• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MMS is it worth the risk?

Ok..this frightens me a bit more.. ive heard some personal success stories but this is starting to makebme question it..The only reason I took wikepedia with a grain of salt is because all my prifessors are sure to remind us to "never cite anything from Wikipedia because anyone can enter information and it is not always facts" but at the same time it seems most of what they is probably true in this case..:(( ive tried just about everything else and im out of funds so I figured with a doctor working with me it mught be a success..I talk to him thursday..such a hard choice...I figure with all ive been through whats the worse that can happen?? Because its probably already happened to me before

Overstressed

I tried it too and would never do it again. It almost burns even if you take it properly ..

I can't say what the risk of taking MMS is on the longer term, but some replies make me wonder if the MMS was prepared as it should be.

Ian, are you sure you let 3 drops of MMS react with 10 drops of citirc acid, and this for appr. 3 minutes? Did you then add a glas full of water to it and drank?
It burns a bit when you don't add water. I drank 3 glasses of water after the intial glas.

Best regards,
OS.

Yes I posted it in two threads..sorry I wasnt sure how this board worked so I figured id post it in more than one spot so more can view it..

I can't say what the risk of taking MMS is on the longer term, but some replies make me wonder if the MMS was prepared as it should be.

Ian, are you sure you let 3 drops of MMS react with 10 drops of citirc acid, and this for appr. 3 minutes? Did you then add a glas full of water to it and drank?
It burns a bit when you don't add water. I drank 3 glasses of water after the intial glas.

Best regards,
OS.
Did you have a positive experience with MMS? Any thoughts on it?

Overstressed

Did you have a positive experience with MMS? Any thoughts on it?

Hi Shannon,

For me personally, I must clearly say 'yes'. It still does, when I take it. To give you an example: when I take it, my tinnitus almost stops instantly.
But, there's also a downside: MMS might kill bugs, but it does not differentiate good from bad, or own and foreign. It depends how you look at it: is the glass half full, or empty.

I still regret I didn't give it to my father, the last days of his life. His immune system was crippled due to therapy and cancer. With barely 100 neutrophils, he got an e.coli infection and this killed him, in the end. MMS might had the potential to help him.

Best wishes,
OS.

Hi Shannon,

For me personally, I must clearly say 'yes'. It still does, when I take it. To give you an example: when I take it, my tinnitus almost stops instantly.
But, there's also a downside: MMS might kill bugs, but it does not differentiate good from bad, or own and foreign. It depends how you look at it: is the glass half full, or empty.

I still regret I didn't give it to my father, the last days of his life. His immune system was crippled due to therapy and cancer. With barely 100 neutrophils, he got an e.coli infection and this killed him, in the end. MMS might had the potential to help him.

Best wishes,
OS.
Sorry to hear that.. :(
Im glad to hear it worked for you, but with you said about it not knowing the difference between Good and Bad (thoight it could)
Im wondering what damage it could do to my already messed up stomach (years of antibiotics) AND, Is MMS something you continue to take for a long time, or is it pretty successful in a semi short period of time?.. I'm sure my doctor will tell me but I want to see what others do to make sure all the information he gives me is accurate

Wayne

Are there two threads with the same title? I commented and I know Wayne and others did too but that's not here?

I noticed some funny things going on with this thread a couple days ago. I couldn't find my posts, but when I went into my history of posts, they were right there. So I clicked on one, and they all showed up again in the thread. I just did the same thing, and it appears they're back for everybody to view. I don't know whether this post will show up, or whether my other posts will disappear again. This is enuf to give a person a "Rodney Dangerfield" complex. :p

kurt

So MMS has come up again?

I've taken MMS on and off for about four years now. At one time I took it regularly for over a year. But eventually I learned how much I could tolerate was higher than I needed, so I went down in dose to the minimal amount that was effective. The results were positive, MMS sometimes seemed to reduce or eliminate infections, and it seems to help my gut, as long as I take small doses regularly and not large doses once or twice daily as Jim Humble originally recommended.

I have stopped using MMS because I much prefer the pure chlorine dioxide form in CDS (Chlorine Dioxide Solution). This is a processed MMS where the gas produced is captured in water (some of the gas goes into solution). The result is much milder, easier to take, and actually seems to be more effective for me and a few others. Much of the bad taste and difficulty taking MMS is from the secondary chemicals used to create the chlorine dioxide, and those are all gone with CDS.

This is about CFS, but I have a relative who is using CDS as an adjunct to chemo therapy and her tumor markers went down so fast the cancer nurses said she should be celebrating, the drop was unusual. She also was able to stop chemo sooner than usual.

Regarding safety, I think we are sick enough that if it works for us, that is better than not treating. Anyway, the doctors writing against MMS are hypocritical if they don't also point out how many poisons are used in medicine already. The key factor with any treatment is the dose and that applies to MMS or CDS as well as any other medical intervention. Anyway, the FDA approves chlorine dioxide for human consumption at low amounts. The FDA allows chlorine dioxide to be sprayed on meats to kill bacteria and help preserve them, for us, the consumers. Also, as Wayne said, it is use in water purification. We already are exposed to chlorine dioxide regularly. The current medical issue with MMS is about dose and not about exposure. And my experience with dose is that it needs to be small. One drop can be too much for some people, so they can just use part of a drop at first (by throwing out some of the dilution).

Incidentally, CDS or MMS, either one, gives me more energy across the day, although sometimes there are some die-off symptoms.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Wayne

:p Here is a good guess: there were two threads by the same name is different subforums. You might have been looking in the duplicate thread for your posts. But when you looked under your posting history though, your posts in the other thread would show up under your name--with the same thread title.

They were merged this evening into one thread.

Sushi

Hip

Where chlorine dioxide is added to the drinking water supply, the safe concentration of chlorine dioxide is around 0.5 ppm. This level is approved as safe.

The CDS chlorine dioxide solutions I have seen for sale come in various different strengths, such as: 3000 ppm, 6000 ppm and 12,000 ppm chlorine dioxide concentration. Let's take the 6000 ppm chlorine dioxide concentration as our example.

If you were to put one drop of the 6000 ppm CDS into 250 ml of water in a glass, that glass of water would then have a chlorine dioxide concentration of around 1 ppm, according to my calculations. Since one drop of water is around 0.04 ml in volume, and so one drop into a glass of 250 ml of water is a dilution factor of 250 / 0.04 = 6250.

Each additional drop of 6000 ppm CDS you put into this glass of water will raise the chlorine dioxide concentration by 1 ppm. So 10 drops of 6000 ppm CDS will give you a 10 ppm concentration in your 250 ml glass of water.

It seems that the recommended therapeutic concentration of chlorine dioxide is 24 ppm (see this webpage here).

But it may be wise to reduce the therapeutic concentration that you use to below 24 ppm, so that you bring it closer to the 0.5 ppm concentration which is considered safe.

Thus instead of 24 ppm, you might say use say 5 ppm, for example.

And it may be safer and easier on the body to take 5 daily doses of 5 ppm, rather than one daily dose of 24 ppm. It may even be more effective this way.

Hip

It is interesting that chlorine dioxide is able to deactivate coxsackievirus B and echovirus, which are two enteroviruses linked to ME/CFS.

The study quoted below states that 17.25 ppm of chlorine dioxide achieved a 99.99% deactivation of coxsackievirus B5 in 5 minutes, in sewage effluent. Presumably, lower chlorine dioxide concentrations will be just as effective, but just take a little longer to deactivate the virus.

A main reservoir of these enteroviruses in the body appears to be in the gut. Though if chlorine dioxide was an effective treatment for enterovirus-associated ME/CFS, we would already know about it by now.

The behavior of viruses on disinfection by chlorine dioxide and other disinfectants in effluent

Steve Harakeh. 27 MAR 2006. DOI: 10.1111/j.1574-6968.1987.tb02311.x

A comparative study on the efficacy of chlorine dioxide, chlorine, ozone and peracetic acid in inactivating viruses was carried out against 6 viruses in a municipal sewage effluent. The viruses selected were bacteriophage f2 and poliovirus 1, which have been commonly used; also echovirus 1 and coxsackievirus B5 to extend the range of enteroviruses; and simian rotavirus (SA11) and human rotavirus, the latter being one of the most important enteric viral pathogens present in waste water. The results indicated a wide range in the response of these viruses to chlorine dioxide. Of the 3 enteroviruses tested, coxsackievirus B5 was the most resistant, with a dose of 17.25 ppm required for 99.99% inactivation in 5 min. In the case of the 2 rotaviruses tested, human rotavirus was distinctly more resistant than SA11. On the other hand, the other viruses tested responded differently to the other disinfectants. The most resistant virus on nearly all occasions under selected conditions was the human rotavirus; the least resistant virus was SA11. The enteroviruses, with phage, were somewhat similar in their response, although coxsackievirus B5 was usually the most resistant.

According to this source (also quoted below), chlorine dioxide taken orally is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, and the blood plasma half life of chlorine dioxide is 44 hours (in rat studies), which is quite a long time.

Chlorine dioxide is rapidly absorbed after oral admin, and plasma levels peak within 1 hr after dosing. 43% of admin dose was excreted in urine and feces within 72 hr. None was detected in expired air. The plasma half-life was ... 44 hr in rats.

National Research Council. Drinking Water & Health, Volume 4. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1981. 174

Undisclosed

I always look at the claims behind any substance and if they are correct. For MMS to work, it would have to get into our own blood supply via the GI tract and then selectively exert some kind of effect on bacteria, viruses, parasites and leave our own cells alone. This is a problem with mainstream medications. For example, the reasons why side-effects are so devastating with chemotherapy is that they can't seem to devise a pharmaceutical that selectively kills the cancer cells and leaves normal cells alone so people suffer nasty side-effects. As we know, any bleach compound when applied to a surface will kill all sorts of pathogens as well as human cells. I haven't really seen any research that says MMS is not deactivated as soon as it hits the stomach. I know MMS has been banned in Canada by Health Canada as a dangerous substance which is worrying.

I look at what any substance is supposed to treat. When something is touted as a cure for AIDS, Malaria, etc, etc, I naturally am skeptical. I look for research. I look at the chemistry behind a product. It' s a good water purification product, that's for sure. It is used for other things with efficacy in different industries. I am just not sure of it's value in treating such devasting diseases as Malaria and AIDS.

Kina.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Wayne
Kina

Wayne, do you remember that Rich posted about why MMS was banned in Canada? I think it was in a dialogue with you on some forum--maybe ProHealth? As I remember he thought that it had been banned because drug companies were concerned about it being potentially a cheap competition.

Sushi

Undisclosed

Wayne
Kina

Wayne, do you remember that Rich posted about why MMS was banned in Canada? I think it was in a dialogue with you on some forum--maybe ProHealth? As I remember he thought that it had been banned because drug companies were concerned about it being potentially a cheap competition.

Sushi

It had nothing to do with cheap competition. It was due to reports of adverse side-effects, no research related to what JIm Humble was claiming etc. Canada allows lots of supplements that have little or no reseaarch behind them. However, MMS not a supplement as it is in the category of a chemical bleach, it is not in any vitamin/supplement class. It has been bannned by other countries too.

There is only competition if something actually works for it's stated reason. I would assume that if MMS did work for all the stated things claimed, there would be millions of people cured of AIDS and Malaria all over the world. The problem with MMS is that it doesn't do what the inventor claims.

You can read all about it here -- https://sites.google.com/site/mmsdebunked/

kurt

Where chlorine dioxide is added to the drinking water supply, the safe concentration of chlorine dioxide is around 0.5 ppm. This level is approved as safe.

If you were to put one drop of the 6000 ppm CDS into 250 ml of water in a glass, that glass of water would then have a chlorine dioxide concentration of around 1 ppm, according to my calculations. Since one drop of water is around 0.04 ml in volume, and so one drop into a glass of 250 ml of water is a dilution factor of 250 / 0.04 = 6250.

Each additional drop of 6000 ppm CDS you put into this glass of water will raise the chlorine dioxide concentration by 1 ppm. So 10 drops of 6000 ppm CDS will give you a 10 ppm concentration in your 250 ml glass of water.

It seems that the recommended therapeutic concentration of chlorine dioxide is 24 ppm (see this webpage here).

But it may be wise to reduce the therapeutic concentration that you use to below 24 ppm, so that you bring it closer to the 0.5 ppm concentration which is considered safe.

Thus instead of 24 ppm, you might say use say 5 ppm, for example.

And it may be safer and easier on the body to take 5 daily doses of 5 ppm, rather than one daily dose of 24 ppm. It may even be more effective this way.

Thanks Hip, I was planning to work that out but glad you did instead :)

That's interesting that one drop of 6000 ppm CDS is diluted to 1 ppm and the safe dose is considered .5 ppm. My experience is that this safe dose is therapeutic. I use a 3000 ppm concentration, taking 2 drops (the most common dose that works for me), with the half concentration I am using (3000 rather than 6000 ppm) would be .5 ppm in 250 ml of water (which is about 8 oz or 1 cup). That should be good news for people wanting to try this out, they may be able to stay at the safe dose and still have some therapeutic effect.

So why then does not simply drinking water that has been purified have this therapeutic effect I wonder? Probably the chemistry of the CDS/MMS is more persistent, but one has to wonder. Maybe we don't have all the facts here.

Hip

So why then does not simply drinking water that has been purified have this therapeutic effect I wonder? Probably the chemistry of the CDS/MMS is more persistent, but one has to wonder. Maybe we don't have all the facts here.

Chlorine (Cl2) is used as the main disinfectant for the tap drinking water supply in many countries.

Presumably chlorine does not offer the same benefits as chlorine dioxide.

Chlorine dioxide (ClO2) is used in only a few countries as the main the disinfectant for the tap water supply. Germany and Italy seem to be the main European countries that make significant use of chlorine dioxide to disinfect drinking water, with France and Holland to a lesser degree, according to Table 1 in this page.

In some regions, monochloramine (NH2Cl) is also added to the tap water, in addition to chlorine. Several countries also make use of ozone (O3) as a drinking water disinfectant.