• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and Folate Ratio Evolutionary Theory

Lotus97

I've been looking at the amount of folate and B12 in foods and it seems there's actually a decent amount of folate in foods (both folinic acid and methylfolate). However, the B12 amount in foods is extremely low. Even if there was an equal amount of B12 and folate my understanding is that the absorption rate of B12 taken orally is very low. Why do people need to take B12 sublinguals? Is this only for people with chronic illness and most people don't need B12?

arx

I've been looking at the amount of folate and B12 in foods and it seems there's actually a decent amount of folate in foods (both folinic acid and methylfolate).

Yes,but some people do not convert to the active form,which is methylfolate. It is said that consuming active+ inactive forms might in fact block the absorption of the active form.

However, the B12 amount in foods is extremely low. Even if there was an equal amount of B12 and folate my understanding is that the absorption rate of B12 taken orally is very low. Why do people need to take B12 sublinguals? Is this only for people with chronic illness and most people don't need B12?

Why do people need to take B12 sublinguals? It is because the absorption rate of B12 taken orally is very low!!
Most people might have B12 in their bodies,and might not be deficient. Many are,though. Establishing a deficiency with the references of the medical world is very well a chaos and with a 200-900 pg/ml test range, many might not be deficient. But they do show signs and Fred says one 5 star sublingual can very well determine if a person has deficiency or not, by analyzing the startup effects from the sublingual. He has written much on folate and vegetable folate. Look for past discussions and threads on folate by Rich and Fred, you'll find a lot of answers and hypothesis.

People who are chronically ill because of B12 will need the sublinguals!

juniemarie

I am on the Perque hydroxy b12 and do fine with it but have been toying with the idea of trying methyl b12. I would be curious to find out what kind of startup reaction to look for to determine if I need methyl b 12.

Lotus97

According to Rich, naturally occuring folate in vegetables (and I assume in most foods) is both methylfolate and folinic acid. In most people (and I'm just referring to people in these forums), folinic acid does not block methylfolate absorption and is also readily converted into methylfolate as well as other things the body needs to function properly. Up until very recently, people were getting an adequate amount of reduced folate in their diet.

arx

I am on the Perque hydroxy b12 and do fine with it but have been toying with the idea of trying methyl b12. I would be curious to find out what kind of startup reaction to look for to determine if I need methyl b 12.

I experienced intensification of already present symptoms and addition of more symptoms. I called that startup. There are many threads where people have described their startup experiences. Caution: Some symptoms may be caused because of low potassium

arx

According to Rich, naturally occuring folate in vegetables (and I assume in most foods) is both methylfolate and folinic acid. In most people (and I'm just referring to people in these forums), folinic acid does not block methylfolate absorption and is also readily converted into methylfolate as well as other things the body needs to function properly. Up until very recently, people were getting an adequate amount of reduced folate in their diet.

How do you know that folinic acid does not block methylfolate absorption?

Lotus97

I experienced intensification of already present symptoms and addition of more symptoms. I called that startup. There are many threads where people have described their startup experiences. Caution: Some symptoms may be caused because of low potassium
Adreno (who started the thread about tachycardia) is pretty experienced, I don't think you could call his symptoms "start up". I also posted more about the other overmethylation symptoms besides low potassium in this thread
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...xicity-type-sypmtoms.18904/page-4#post-331008
How do you know that folinic acid does not block methylfolate absorption?
Rich believes this is rare even among the CFS/ME commmunity
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...titude-induced-hypokalemia.11910/#post-203596