• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bob Miller on Hunger Strike: Send This 1-Minute Email to Get FDA Approval for Ampligen

View the Post on the Blog

by Sasha

Bob Miller has started a hunger strike to push for FDA approval of Ampligen. He and his wife, Courtney Alexander, who are well-known for drawing President Obama’s attention to the plight of people with ME/CFS, urge us not to do the same.

Instead, they’d like us to send the email below, alerting key decision-makers to his strike, to add pressure to approve Ampligen as a therapy for ME/CFS.

The FDA is expected to announced its decision sometime around Sunday 2nd February – this Sunday – so there’s no time to lose.

Wherever you are in the world, please use Bob's template to email, and do it right now. It takes less than a minute: I’ve already sent mine.

Bob's message

Yesterday January 29th, I began a hunger strike seeking FDA approval of Ampligen, the only medication in FDA-approved clinical trials for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, (ME/CFS).

The FDA Advisory Committee voted Ampligen is safe given the serious nature of CFS and the critical unmet need of patients.

Please support access to Ampligen for ALL ME/CFS PATIENTS by sending a note like the one below to the Secretary of Health Kathleen Sebelius, Assistant Secretary of Health Dr Howard Koh, FDA Commissioner Dr Margaret Hamburg, and FDA CDER Director Dr Janet Woodcock and Deputy Director Dr Sandra Kweder.

You can just copy and paste the email below.

Please also email or call your Congressional Representatives and Senators (look them up here and just click on your state) and ask them to investigate why the FDA refuses to approve the ONLY medication for CFS despite safe testing for 20 years. This is a health crisis!

The email

Click here to create your email automatically - all you then need to do is add your name, address, and number of years ill, and any personal message you'd like to add, and click Send.

To: kathleen.sebelius@hhs.gov, margaret.hamburg@fda.hhs.gov, janet.woodcock@fda.hhs.gov,

sandra.kweder@fda.hhs.gov, howard.koh@hhs.gov, ash@hhs.gov,

bobmiller42@gmail.com

Subject: CFS patient starts hunger strike for FDA approval of Ampligen

“Long-time ME/CFS patient Robert Miller from Reno, Nevada began a hunger strike in advance of the FDA’s Feb. 2nd deadline to decide on Ampligen, the ONLY medication in clinical trials for my illness. I support Mr. Miller because my life has been stolen by ME/CFS and I need real treatment options. We have waited 20 years, and we can’t wait any longer. The FDA Advisory Committee voted Ampligen is safe enough to market because CFS is so serious and there are NO medications to treat patients. Please don’t let the FDA reject the only medication CFS patients can hope for any time soon.”

Your Full Name Here:
Address Here:
Years ill:

View the Post on the Blog

I didn't write anything to dispute any of that, like I said I fully support the cause and would love to see Ampligen approved. My concern is over supporting extreme tactics like hunger strike and whether that would actually help or harm the cause. It may help but we should not overlook the harm it could do. Historically extreme action of that nature whether real or perceived has been a disaster for the community, it has reinforced prejudices of us being a crazy irrational and has provided ammunition that has been very successfully and repeatedly used against us. It brings no evidence or rational argument to the table and may even be taken as a sign that we have run out and so are resorting to other strategies.

Was Ghandi perceived as nuts? No, he was perceived as an annoyance by the British and a hero by the people. Either way, he got what he wanted, which was to get India independent of British rule.

I am going to forward my email to NBC news to Human Rights Watch NYC.
http://www.hrw.org/contact-us#NewYork

Done. Here is my submission to the Human Rights organization. It can also be tweaked to send to NBC, CBS, and ABC. Copy if you would like.

An NBC affiliate in Reno, NV, ran a story about a CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) patient, Robert Miller, who is speaking out concerning the FDA's possible disapproval of Ampligen, the first and only drug with proven safety, and effectiveness for a subset of the 1 million U.S. CFS patient population.

The patient community's need for treatment is so urgent that Bob is using a hunger strike as a tactic to attract attention to the forthcoming approval/disapproval of Ampligen. Ampligen is the first and only drug in the pipeline for CFS patients, and it’s been in the pipeline for twenty years. Ampligen has improved lives for so many. Ampligen patients were able to go back to prior employment. They rejoiced in the ability to live their lives again, but without Ampligen they will backslide right into their beds and remain there until another treatment comes around. With Ampligen’s disapproval, it is unlikely that CFS will see new drugs in the near future.

I would ask you to bring this newsworthy event to a broader audience, national if you will, so the public will know the plight of CFS patients with regard to Ampligen, a drug which the patient population has waited 20 years to hear "Approved!" by the FDA..

Respectfully,

YOUR NAME
YOUR CITY, STATE

Has backing this tactic really been thought through, do we want to be promoting the message that hunger strike is a legitimate campaigning tool. I fully support cause and publicising the supporting evidence but the decision should be based on the strength of the evidence alone not coerced under threat of self harm. It may well even backfire as decision makers would not want to risk it appearing as if such actions are effective.

If Bob doesn't get Ampligen, his quality of life will be so poor that he might as well be dead. That's the message. Ampligen is safe and effective for a subset of patients. The FDA is still waffling, for no apparent reason. This battle with getting Ampligen approved has been going on for at least 20 years!

I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories, but think about this - if the FDA approves Ampligen, it means the govt. admits that ME/CFS is indeed a real and very serious biologically based disease which can be treated with an approved medicine. It also means that they admit that the last 30 years of psychologically based research from the CDC is a total sham. If you were the govt. wouldn't you waffle?
Hi all, Day 6... I am low on energy, but I would like to make a few thing clear:
1. I am not doing this only for the approval of Ampligen, that is only a heavy straw FDA has placed on our illness, I do this for the patients suffering daily, and yes that includes me, but I have children and what if one day they get ill, I must do whatever it takes to Awaken our federal health agencies.
2.As far as what will the medical establishment think, I can only tell you what the experts in the field think including CFSAC, they know me and know I am of sound mind and that includes FDA and HHS.
3.The evidence, if one is unwilling to hear the evidence, it does not matter what one says. At the FDA panel meeting, the Sponsor tried to address concerns of FDA several time, but the chair would not recognize the Sponsor to respond. You will need to watch the Webcast.

Thank you all for the support,
Bob Miller

I'm going to call the Wall Street Journal, 212.416.2000 and the Washington Post, 212.334.6000 and USA Today,
703.276.3400 about our campaign and the interesting delay. I read it's best to call directly to get a news story in a paper. Perhaps our efforts are having some effect as I imagine it's strange for the FDA to overshoot a due date.

Good luck to us all. Take care Bob.

Hi all, Day 6... I am low on energy, but I would like to make a few thing clear:
1. I am not doing this only for the approval of Ampligen, that is only a heavy straw FDA has placed on our illness, I do this for the patients suffering daily, and yes that includes me, but I have children and what if one day they get ill, I must do whatever it takes to Awaken our federal health agencies.
2.As far as what will the medical establishment think, I can only tell you what the experts in the field think including CFSAC, they know me and know I am of sound mind and that includes FDA and HHS.
3.The evidence, if one is unwilling to hear the evidence, it does not matter what one says. At the FDA panel meeting, the Sponsor tried to address concerns of FDA several time, but the chair would not recognize the Sponsor to respond. You will need to watch the Webcast.

Thank you all for the support,
Bob Miller

Thanks, Bob - you clearly have not only a sound mind but an exceptionally strong one! I hope you're taking very good care of yourself.

Bob has an update for Day 6.

Thanks, Kati - Bob says in this video (in which he really doesn't appear well at all and says he was going into kidney failure so is now on a saline drip) that he wants us to keep emailing and (for US people) writing to our representatives, use our media contacts and send any contacts to him at bobmiller42 [a] gmail.com.

He says it's looking unlikely that Ampligen will be approved by the FDA and that the decision might come today - but he's clearly got some plans for what to do if the decision goes against us.

I'm going to call the Wall Street Journal, 212.416.2000 and the Washington Post, 212.334.6000 and USA Today,
703.276.3400 about our campaign and the interesting delay. I read it's best to call directly to get a news story in a paper. Perhaps our efforts are having some effect as I imagine it's strange for the FDA to overshoot a due date.

Great stuff!

There's a press release out now:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ess-release-do-you-have-media-contacts.21669/

Rooney just sparked an idea in me, and I sent an email to Amy Dockerson Marcus of the Wall Street Journal along with Bob's press release. Unfortunately, the email bounced back to me saying "server error: invalid recepient". I obtained her address from a recent article that she wrote in Jan 2013. If anyone has another address besides amy.marcus@wsj.com please let me know. Otherwise, I will try sending again this afternoon directly from my email instead of using the link from the WSJ.

Hang in everyone and prayers going up for Bob!

Rooney just sparked an idea in me, and I sent an email to Amy Dockerson Marcus of the Wall Street Journal along with Bob's press release. Unfortunately, the email bounced back to me saying "server error: invalid recepient". I obtained her address from a recent article that she wrote in Jan 2013. If anyone has another address besides amy.marcus@wsj.com please let me know. Otherwise, I will try sending again this afternoon directly from my email instead of using the link from the WSJ.

Hang in everyone and prayers going up for Bob!
Good idea - she seems to have a LinkedIn page but I've no clue how to access that stuff:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/amy-dockser-marcus/7/9b7/b24

Can she be phoned at the WSJ?

Thanks, Kati - Bob says in this video (in which he really doesn't appear well at all and says he was going into kidney failure so is now on a saline drip) that he wants us to keep emailing and (for US people) writing to our representatives, use our media contacts and send any contacts to him at bobmiller42 [a] gmail.com.

He says it's looking unlikely that Ampligen will be approved by the FDA and that the decision might come today - but he's clearly got some plans for what to do if the decision goes against us.

I don't believe Bob said he was on IV saline, he said he was drinking a saline solution

If you click on the YouTube link on Bob's video, then it will open up in YouTube. Then click on the Share tab. You can share the video on your Facebook, Twitter etc. I've been doing a Facebook share for each new video.