• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. DeMeirleir speaking Jan 28/13

Kati

Patient in training
liquid sky, if the writer is sick like you and me, you'd have a bit more compassion.

i don't believe there was promises as of when a report would be written.

liquid sky

Kati, I thought this was going to be posted by WPI on their site and something I read yesterday said it would be yesterday. I did not realize that it was being done by someone who is sick like us. If that is so, I have not seen it in the postings I have read.

If a patient is doing this, I thank them and will wait patiently.

Daffodil

arent you guys used to waiting yet? i would be surprised if anything to do with CFS was on time! lol

demeirleir didn't speak about his upcoming paper so there isnt anything confidential to report about

Kati

Patient in training
liquid sky the truth is i don't know if it will be a patient or an employee or a volunteer who will write up a report. However, in all eventualities, organizing and hosting a conference is a stressful and exhausting time, at best.

I am also impatient about the next paper to be published, but in the grand scheme of things, it will not change my day to day life.

Daffodil indeed, waiting is my speciality... i am learning not to wait so much.

liquid sky

Thanks. Sushi.

"Dr. De Meirleir concluded his talk with a detailed slide describing the various pathways that are disrupted in ME and several other autoimmune diseases. He spoke about a continuum of autoimmune diseases including ME, lupus, RA, type 1 diabetes, and remitting MS that involve a dysregulation of two important immunological pathways, 2’-5’OA synthetase and Th1/Th2 immunity."

Sounding more like autoimmune pathology. @ kati, this will affect my day to day life. I have a decision to make soon and wanted to research what demeirleir had to say. This paragraph may help a little.

"I am also impatient about the next paper to be published, but in the grand scheme of things, it will not change my day to day life." quote by kati

I'm not sure why the font changed. Guess it's from the quote.

Leachim

I wonder if the origin of the illness is genetic, like a genetic immune dysfunction. It's the big hit from EBV or HHV-6, or Lyme that we can't ignore and see as "the beginning", but our immune systems may have been struggling long before.

KDM's model for it, as I've learned from other presentations and some bits that he has given to me at the consultations, is that there are several predisposing factors that leads to the vulnerability for certain infections. Some are genetic, at my last consultation he talked about a genetically based weakness in the Th1 immunity, which then would lead to greater risk for persistency in infections like EBV, bartonella and borrelia, and a greater risk for the Th1->Th2 shift that usually is a part of ME. But he has also talked a lot about gut dysbiosis as a cause of disruption of the immune system - dysbiosis is almost universally present in ME patients, and he thinks the dysbiosis comes first, causing what he calls a "pre-ME"-state. I think they do some research at his university about the gut flora and it's connection to conditions like ADHD and autism. Due to the immune dysfunctions the body can't get rid of certain infections well enough, and dormant viruses like herpes viruses get reactivated much more often than normal. The infections disrupt the immune system even more (pathogens often have specific mechanisms for doing just that), and at some point the load is so big that there's an ME outbreak. It makes total sense that an infection with something like EBV, bartonella or borrelia could be the tipping point since those are pathogens that are especially cumbersome for the immune system.

I guess we'll have to wait another month for the new info on auto-immunity until the article is published, but I'm also anxious to see this presentation since I think it's been a few years since KDM has summarized his model and his treatment approach in a lecture (AFAIK). My guess is that his treatment approach isn't going to change very much because of this auto-immune mechanism, it's probably still the complex of immune dysfunction (including gut dysbiosis) and persistent infections that needs to be treated to reduce the auto-immune activity. Medicine hasn't come very far on the road to finding ways to stop auto-immunity, maybe approaches like KDM's that focus on the immune dysfunctions that might be what triggers the auto-immunity is a way forward?

Daffodil

i agree that the treatment approaches won't change that soon, since KDM has probably suspected auto-immunity for quite some time. still, i do hear rumors of new treatments coming at some point.

wondre if autism will be categorized as an autoimmune disease as well.

SOC

Leachim, your explanation makes sense to me. The only thing in it that I still haven't sorted out for myself is the whole gut thing. I am one of the few fortunate PWME with no GI problems. My digestive system is probably the only system that doesn't give me trouble. :) So if I have a gut dysbiosis, it would have to be something that doesn't give noticeable symptoms -- which is possible.

The more I look at genetic immune abnormality, the more likely it looks to be an issue for me. On the same side of the family I have Hodgkin's Lymphoma in at least 3 generations, a cousin who had severe (quad) paralysis from polio, and an overall shortened lifespan by about 10 years in the family. All would fit with a weak immune system.

Daffodil

SOC.....i think that we have GI issues even if we have no symptoms, but i am not sure...

i wonder why autoimmune diseases are on the rise. they used to be a anomaly and now every other person i meet seems to have one!

snowathlete

He has done some videos that i think are recent on youtube and on a dutch (i think) site, and these might talk about his current model, but he speaks in dutch in them, so not much use to me...

Anyone speak Dutch? If you do and want to let us know what he says then i can try and locate which site they were on.

SOC

SOC.....i think that we have GI issues even if we have no symptoms, but i am not sure...

Probably. :rolleyes: Like I need another thing going wrong. ;) Seriously, though, with so much immune stuff going on in the gut, it's probably guaranteed there's something not working right there, it's just not manifesting in overt symptoms in people like me.

i wonder why autoimmune diseases are on the rise. they used to be a anomaly and now every other person i meet seems to have one!

Some of it may be as simple as they've only learned about autoimmune diseases fairly recently, so people weren't diagnosed with it, even though they had it -- so some of the increase could be due simply to increased diagnosis.

Daffodil

thats true.

i think 80% of our lymph tissue is in the gut....or something?

my friend has reiter's syndrome which he developed immediately after an unprotected sexual encounter some 25 yrs ago. he also has severe IBS and has bowel movements / diarrhea several times a day. i often wondered if this wasnt due to the inflammation cause by the reiter's syndrome, but now i wonder if the reiter's syndrome was caused by a pre-existing gut inflammatory situation!

Leachim

I have never had any GI symptoms and have always had a ”steel stomach” (don't know if that's an expression i english, but it is in swedish!). Yet my fecal analysis showed a large overgrowth of prevotella, too little of lactobacillus and almost no bifidobacteria (which some call THE gut bacteria of health). Prevotella is present in the normal flora, and part of the population has quite a proportion, but not that much and it needs to be in balance with other bacteria as I've understood it. Prevotella produces a lot of hydrogen sulfide, amongst other things.

He has done some videos that i think are recent on youtube and on a dutch (i think) site, and these might talk about his current model, but he speaks in dutch in them, so not much use to me...

Anyone speak Dutch? If you do and want to let us know what he says then i can try and locate which site they were on.

The videos are on this site and will be translated in english, but it will take some time.
There will be some new videos too.