slaughter, alas, even if they grazed for most of their lives.

The US Dept of Ag has several databases that provide all sorts of nutritional info. I think the USDA dietary recommendation aren't that great--they want you to drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of grains--but the raw data is there.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Since being ill i dont know why but i have become so sensitive to good or bad food.If i buy run of the mill
pork from the supermarket it makes me fell sick.But if i buy it from a local farm that sells free range pork
i feel like i get a real boost from it.Could be happy pigs,i dont know. uumm um
It could also be genetic difference. The pigs raised to produce run of the mill supermarket pork are pretty much genetic freaks. I doubt that they could survive outside. The local farmer who raised free range pigs probably uses an older type of pig.

Seewell

It could also be genetic difference. The pigs raised to produce run of the mill supermarket pork are pretty much genetic freaks. I doubt that they could survive outside. The local farmer who raised free range pigs probably uses an older type of pig.

Good point,i also read somewhere when they are you know what,if they are in a stressed state it effects the meat.
Its real horrible when u think about it..

Timaca

The problems with red meat consumption include increased risk of cancer. And too much protein of any kind can lead to osteoporosis. See "Reduce your Cancer Risk" and "Strengthen Your Bones" here: http://tinascocina.com/healthy-eating/ (Yes, this is my blog ;) ). And if you want a good recipe, I just put one up yesterday for granola "bars". :)

Best,

heapsreal

The problems with red meat consumption include increased risk of cancer. And too much protein of any kind can lead to osteoporosis. See "Reduce your Cancer Risk" and "Strengthen Your Bones" here: http://tinascocina.com/healthy-eating/ (Yes, this is my blog ;) ). And if you want a good recipe, I just put one up yesterday for granola "bars". :)

Best,

I have read the opposite actually, high carbs causes insulin resistance which would increase cancers risks, cardiac issues etc etc

peggy-sue

Of course you don't get good meat from abused and stressed animals which have been bred for fast growth and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and kept in animal equivalents of Guantanamo Bay!

And I wonder about the sort of people who don't care about that going on, too.

The really big "meat" problem, health-wise is processed stuff and all the vile additives that go into those.

Shoesies

Of course you don't get good meat from abused and stressed animals which have been bred for fast growth and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and kept in animal equivalents of Guantanamo Bay!

And I wonder about the sort of people who don't care about that going on, too.

The really big "meat" problem, health-wise is processed stuff and all the vile additives that go into those.

Yes, yes, yes!! To all the above. I will not buy my meat in the supermarket...I do buy at Whole Foods..but mostly our meat comes from the local farm. No hormones, no antibiotics, grass fed...and we get pork there too. Went to tour the farm first..I just hate what they do in feed lots and slaughter houses. We also get a lot of venison here in the mountains.

Ema

This is absolutely bunk based on junk science. We must read beyond the headlines!

http://www.policymic.com/articles/5393/red-meat-does-not-raise-risk-of-cancer-heart-disease

The authors defended both the data they utilized and the study's methodology, but the fact remains that observational research doesn't compare to clinical research. And on that score, it is fair to say that red meat in your diet is perfectly healthy, and in greater quantities than those recommended in the current study.
Also noteworthy is the fact that the solid association between meat consumption and cancer and cardiovascular disease is anything but. Many statistical studies of the link between red meat consumption and colorectal cancer, for example, have revealed no correlation between the two. Similarly, as Dr. Michael Eades points out, low-carbohydrate diets (which generally include a lot of red meat) help people avoid these medical conditions.
Additionally, and ironically, previous research has shown that vegetarians don't live any longer than the rest of us, and are more likely to suffer from several serious diseases.

Ema

jimells

The livestock breeding programs are disturbing and in many ways short-sighted.Too much inbreeding creates bad genetic defects and tends to make the animals susceptible to disease, in addition to disease encouraged by overcrowding and poor sanitation. That's one reason they have to feed all those antibiotics. The trend is toward a few standard breeds, even fewer sires, so that if a new disease develops, a huge proportion of all the livestock may become ill, requiring disposal, and causing shortages and price spikes. The same approach is used with field crops such as corn, soybeans, and wheat. If a third of the wheat crop is all one variety, which succumbs to some fungus, people depending on affordable wheat are in big trouble. But why should Cargill, Monsanto, and ADM care - they can always make money on something else.

A long time ago I raised a bunch of meat chickens to sell at the farmers market. The day-old chicks had all the smarts bred right out of them. I build their portable pen/shelter with a perch, just like I did for my egg-laying hens. But the meat birds were so dumb, they didn't know what the perch was for. I used to drag their pen around the dooryard every day or two, so they could have fresh grass. When the pen started moving, they would just stand there and let the pen run over their feet, unless someone moved 'em back with a broom. Poor critters!

But they were awfully good eating - 1/2 half a breast would fill your dinner plate. Yum.