• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and folate may help treat migraine

Sea

Do you have the MTHFR mutation that they're talking about Sushi?

Now I'm looking forward even more to my 23andme results

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Do you have the MTHFR mutation that they're talking about Sushi?

Now I'm looking forward even more to my 23andme results

No, I don't have the MTHFR mutation--that is probably why it doesn't help my migraines.

Sushi

Sea

No, I don't have the MTHFR mutation--that is probably why it doesn't help my migraines.

Sushi

Isn't it sad when we actually hope for a positive (as in bad) test result because it can lead to treatment instead of having no direction to go

taniaaust1

I have two copies (one from each parent) of the worst kind of MTHFR mutation (there is apparently a couple of different types). Thou I dont get migraines (my nanna does thou so I'll be telling her about this), I can say from my own experience it is highly important to be treating it "properly (with the correct types of folate and B12). Treating this mutation has highly improved my heat intollerance and is helping my POTS and also increasing my stamina a lot.

9-18% of the normal population is affected by this MTHFR polymorphism (I'd think the rates of this would be a lot higher amoung the ME/CFS communities) and it causes the most miscarriages of healthy pregnancies, a lot of strokes etc etc

Crux

Hi;
From my personal experience, B12, ( I take methylcobalamin), has stopped my migraines. I've had them on the right side of my head.
Recently, I've begun to have a recurrence of another type of headache that is sometimes called, occipital neuralgia. It originates at the back of the skull, where it meets the spine. I had these years ago. These recent headaches were caused from my taking high dose folate. ( methylfolate, and other folates)

Since I haven't had genetics testing yet, (low on dough), but I have had elevated serum folate in the past, it looks like I have trouble metabolizing folate.

I realize that many folks here do have SNPS that show they need extra folate, but I've seen some few have problems with it.

I'm responding here just in case anyone else is similar.

Crux

Also, I've had strong migraine type headaches from taking too many methyl group supplements, foods etc.
Today, I had extra caffeine, which contains methyl groups. The paradox is that caffeine helps many people with migraines.
The extra caffeine has left me headaching all day.

Sea

Also, I've had strong migraine type headaches from taking too many methyl group supplements, foods etc.
Today, I had extra caffeine, which contains methyl groups. The paradox is that caffeine helps many people with migraines.
The extra caffeine has left me headaching all day.

That's interesting Crux. I'm one of the ones that finds caffeine helpful. It's in my migraine medication.

So with the folate problem how do you go about getting the folate that your body needs? High serum folate doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting too much does it, but could also mean that you're not processing what you're getting?

Crux

Sea;

Hi Sea, Yes it's true that most people with migraines are helped with the use of caffeine. It has helped me in the past. Since I had such a strong inflammatory response to it these past 4 days, I began to wonder why.

One difference between now and the past, in my case, is that I've been taking supplements with methyl groups. Methylcobalamin, methylfolate, and maybe more that I don't know of yet. I suspect that I've over- dosed on the methyl groups, and caused inflammation in that way.

High serum folate can mean many things, such as that folate is trapped because there isn't enough B12 to help use it- true in my case. ( my folate levels did decrease into the high normal range when measured a year later, from continued use of high dose B12.)

It's that, I've found that too much folate supplementation, has also been pro-inflammatory. I believe this can be true for many folks.( some have reported this) I've been trying to find my limitations, personal needs.

I decided to report my findings here because, we're experimenting alot, and our reactions may be confusing.