• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplement that seems to be helping with energy

SOC

As a general rule I don't take this kind of product because it has a bazillion components so it is hard to tell what's helping and what's harming. In this case I was looking for a supplement to support my daughter's diet as I suspected that she wasn't eating properly at college.

I was looking for one that has veggies, berries and other antioxidants. Among the variety that I found, this one also had probiotics, fiber, liver support and medicinal mushrooms, so I thought, "what the heck" and invested in a couple of bottles.

Daughter said she felt a lot better within a couple of days -- more mental and physical energy. When she quit taking it, she noticed a big difference. After a couple of months, I decided to try it, too. I was very surprised to notice how quickly I noticed an improvement in energy. I've used it on and off for more than a year and always feel better on it.

I really don't know what about this product is making us feel better. It might be the immune supporting medicinal mushrooms, I suppose, but really it could be any of a number of the components.

I have no idea if this product (which is kinda pricey -- ~$1.25 daily) will be of any help to anyone else, but I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else wants to give it a go.

Paradise Herbs ORAC-Energy Greens
http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-ORAC-Energy-Greens-120-Veggie-Caps/23550

It also comes in a cheaper powder form and a powder form with pea protein added.

Sorry to sound like a commercial. :redface: I'm not trying to push the product, just figured it wouldn't hurt to share something unexpected that is working for us.

searcher

Funny coincidence, I have had the powder version in my cart on amazon for the last couple of days so your post has inspired me to actually try it. I think the powder version works out to be cheaper (about 90c a day on iherb and a little less on amazon), although you have to buy a larger quantity. It seems like a good combination, and since green veggies and medicinal mushrooms have been more obviously beneficial to me than any other supplement (other than methyl-b12+folate) it seemed like it had the potential to be helpful.

I sound like an infomercial too :) Thanks for the tip.

For those interested, http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-ORAC-Energy-Greens-12-8-oz-364-g/ is the powder form-- the other powders they make seem to have a lot less veggies so may not be as powerful.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This is interesting. I've read that isolating anti-oxidants from food doesn't work (maybe even makes things worse) so you need to eat the whole food and the good stuff might not even be the anti-oxidants but it ought to be good to get more veggies and berries down our necks. Problem for PWME is the preparation - I have trouble preparing food. I love the idea of a meal in a pill!

I wish there was a product that didn't have the medicinal herbs & mushrooms & probiotics in it. It's essentially a random drug treatment! I'd be worried about it mucking up what I'm already trying (MAF 878 among other things). I'm glad it's working for you and your daughter though, SOC! If what I'm trying now hasn't worked after a good trial, I'll keep this on my list.

Is there any kind of similar stuff but without the herbs, mushrooms and probiotics?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I really like this one, and it's gluten free:

http://www.neurobiologix.com/product-p/56.htm
Thanks - it doesn't have the herbs, at least, but it's got probiotics (which I want to avoid in case it interferes with my MAF 878 treatment, which is essentially a spectacular probiotic!).

I hadn't previously heard of these kind of products. They're like astronaut food!

Just need to find one without the probiotics...

perchance dreamer

Are digestive enzymes, such as the ones in the NeuroBiologix product, the same as probiotics? I was assuming they were different, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Are digestive enzymes, such as the ones in the NeuroBiologix product, the same as probiotics? I was assuming they were different, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're right, digestive enzymes aren't probiotics but confusingly, for that product, under the 'digestive enzymes' heading they list a bunch of enzymes and then some probiotics.

perchance dreamer

That is bad labeling, Sasha. I'm glad you pointed that out because I need to start taking oregano oil and other antibiotic-like supplements away from when I drink the SuperGreens since they have probiotics.

jeffrez

Holy crap, you'd live to be 120 on that stuff. Looks like an awesome product, but with all those adaptogens I would just take a break from it every once in a while. I would definitely try that if not allergic to all the wheat grasses, etc.

SOC

This is interesting. I've read that isolating anti-oxidants from food doesn't work (maybe even makes things worse) so you need to eat the whole food and the good stuff might not even be the anti-oxidants but it ought to be good to get more veggies and berries down our necks. Problem for PWME is the preparation - I have trouble preparing food. I love the idea of a meal in a pill!

I wish there was a product that didn't have the medicinal herbs & mushrooms & probiotics in it. It's essentially a random drug treatment! I'd be worried about it mucking up what I'm already trying (MAF 878 among other things). I'm glad it's working for you and your daughter though, SOC! If what I'm trying now hasn't worked after a good trial, I'll keep this on my list.

Is there any kind of similar stuff but without the herbs, mushrooms and probiotics?

I wouldn't take this if I was taking an immune modulating med, either -- way too easy to muck something up.

If you don't mind a powder form, Madre Labs has a greens formula (Midori Greens) and a berry/fruit formula (Eureka! Berries) that appear to have no probiotics or immune modulating supplements. I've tried Madre Labs' Immune Punch when I got some as a freebie and it was pretty good stuff.

I wanted a pill form because I figured it was a lot more likely to get down my daughter's throat than a greens drink. Unfortunately, pill form is hard to find -- probably because you have to take so many (8 in the case of ORAC-Energy) to get the full "dose".

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I wouldn't take this if I was taking an immune modulating med, either -- way too easy to muck something up.

If you don't mind a powder form, Madre Labs has a greens formula (Midori Greens) and a berry/fruit formula (Eureka! Berries) that appear to have no probiotics or immune modulating supplements. I've tried Madre Labs' Immune Punch when I got some as a freebie and it was pretty good stuff.

I wanted a pill form because I figured it was a lot more likely to get down my daughter's throat than a greens drink. Unfortunately, pill form is hard to find -- probably because you have to take so many (8 in the case of ORAC-Energy) to get the full "dose".

Thanks - I'll look into those.

8 pills, argh...

L'engle

moogle
I've been looking into various greens. The one you list looks great in terms of not having filler. I'd like to shop locally but the greens at the stores here seem to have lecithin and fillers and are also pricy. I'm considering getting the Midori greens, since I'd rather have one that doesn't have probiotics, enzymes or cordyceps. The Midori powder is expensive but I figure I would only take a half scoop per day and it would work out to $10 per month. My only misgiving with that one is the green tea which I can't have too much of. The reviews are great but some of that may be caffeine related from the green tea. The sample I tried seemed pretty great.

*GG*

I have no idea if this product (which is kinda pricey -- ~$1.25 daily) will be of any help to anyone else, but I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else wants to give it a go.

Paradise Herbs ORAC-Energy Greens
http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-ORAC-Energy-Greens-120-Veggie-Caps/23550

It also comes in a cheaper powder form and a powder form with pea protein added.

Sorry to sound like a commercial. :redface: I'm not trying to push the product, just figured it wouldn't hurt to share something unexpected that is working for us.

The product costs about $20, and you say it costs about $1.25/day. So does that mean you are supposed to take 6 capsules/day?

GG

taniaaust1

Thanks. I think I have a free sample of this about the place which Ive never tried. With your post when I find that sample again.. Im going to trial it (even if it is only one or two doses.. it may be worth trialing that). Thanks

L'engle

moogle
I tried out midori greens for a few days. It made me keyed up and now that I've stopped taking it I think I have to recover. It's probably great for someone with healthier adrenals who wants an alternative to coffee. I don't think I can tolerate it though..

SOC

I tried out midori greens for a few days. It made me keyed up and now that I've stopped taking it I think I have to recover. It's probably great for someone with healthier adrenals who wants an alternative to coffee. I don't think I can tolerate it though..
Sorry to hear that! Guess I'll stick to the ORAC-Energy Greens. So far it has not had a stimulating effect on me. I would hate being fatigued and keyed up. :confused: Hope you recover quickly. :hug: